Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: O/T? Billie Holiday - Gloomy Sunday Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 18 October 2022 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

I'm getting the impression Billie Holiday's version of "Gloomy Sunday" is, if not the highest charting version, at least one of the most recognized (best?) version of this song known for its urban legend of "triggering suicide" in listeners.

Two questions:

#1: Does anybody know the highest-charting version of this Hungarian composition from 1933?

#2: Has anybody come across a preferred version of Billie Holiday's version? Some releases are noisy; others are using aggressive noise reduction. Do you have a go-to release for this recording?

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

ChicagoBill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 26 October 2022 at 8:18pm | IP Logged Quote ChicagoBill

A little before my time... Although I distinctly remember the older guys that worked my store before I took over discussing how this 78 rpm
record was merchandised. The 'older guys' I refer to were older than my parents and heavily into the record biz. This was one of those records
sold 'under the counter'. You had to ask for it. I believe it was on Okeh, whose masters were acquired by Columbia\Sony. The rumors that
listening to this record could cause such depression that you might contemplate suicide if you were in a fragile state of mind. As far as
'highest charting', because this was an 'under the counter' record, its sales were never reported to radio stations or trade publications. What
good would it do? It would never get played on major radio stations. My go-to version on this is "The Quintessential Billie Holiday Volume 9",
Columbia/Legacy CK 47031. The box set "The Legacy" C3K 47724 and "The Essence of Billie Holiday" CK 47917 were released soon after and probably
have a digital clone of 'Quintessential'. True, a lot of noise reduction is used here. I think it's over CEDAR-ized and I expressed my opinion
before on other posts about my disdain for CEDAR. -Bill.
Back to Top View ChicagoBill's Profile Search for other posts by ChicagoBill

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version