Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Fortunes - "You’ve Got Your Troubles" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 15 May 2006 at 7:27pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

I remember while growing up, hearing the fade ending on this about half the time on my AM radio, and the cold horn ending the other half. Now I finally know why. An old collector buddy of mine, "Mop Top Mike" Markesich, showed me his Press white-label promo 45 for it, that I've been trying to find for years. It had the faded ending on one side of it, and the cold horn ending version on the other side of it. I played both sides of it to be sure; it was true. Didn't jot down the deadwax info for both sides of Mike's DJ 45, Pat, but I can e-mail him and get it for you if it would help you.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 May 2006 at 4:43am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

If you could just get the timing information on both sides that should be sufficient. I assume the cold horn ending is the LP version ending that you are referring to.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 May 2006 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Pat, I have e-mailed Mike Markesich for the timings on both sides, and will post them when I receive them. And, yes, I was referring to the LP ending as the cold horn ending.

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 June 2007 at 6:52pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Unfortunately, my friend Mike M. had already sold that promo 45 test pressing before he could furnish me with its timings. But I can at least report that my commercial 45, which is mono, features the faded ending, has a listed time of (3:00), but an actual time of (3:06).

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 February 2010 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Wondering if there were multiple pressings. I got in a Press 45-9773 45 today that has a listed time of 3:00 but actual time of 3:10. 45 has a slower pitch than what's on CD. This copy of the 45 starts to fade at 3:01, but has a decayed/almost cold ending at 3:10 with ..."you've got your troubles.." then the keyboard decays/ends almost cold at 3:10.

Deadwax is DR 35776 - 1E... then a triangle shape and 57841.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 February 2010 at 9:28pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

John, Press typically had both Monarch and Columbia pressings during the mid-'60s. Your copy appears to be from Monarch, as indicated by the delta (triangle) number. I wonder if Jim might have a Columbia pressing.

On my original Press mono LP, the track's length is (3:22). Matching the fade points from your slower-pitched 45, it times out to (3:07).

Edited by Yah Shure on 05 February 2010 at 9:29pm
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 February 2010 at 7:48am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Jim,
Could your friend's (now sold) copy have been either a reissue or a foreign release? Every London-distributed promo 45 I've ever seen from 1964 on with the exception of most Deram singles had the multi-tone orange swirl label (similar to London 45s), I've never seen a white-label London promo from that era.
Another thing that makes me wonder if it was a reissue is the long version/short version. It was rare enough in 1965 for there to be a radio-only edit of a song, I can't think of a single instance of one where the album version was serviced to radio (other than an occasional album cut that was never commercially released on 45 like Simon & Garfunkel's "Silent Night 7:00 News").

My promo copy is styrene, has the orange label and the fade ending with a listed time of 3:00. Only deadwax info is DR35776-1A.

Edited by Hykker on 06 February 2010 at 7:59am
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 February 2010 at 10:19am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Steve, I appreciate your orange label promo info - I don't own one. I, too, had also never before (or since) seen a white-label promo from the London/Associated family of labels; they were always orange. The promo 45 I saw/tried later to buy had just a plain white label, on both sides, with no label design/print on it at all. All of the title/artist details appeared to be "rubber-stamped" onto both sides of the two blank white labels. My friend Mike is finally about to publish a long-anticipated book, called "Teenbeat Mayhem". He is the #1 most thorough music researcher I have ever known, and I know dozens. If it was a boot/import, #1, he would immediately have picked up on that. Deadwax, pressing plants, he knows it all. #2, it was styrene, making its existance as an import unlikely. My main reason for "believing" in the legitimacy of the U.S. promo I saw is the fact that I heard about a 50/50 split of the short/long versions on my AM radio back in 1965. This always perplexed me when I was a kid. How common was it, for AM radio back then, to reject a 45 version of a hit, and instead decide to pull out a Fortunes LP to play, just to feature the full horn ending? Besides, my best research regarding this Fortunes self-titled, non-BB-charting 1965 debut LP indicates that the album may not yet have even been released stateside until December of '65; whereas the single was already peaking in the U.S. by early October. My point: radio likely didn't even have an LP (with the long version) in their possession when the song was a current hit, yet I heard it. What could they have possibly played it off of then, if the only U.S. promo 45 had the fade, excepting for a possible UK import LP copy? Hence, my belief that a long/short promo 45 of the song legitimately existed in 1965 continues. That, combined with the fact that I've both seen it and held it in my hand! That faded 45 version, at just :15 seconds shorter than the full, cold end version, was/is truly a train wreck, to my ears. Besides, in later years, us receiving similarly-rubber-stamped white label promo 45s to the station was not really all that uncommon. When I saw this 45, I was on the air, doing a hectic request show. Mike had left the studio and gone home before that show ended, or I would've made complete notes as to that promo's details. Just wasn't meant to be, I guess.....

