Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Meat Loaf - "Two Out Of Three..." Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 22 May 2006 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Pat's (3:50/4:26) promo 45 info is correct. But because so many Top 40 stations started playing the LP version, Epic put out a 2nd promo 45, a "DJ RE-SERVICE", listed time (5:23), saying "LONG VERSION", with the full LP version on both sides (even though they also called the 4:26 v on the first promo 45 the "LONG VERSION".) Deadwax is ZSS 164737-1F.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 January 2008 at 8:44pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

It would appear the 3:57 length of "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad" on the Super '70s CD (Razor & Tie 7076) is the short commercial 45 version, but can anyone confirm this for certain? If there's one thing I've learned over the years when it comes to collecting Top 40 hits on CD, it's never assume anything!
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 January 2008 at 10:10pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Todd, yes, my copy of Super '70s has the correct short 45 version. I just compared it with a dub of the 45.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 January 2008 at 10:35pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I can even go one step further for you, Todd. I just pulled out the Bat Out Of Hell CD, and I compared the short 45 dub, long promo 45 dub, LP version from Bat..., and short 45 version from Super 70s. The short 45 version is a unique mix!

The dead giveaway is the intro. On the LP version, Meat's mic sounds like it was left up in the mix during the soft piano part. You can hear some room ambiance and what sounds like jewelry jingling. The short 45 version does not have any of this in the mix.

After a closer listen, I don't hear any different instrumentation; however, the single version has some instruments brought forward (strings, for example), while others are farther back (some of the guitars). The bottom line is that the true short 45 version cannot be created from the LP version, so I'm very glad to have the Razor & Tie disc in my collection.

Now, the long promo 45 version is an edit of the LP version. You can hear the ambiance and jingling noise during the intro, so this version was created from the LP. I'll report back with the edit points shortly.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 January 2008 at 10:48pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

To create the DJ edit, first you'll have to pitch up the Bat Out Of Hell CD version by +0.75%.

- Remove the section of the LP version from 3:17 to 3:41, editing on the snare hit.

- Chop off everything from 4:27 to the end, and create a fade out from 4:10 to 4:27.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 January 2008 at 11:43pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Thanks very much for all the detailed info, Aaron! When I tried to do a search for the "Super '70s" CD on several major retail websites, the search results produced hundreds of titles and none of them were the correct one. It's a pretty good bet the disc is now out-of-print, given that most Razor & Tie releases are discontinued after only a few years.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 January 2008 at 10:33pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Anyone have any info on a German import, Meat Loaf & Friends? Could this CD contain the short 45 version?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 May 2015 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

The oldest LP version on CD is probably Epic's Bat Out Of Hell (CD released 1984 according to Discogs). This version has left/right tape alignment problems, so that it sounds really swishy when summed to mono. These discs use the same analog transfer as Bat, and all suffer from the same l/r alignment problems:
  • Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 10 1978 (1990; differently-EQ'd digital clone)
  • Razor & Tie's 2-CD Those Rocking '70s (1991; differently-EQ'd digital clone)
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Rock Dreams (1993)
There's a different analog transfer on Sony's 2-CD Feel The Love (1994), which has proper left/right tape alignment and sounds better than Bat. I'm confident that this comes from a single-artist Meat Loaf disc (a best-of or a remaster of Bat, but I can't confirm.) There are digital clones, both digitally exactly 1 dB quieter, on:
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Body Talk Vol. 16 Sweet Nothings (1997)
  • Time-Life's Body Talk The Language Of Love (1998)
All three of the above sound quite good.

One outlier that isn't based on any of the above - Realm's 3-CD Ultimate Love Classics Vol. 1 (2002), which also has proper left/right tape alignment.

The commercial 45 mix is available on Starland Music/Warner Special Products' 2-CD Lost In Love (1994). The same analog transfer is used for:
  • Razor & Tie's 2-CD Super '70s (1995; absolute polarity inverted, which doesn't affect sound quality)
Both of the above CDs are pretty uncommon. The R&T disc is likely crazy-expensive, due to the fanaticism of the Steve Hoffman forum members. Super '70s doesn't sound any better than other comparable Time-Life and Warner Special Products compilations, but the Hoffmanites will pay $$$$ for the Steve Hoffman mastering credit.

Finally, there's a remix of the track on the 2-CD Very Best Of (1998), which sounds great, but isn't the original mix.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 19 May 2015 at 7:02am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version