Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Paula Abdul "...The Way That You Love Me" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 15 May 2006 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

I came across a listing of two versions of Abdul's "It's Just The Way That You Love Me" I don't think I have heard of before, on UK 12" and CD single releases:

* UK Remix
* All The Way Drums Mix

Anybody heard these and has an opinion, or knows who mixed them?

I have the versions on the USA commercial 12" and 7" singles, but the two above are not present.
Back to Top View elcoleccionista's Profile Search for other posts by elcoleccionista

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 June 2006 at 10:07pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

My promo 45 has a "Dance Edit" on one side; listed time (3:50); actual time (3:49)(Deadwax ST VR 55961-1). The other has a "Radio Edit"; listed time (4:03); actual time (4:04), which was also the stock 45v (Deadwax ST VR 55960-1). My station played the Dance Edit.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 June 2006 at 10:11pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

Jim,

Did that promo 45 come out as the first release (2nd single from the LP) or the second release ('6th' single)?

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 June 2006 at 11:32pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Andy: Joel Whitburn has kind of screwed me up here. He lists 2 DIFFERENT listings for Vanilla Fudge's "You Keep Me Hangin' On", the non-Top-40 '67 run, and the '68 Top-10 run, which both used the same 45 number. Yet, for this Paula Abdul song, he chooses to just APPEND the '89 Top-10 run to the "#88 in 1988" run, from 40 weeks earlier, which also used the same 45 number. Blatant inconsistency on his part! Because I file my music by Whitburn's Pop Annual, there is NO separate place for me to file the #88 1988 45 run version, to distinguish any possible 45 differences for you, Andy. Both releases were on Virgin 7-99282. For the heck of it, I also checked my '89 Promo CD singles: We DID get one. (PRCD-2931). 2 tracks: 1-LP Edit, with a listed and actual time of (3:59), and 2-Single Mix, with a listed time of (4:00), but an actual time of (3:59). If the '89 promo 45 had DIFFERENT versions than the '88 promo 45, I would've noticed, and grabbed it - my guess: the '89 promo 45 was identical to the '88 promo 45, since we went with a 45 version to start. Maybe the promo CD single came in ONLY when it was clear it was becoming a hit - or, maybe we just liked the sound of that "Dance Edit" vinyl version better. My note on the CD single says we switched from the promo 45 "Dance Edit" to the promo CD single "LP Edit", once we moved it from current to re-current. I think I've CREATED more problems than I've solved with this post; now we've got 2 different (3:59) versions, a (3:49) Dance Edit, and the (4:04) Radio Edit/Stock 45 version. Clear as mud!

Edited by jimct on 27 June 2006 at 11:34pm

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 June 2006 at 5:38am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

jimct wrote:
Andy: Joel Whitburn has kind of screwed me up here. He lists 2 DIFFERENT listings for Vanilla Fudge's "You Keep Me Hangin' On", the non-Top-40 '67 run, and the '68 Top-10 run, which both used the same 45 number. Yet, for this Paula Abdul song, he chooses to just APPEND the '89 Top-10 run to the "#88 in 1988" run, from 40 weeks earlier, which also used the same 45 number. Blatant inconsistency on his part! Because I file my music by Whitburn's Pop Annual, there is NO separate place for me to file the #88 1988 45 run version, to distinguish any possible 45 differences for you, Andy.

Jim, you must be looking at an OLD "Pop Annual" book! The book that covers 1955-99 has that Paula Abdul song split into the two different chart runs.
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 June 2006 at 5:46am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Paul: I do have a paperback on that 'til '99 book, but use it only for "first time entries." To be fair to ties, Joel tends to flip-flop the order with each new issue, which is unwieldy to maintain. So, once it made its first book, I go with that entry for the duration. I appreciate that info, sir. Sure wish Joel would've gotten it right the first time, though.....

