Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Vince Guaraldi "Cast Your Fate..." Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
AdvprosD
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12 December 2020 at 7:12pm | IP Logged Quote AdvprosD

I'm down in the basement again listening to stuff I wanted to be sure ripped well. In particular, the song "Cast Your Fate To The Wind."

I'm needing to go find out which source this came from, but I'm pretty sure it was a Time Life collection.

To me, it sounds as though this has been taken from a master that had some tape capstan issues or a platter that wasn't centered properly. The song is one I know well from many years ago, though I don't
think I've ever really listened to it as closely as I did today. I'm just wondering if there are others who also know this one and the odd way it sounds. I tried searching the artist and also the song here,
but I didn't find any hits on my search.

Now, I'm off to look for other discs I have with this song to compare.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 December 2020 at 8:32pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

The oldest CD I have with the Vince Guaraldi's "Cast Your Fate To The Wind" is a giant multi-disc promotional set called Warner Chappell Song Catalog (1991). I think it's from vinyl here.

There's a new analog transfer on Time-Life's Your Hit Parade Vol. 34 '60s Instrumentals (1993). Here, the EQ is not as bright as the Warner set. I think the stereo separation is a little better here than the Warner set. The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Time-Life's Instrumental Favorites Swinging '60s (2001)
  • TM Century track no. 00019710, rolls off the high end; noise reduction?
I didn't notice any tape-related issues (warble when summed to mono, etc.)

AdvprosD
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 December 2020 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote AdvprosD

crapfromthepast wrote:
The oldest CD I have with the Vince Guaraldi's "Cast Your Fate To The Wind" is a giant multi-disc promotional set called Warner Chappell Song Catalog (1991). I think it's from vinyl here.

I took a peek at my playlist today and found that it was from your above mentioned collection. I don't know the exact relationship between Time Warner and Warner Chappell.

"Warble" is a good description of what I perceive in this recording. The tonal ups and downs which are very slight. So, now I will need to go looking for another copy to compare with. I think I may also
have the Time-Life collection you also mentioned. I'll listen to it and see how it compares.

My big thing this next year will be getting all of my music properly catalogued. I know it will take a lot of time.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 December 2020 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

If by "catalogued", you mean ripped and tagged, then I have two unsolicited recommendations:

(1) Rip into a lossless format that uses tags, like FLAC. You can check your ripping accuracy as you go by using a ripper program that uses Accuraterip, like Exact Audio Copy. You can also check your rippin accuracy afterward, using a program like CUETools.

(2) Make sure every file is properly tagged. I can't emphasize enough how important the tags are. You'll need title, artist, and album at a bare minimum.

AdvprosD
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 December 2020 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote AdvprosD

Absolutely sound advice!

Back when I ripped a ton of my collection to Mp3, it was simply for the sole purpose of being able to bring as much music to a DJ job without lugging in CDs cassettes and vinyl. Not to mention all the other equipment I
would need to play it. Somehow I always knew the price of hard drive storage was going to get to the point where putting much of it away in a "Lossless" format would actually be practical. So, unlike other "Jocks" I
associated with, I didn't sell off my CDs and vinyl after I had a lot of it ripped. In fact, I picked up a bunch of music collections from those guys as they figured it was pointless to have redundant copies.

Now, I stare down the immense project of once again revisiting these same discs for making those lossless copies and the extra tag information. It's nice to have dropped in here to be able to read about the good and,
bad ideas folks have had doing the exact same thing(s) for their collections. It seems this is finally coming together after so many years of looking at boxes of music and wishing for the time. Did I mention that I
was retired? I also had a helpful nudge from the better half when she suggested that all that music was useless unless I figured out how to put it on display shelves. Now that it's shelved, I need to ripp it all again!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version