Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Lean on Me" Club Nouveau Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 14 May 2006 at 3:01am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

According to Whitburn, the 7" version of this single sold 600,000 and the 12" version 400,000. Two questions, the first for Pat:

1. Pat, are you sure the 7:37 version on Thump "Club Nouveau Greatest Hits" is a re-recording? That's awfully close to the 7:42 listed runtime on the 12-inch, though I don't own either.

2. Has this 7:42 12-inch remix ever been issued on CD?
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 May 2006 at 5:57am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I do not have the 12" single of this song but I can tell you that there is a different vocal on the Thump version that you can hear from 3:12 to 3:28 when compared to the LP version. This is in addition to the gospel style vocal on the introduction found on the Thump cd not found on the LP version. I guess it is conceivable that the different vocal was included on the 12" single in which case the comment should be 12" single version but I will have to hear from someone that actually has the 12" single to chime in for verification on this matter.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 May 2006 at 7:20am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The version on my 12" starts off with the piano intro; however, the first note is missing and it has an echo kind of sound to it. Then there is an acapella "lean on me" that echoes, and the beat starts after that. The beat that kicks in is slightly different, as it is missing the claps & "snare" for the first several seconds. It is the same way during the verses---no "snare" and claps.

The vocals on the 12" version have different effects added to them that are not present on the LP version. The last couple of seconds have a female that sings "I said you can lean on..." (almost acappella except for a couple beats) and then there are a few lone keyboard notes.

Although I do not have the Thump CD to compare, perhaps these notes can help determine which version you have.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 May 2006 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

No Aaron from your description, the version on Thump is not the 12" single version so the comment currently in the database is correct.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 May 2006 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote budaniel

i had started a thread about this a while ago to see if anyone could tell me if the thump version was the 12" version, specifically because the time similarity. No one seemed to know, so I invested in the CD and posted a follow-up after finding that it is absolutely NOT the 12" version on the Thump CD, but a horrible re-recording, as are all the other songs on that disc.
Back to Top View budaniel's Profile Search for other posts by budaniel Visit budaniel's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 May 2006 at 11:15am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Hmm, well, it appears the 12" version has never been issued on CD. Pity. Thanks for the responses.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version