Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Shalamar - A Night To Remember Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 18 November 2020 at 11:10pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

I was pleasantly surprised to find this one in the database since it only hit #44 on the Billboard Hot 100.

More disappointing was not finding a CD that contains the single version.

I have a short version from a compilation which I thought was the single version, but when I compared it to a YouTube video labeled "single version" I discovered they are different edits.

Does anybody know of a linear digital source for the single version of Shalamar's "A Night To Remember," or can it be edited down or faded from the LP version?

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

Robert
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 November 2020 at 9:28am | IP Logged Quote Robert

Gene, I have a 4:10 edit of this song on Disky - Best of 1982-83. I have assumed it was the 45, but now I'm not so sure. How does this compare with the YouTube video? I can shoot you a copy if you'd like for comparison. Or maybe somebody has some info to share. Or is that the version you're speaking of?

Edited by Robert on 19 November 2020 at 9:29am
Back to Top View Robert's Profile Search for other posts by Robert

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 November 2020 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote NightAire

The Disky collection is not the one I have, so you may have the right version.

This is the YouTube video that claims to be the U.S. single version. PLEASE NOTE this is not an official source nor does it appear to be coming from a vinyl source... so I don't know if this is REALLY the single version or not.

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 November 2020 at 11:51am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

There are few songs that sound as good on the radio as "A Night To Remember". That 36-second intro is just plain spectacular for long announcements, legal IDs, or whatever syllables we care to pronounce over it. My opinion, of course, since I'm the one doing the pronouncing.

LP version

I have the LP version on The Right Stuff/Solar's Shalamar collection Greatest Hits (1999), where it sounds positively dy-no-mite and runs 5:07. There are longer versions running 5:11 on two other Right Stuff/Solar discs (Friends and Anthology), but I don't have either one. The Right Stuff did a great job with the Shalamar catalog (and the Al Green catalog, too).

I also have it on Priority's Mega Hits Dance Classics Vol. 5 (1989), where it sounds better-than-average for Priority collections, but abruptly shortens the fade to 4:59.

And on Capitol's Ultimate Collection (2006), where it has severely boosted treble and bass ("smiley face EQ"). Avoid. This whole CD sounds awful.

45 version

To edit the 45 down from the LP version, delete the 96 beats from the bass drum hit just before the downbeat at 2:55.3 (timing from the Right Stuff GH) to the bass drum hit just before the downbeat at 3:48.4.

The fade has a long tail, and I'm not sure what the actual 45 length is. Your edit will run 4:15, if you use the Right Stuff GH as your source and don't hasten the fade.

The 45 edit appears on CD, with the fade shortened as noted:
  • MCA UK's Shalamar Greatest Hits (1986) - fade shortened to run 4:11
  • Connoisseur Collection UK's 5-CD One Hundred Dance Hits Of The Eighties (1990) - fade shortened to run 4:09
  • Disky UK's 2-CD Best Of 1982-1983 (2003) - differently-EQ'd digital clone of MCA GH, fade shortened to run 4:09
The Disky disc really spruces up the EQ, boosting the high end to a nice level. This is one of the rare cases where I prefer the EQ-adjusted version over the original mastering.

Non-hit 2007 edit running 3.29

It's on Time-Life's 2-CD Uptown Saturday Night Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now (2007). This version includes a bunch of edits that shorten the whole song. It's really well done, and it sounds terrific on this CD, but it's not the 45.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 19 November 2020 at 11:58am

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 November 2020 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

CFTP, that's perfect!!! Thank you so much for your always-expert analysis.

Owasso, Oklahoma USA

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 November 2020 at 7:45pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Thanks for bringing this song up. I went on Qobuz and
grabbed the LP version from Friends and made the
simple edit to create the 45 version. My file runs 4:15.

Erie, PA
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version