Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: David Bowie - Modern Love Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 29 May 2022 at 10:02pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

The killer opening guitar riff from Stevie Ray Vaughan sounded amazing on the radio in 1983. There was no way this couldn't have been a hit with an intro like that.

LP version (4:46)

I have the LP version on the 1980s-era release of Let's Dance (EMI America 46002). Note that the catalog number for 46001 was Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon; EMI was in a hurry to get Let's Dance released on CD.

It sounds really nice on Let's Dance. Nice EQ, excellent dynamic range, no hint of noise reduction on the fade.

The LP version turns up on Virgin/EMI's Best Of Bowie (2002), with slightly compressed/limited sound and a smiley-face EQ, but no evidence of noise reduction. Not as good as the '80-era EMI, but could be worse.

The 2018 remaster of the full-length Let's Dance CD is worse. Compressed/limited to death - avoid.

The LP version on swaitek's promo 50-CD The A List has a thin EQ and probably has extra noise reduction - avoid.

The version on the European multi-CD Dance Classic Pop Edition Vol. 2 (2010) is severely compressed/limited - avoid.

45 version (3:56)

Here are editing instructions for recreating the 45 edit, using timing from EMI's 1980s-era Let's Dance CD:

Segment 1
Extends from 0:00 to 0:02.4 of the LP version and the 45 edit.
Ends on the note immediately following the second long note.

Delete the 12 beats from 0:02.4 to 0:06.3 of the LP version.

Segment 2
Extends from 0:06.3 to 0:09.6 of the LP version.
Extends from 0:02.4 to 0:05.7 of the 45 edit.
Ends at a snare following two bass drum hits.

Delete the 12 beats from 0:09.6 to 0:13.5 of the LP version.

Segment 3
Begins on a snare.
Extends from 0:13.5 to 1:45.7 of the LP version.
Extends from 0:05.7 to 1:37.9 of the 45 edit.
Ends at a bass drum hit immediately following a snare/crash.

Delete the 32 beats from 1:45.7 to 1:56.4 of the LP version.

Segment 4
Begins on a downbeat that immediately starts the sax solo.
Extends from 1:56.4 to 2:54.5 of the LP version.
Extends from 1:37.9 to 2:36.0 of the 45 edit.
Ends on a snare immediately following the background vocals of "church on time".

Delete 2:54.5 to 3:25.3 of the LP version.

Segment 5
Begins on a snare immediately before the word "terrifies".
Extends from 3:25.3 to 4:46 (end of the song, excluding outro silence) of the LP version.
Extends from 2:36.0 to 3:56 (end of the song, excluding outro silence) of the LP version.

Your mixdown will run 3:56 (excluding outro silence), with edits at 0:02.4, 0:05.7, 1:37.9, and 2:36.0.

I think the true 45 edit appears on CD on the three-CD Columbia/Legacy version of Nothing Has Changed (2014), with decent dynamic range (not quite as large as the '80s-era EMI), no added noise reduction, and a slightly smiley-face EQ. This is likely as good as it will get for the 45 edit.

It turns up on the UK 2-CD Now That's What I Call Music Vol. 2 (2019 rerelease), with sound comparable to Nothing Has Changed (2014).

non-hit Ryko edit (3:56)

When Ryko got the rights to the David Bowie catalog, it seems that they never received tapes of the EMI 45 edits. So Ryko made their own. Ryko came close, but they were off on a few tracks, including "Modern Love". Too bad, because the sound quality of Ryko's homemade edits was excellent.

For "Modern Love", I think the first edit may be one note early, at 0:02.1. It's hard to tell.

More prominently, the edit at 1:37.9 is one beat early, so that the Ryko version includes a short two-snare-hit fill that's not on the 45. The two-snare-hit fill is right before the sax solo starts at 1:38 on the Ryko edit. The two-snare-hit fill is from 1:56.0 to 1:56.4 on the LP version. In hindsight, it's actually a more logical place to put the edit, but that's not what EMI released on the 45 in 1983.

The Ryko edit first appeared on Ryko's Changesbowie (1990), with the same analog transfer used on:
  • Ryko's 2-CD The Singles 1969-1993 (1993) - digitally identical
  • EMI Holland's 2-CD The Singles Collection (1993) - digital clone, about 0.3 dB quieter
  • Time-Life's Sounds Of The Eighties Vol. 1 The Rockin' Eighties (1994)

Edited by crapfromthepast on 31 May 2022 at 12:42pm

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 May 2022 at 6:08am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

Thanks for the handiwork, Ron!

Yes, the guitar riff was an immediate hook, but the best
part of the record to my ears was Omar Hakim's drumming.
Outstanding.

Edited to add - I always thought it was Tony Thompson on
the traps 'cos it sounds like his style & he is in the
video, but producer Nile Rodgers has said it was Omar in
the studio.

Andy

Edited by AndrewChouffi on 30 May 2022 at 6:18am
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 May 2022 at 7:04am | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

Thanks Ron! As always much appreciated!

kaqueno
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 May 2022 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote kaqueno

Ron: all your post are of high quality, thanks.

I was convinced that I had the 45 edit, I see that I did
not, thanks again

Edited by kaqueno on 30 May 2022 at 10:38am

David Pro
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 May 2022 at 12:33pm | IP Logged Quote David Pro

The true 45 edit also appears on
the UK release of Best of
Bowie
(2002). Virgin's
compilation The Best of David
Bowie: 1980/1987
also features
the proper 45 edit of "Modern
Love".
Back to Top View David Pro's Profile Search for other posts by David Pro

Robert
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 June 2022 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote Robert

Maybe someone mentioned this and I missed it, but I think I found the correct 45 edit on the Bowie 3-CD “Platinum Collection”(Virgin-EMI). However, while the CD Box says “Platinum Collection,” the individual discs say “The Best Of David Bowie 1974-1979.” It matches my promo 45 except that it fades just a little bit early and misses the words “Modern Love” at the very end of the fade. It’s easily fixed by taking it from the LP. The only problem is that Pat lists this CD as neither/nor. The only number I can find is the SKU # 94633 13042-5. Anybody have any insight into this? I haven't been this confused since my wedding night.

Robert
Back to Top View Robert's Profile Search for other posts by Robert

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version