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 July 2006 at 8:24am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

In the database, "It's Just the Way That You Love Me" is shown as running 3:57 on the Mystic Music Presents Sweet Love CD (Mystic Music/Warner Special Products 3537), yet contains the comment: (45 version). Since commercial single copies run 4:05, is the Sweet Love disc missing the first part of the 45 version just like on Paula Abdul's Greatest Hits CD? If so, Pat might want to update the database to reflect this.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 02 July 2006 at 8:25am
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 October 2007 at 1:21pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Todd Ireland wrote:
In the database, "It's Just the Way That You Love Me" is shown as running 3:57 on the Mystic Music Presents Sweet Love CD (Mystic Music/Warner Special Products 3537), yet contains the comment: (45 version). Since commercial single copies run 4:05, is the Sweet Love disc missing the first part of the 45 version just like on Paula Abdul's Greatest Hits CD? If so, Pat might want to update the database to reflect this.

I can confirm that the Sweet Love CD doesn't have the "Honey I ain't impressed with your material things things things" intro. That intro is on the "Radio edit" (printed time 4:03), which is the A-side of my commercial single (B-side - a 5:03 "dub" version) and the A-side of my promo 45 (B-side - a 3:50 "dance edit").

The full 45 version with the intro also appears on a Virgin promo CD from 1988, which was issued to push the song the first time it was released as the 2nd single from Forever Your Girl:

Virgin Singles Sampler (Virgin PRCD2546, 1988)

The Virgin promo has 7 songs total, including "Turn Back The Clock" by Johnny Hates Jazz, "Take It So Hard" by Keith Richards, "Wild World" by Maxi Priest, "Five Long Years" by Colin James, "Happy Ever After" by Julia Fordham and "All I Wanted" by In Tua Nua.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 October 2007 at 7:31pm | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

Would the LP Edit be the same as found in the second version of the video that accompanied the re-release? It sounds to be a simple edit of the version on Forever Your Girl.
Back to Top View Underground Dub's Profile Search for other posts by Underground Dub

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 May 2008 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

Okay, I can confirm that the LP Edit found on the second issue promo CD from 1989 is identical to the soundtrack heard on the second filmed version of the video. This is a simple edit of the original LP Version found on the Forever Your Girl album.

Catalog number is PROCD2931. No new mixing/recording so this retains its 1988 copyright despite the later release year.

Track 2 on this promo I found to be most interesting.

Since the 2000 release of Paula Abdul's Greatest Hits, I, and countless others have expressed dislike of the liberty we assumed the compilation producers took in removing the acappella intro heard on all commercial 7"/cassingle/etc copies of "(It's Just) The Way That You Love Me". As noted, this "incomplete" version has since made appearances on various artists compilations as well.

It turns out this was a DJ edit in Virgin's vault all along. It appears as the second track, Single Mix, on this second issue promo CD (again, PRCD2931). Single Mix is the exact version heard on both 2000s Greatest Hits and 2007s Greatest Hits: Straight Up and is nothing more than the commercial "hit" version (7" Radio Edit) with nearly 6 seconds removed by starting the track just after the final echo decay from the acappella intro ("Honey I ain't impressed with your material things...").

Edited by Underground Dub on 12 May 2008 at 3:40pm
Back to Top View Underground Dub's Profile Search for other posts by Underground Dub

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 May 2008 at 9:28pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Good info, Underground Dub... Glad you could help us solve that mystery edit!
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 12:56pm | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

Nice piece of info Underground! I was among those who believed they had chopped off the acapella intro for the compilation.
Back to Top View elcoleccionista's Profile Search for other posts by elcoleccionista

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 November 2008 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

both commercial 45 and commercial cassingle are issued with the same catalog number, virgin 99282, and both have a listed run time as 4:03, but actually run 4:06.......both formats have the "radio edit" version.......

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 March 2019 at 11:57am | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

The LP Edit found on SRNCX101 UK CD single (3:58) fades
seven seconds earlier than the LP Edit found on US promo
CD PRCD2931 (4:02).

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version