Edited by jimct on 06 February 2010 at 5:04pm

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2010 at 5:38pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

Guys, i have seen LOTS of mid 60's London family label releases on white label promos...they're not that uncommon, at least to east coast antique shops, I guess....I recently saw some Round Robin promos on Domain that were distributed by London which had the plain white labels.... and London had some stock labels that were pressed on plain white stock as well, and these sometimes get passed off as promos by unsuspecting sellers as well...my point is, they certainly did exist and certainly can be found with enough searching....

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2010 at 6:48pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Tom, thanks for your clarification. I painted my "all-London-promo-45s-had-orange-labels" statement with too broad a brush. Allow me to be more specific. The London "exclusive-orange-promo-45-label" era coincided with their stock 45 label design change, from "white-with-purple-circles" to "different-shades-of-blue-swirl", in the early months of 1965. To your point, it was absolutely mindboggling to note how many subsidiary label 45s that London pressed/issued during both 1963 & 1964, including those "Round Robin" singles you speak of, Tom. (For example, even the earliest Joe Tex singles on Dial were distributed by London!) And yes, many of those assorted promo & stock copies both appeared on plain white 45 labels; I do own dozens myself. A small "Promotion Only" label statement was usually the only way to distinguish between the promo/stock copies. And yes, I have also seen white label stock copies called promos, in error. So, please allow me to tighten up/synch the orange-label-promo-years with the "different shades of blue swirl" years, from sometime in 1965, until approximately 1976.

KentT
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2010 at 7:54pm | IP Logged Quote KentT

The Promo of this is really a White Label. There must have been 2 different variations. Mine has the fade out version and is a Columbia pressing from Terre Haute, Indiana. Timing on my station library copy is 3:00. WFLI in Chattanooga, TN played this version which corresponds to the commercial single I also own. My commercial copy is also a Columbia pressing from Terre Haute, Indiana!

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 February 2010 at 7:00am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Weird. I have never seen a white-label promo of a London-distributed single prior to the mid-70s. They've all been the orange swirl label, or in the case of Deram stock label with a "promotional copy" notation. Maybe some pressing plants had occasional shortages of promo labels?

BTW, the orange swirl promos pre-date the blue swirl stock copies by a good 6 months...I have several from mid-1964-on that are this way, but the stock copies are the white & purple labels. This is not to say that there weren't some blue swirl labels beginning in mid-1964, but I've never seen them. London promos I've seen prior to mid-64 were stock label with "promotional copy" notation.

Edited by Hykker on 16 February 2010 at 7:02am
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 February 2010 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Steve, the "different pressing plants/labels used variations" was the reason why I was somewhat vague as to the exact start of the stock swirl label. I'd account for the earlier surfacing of your orange swirl promo 45s this way. From my experience, labels didn't normally use up "old label design stock" for promo 45s; only for stock copies. And, for a longer period than I noticed for most other label design changes, I own a bigger-than-usual amount of London stock 45s issued on both the white/purple and the blue swirl labels. (My 45 boxes from this time are deeply buried right now, or I'd provide specific examples of this - my apologies.)

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 November 2013 at 6:18pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial 45 issued as press 9773 lists the run time on
the label as 3:00 but actually runs 3:03.....my run out
groove etching is 'DR-35776-1D'.....if you fade the full
length 3:21 version for 0:10 from 2:53 to 3:03 you can
effectively re-create the vinyl 45 version.....looks like
there are multiple running time versions for this 45....

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 June 2015 at 6:26pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

To date, I still have not seen a white label promo of
this record but have had two different orange swirl
promo pressings pass through my hands, both matching my
stock 45 pressing with the fade out...

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic