Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: IFPI copy-controlled CD Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
AdvprosD
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 09 May 2022 at 6:03pm | IP Logged Quote AdvprosD

I encountered my first instance of this process today. So naturally, I looked around here to see if anyone has had issues with this before.

I couldn't find any direct references to IFPI as a copy-control, but it has been referenced in catalog or matrix numbers in a few threads.
I noted that my old USB CD reader did just fine with this disc from 2004 and advertised copy-control, though it did take a bit of extra time to rip.
Currently, I am sampling through and haven't discovered any errors or issues using Windows media player.

I discovered an old discussion on this on DBpoweramp's site from 2014. It seems this was a hit and miss issue that depended on the player, or rom reading the disc.

The disc that has this "Feature" is a UK Time-Life issue by Time Warner Direct Holdings. Did they have any discs made here in the USA made this way? Also,
has anyone encountered a disc that wouldn't perform normally because of the process added? In the DBpoweramp discussion, they mentioned a Peter Gabriel
disc that seemed to be rather tough to crack.

I'm guessing that this process was abandoned at some point, as this is the first disc I've ever seen with it.

thecdguy
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 May 2022 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote thecdguy

I know around 2004-05, I had a few GH comps that had copy control, "The Best Of Breathe" and "The Essential Dion". I never tried to rip the Dion
CD, but as I recall, I had a problem with the Breathe CD in my computer and had to use a CD Recorder and from that newly-made CD-R I was able to
rip it on my PC. I also remember having problems with a Silver Convention GH CD at the time, but I'm not sure it had Copy Control. I had to do
the same thing with it that I did with the Breathe CD.

LunarLaugh
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 May 2022 at 9:36pm | IP Logged Quote LunarLaugh

Dave Matthews Band's "Stand Up" album was initially
released as a copy-protected CD here in the USA. I am not
certain if a non-copy-protected release ever appeared later
in this country or not. But whenever you attempted to rip
the audio to a computer, the songs would rip them with the
file bits out of sequence. It came out sounding like
someone was holding the fast forward button down on the CD
player. Very irritating and, in some cases, Copy Protection
technology meant compromised audio quality or actually
having the consumer's computer winding up with malicious
software installed.

AdvprosD
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 May 2022 at 10:37pm | IP Logged Quote AdvprosD

I did a little more looking online and discovered that the malicious software is what makes the rip sound bad. The audio files are probably not written with it.

It appears to have no other effect on the PC except to garble the CDA audio tracks of that particular disc you are trying to rip.

My guess would be that this was developed while Windows XP and the Mac OS versions allowed it. Windows 10 appears to ignore the copy-protect included on the disc,
as I didn't notice any abnormalities during playback of the files. Perhaps someone using Linux would also be able to ignore it.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version