Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: level 42 "something about you" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 16 May 2006 at 7:56pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

pat

the 45 actually runs 3:42 while the 45's face states the run time as 3:48

this should be noted in the db...

prisdeej
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 January 2024 at 10:30pm | IP Logged Quote prisdeej

Do all 45 versions on CD contain the dropout on the introduction?

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 January 2024 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I pulled the 45 version of Level 42's "Something About You" from the following CD sources in my music library, and I don't hear an audio dropout during the intro on either one of them:

Level 42 Very Best of (UK import) (Polydor 559373) (run time: 3:45)
VA Rock of the 80's Volume 10 (Priority)(run time: 3:42)

As for sound quality, I find that the Very Best of CD is mastered somewhat on the "hot" side with added compression (though none of the audio wave peaks appear to be "clipped" beyond 0 dB), boosted treble, and runs several seconds longer than the actual 45 length. On the other hand, the sound on the Rock of the 80's Volume 10 disc is quite good, with a nice EQ, and has a nearly fully intact dynamic range and very bare minimal clipping, though the volume level could perhaps have ideally been mastered one or two dbs lower to prevent any wave peaks from being clipped at all. Considering the Priority label's reputation for sometimes using suspect source tapes (i.e. its Mega Hits Dance Classics series), I suspect most collectors would be quite satisfied with the sound quality of "Something Without You" on the Rock of the 80's Volume 10 CD, though I'm sure someone else on the message board could possibly recommend an even better source.

Out of curiosity, Dave, at exactly which point on the 45 version are you hearing the dropout?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 January 2024 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I don't hear a dropout, really, just a small amount of noise in the left channel. I never noticed it until you pointed it out, and I've heard the song hundreds of times; it's one of my favorite songs of all time.

The little bit of noise is found on Level Best, and any compilations that use the same analog transfer as Level Best, which is just about everything released before 2000 or so. The discs that don't have the noise bit are mastered way too loud, with compression/limiting/clipping that makes the sound far worse than the small noise bit on the intro.

I should point out that I adore the Level 42 Level Best collection. It rounds up all of their single versions, and it's just about perfect sonically.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 27 January 2024 at 9:56pm

prisdeej
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 January 2024 at 11:04pm | IP Logged Quote prisdeej

Todd Ireland wrote:
I pulled the 45 version of Level 42's "Something About You" from the following CD sources in my music library, and I don't hear an audio dropout during the intro
on either one of them:

Level 42 Very Best of (UK import) (Polydor 559373) (run time: 3:45)
VA Rock of the 80's Volume 10 (Priority)(run time: 3:42)

As for sound quality, I find that the Very Best of CD is mastered somewhat on the "hot" side with added compression (though none of the audio wave peaks appear to be "clipped"
beyond 0 dB), boosted treble, and runs several seconds longer than the actual 45 length. On the other hand, the sound on the Rock of the 80's Volume 10 disc is quite good,
with a nice EQ, and has a nearly fully intact dynamic range and very bare minimal clipping, though the volume level could perhaps have ideally been mastered one or two dbs lower to
prevent any wave peaks from being clipped at all. Considering the Priority label's reputation for sometimes using suspect source tapes (i.e. its Mega Hits Dance Classics
series), I suspect most collectors would be quite satisfied with the sound quality of "Something Without You" on the Rock of the 80's Volume 10 CD, though I'm sure someone else
on the message board could possibly recommend an even better source.

Out of curiosity, Dave, at exactly which point on the 45 version are you hearing the dropout?

The first second on the introduction, it always stood out to me. Perhaps not a dropout, almost like a click or a tick, it's very brief. Perhaps Ron G can give us give us a mastering
history cause I know he's a Level 42 fan! I can't be the only one that hears it, cause the short versions supplied on TM Century GoldDiscs never had this anomaly. I can't vouch for
the accuracy of the TM discs, but those were the one's we dubbed into my station library back in 1999.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 January 2024 at 12:03am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

The TM Century version of "Something About You" was a homemade edit from the World Machine LP version. (Same with The A List (1994), which used the mastering from the TM Century library.)

The first release of the 45 version from a tape source was Level Best (1989). I'm not sure when TM Century did their own edit, but I'd bet it's before 1989.

Virtually all the compilations until 2000 or so used the same analog transfer as Level Best, including:
  • EMI UK's 2-CD Now 1985 (1993) - fades early
  • Razor & Tie's Back To The '80s (1994) - mastered too loud and clips a bit
  • Priority's Rock Of The '80s Vol. 10 (1994) - adds compression/limiting
  • Time-Life's Sounds Of The Eighties Vol. 17 The Mid-'80s Take Two (1996) - differently EQ'd digital clone of Rock Of The '80s Vol. 10
  • Universal's Pure '80s (1999) - much louder, plus adds extra compression/limiting
All of the above have some flaw (fades early, or too loud, or extra compression/limiting).

The best-sounding version I've heard is Level 42's Level Best (1989).

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version