Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Unwritten" Natasha Bedingfield Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 14 May 2006 at 2:06pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Does anyone have the radio edit (3:40) of this single? I'd be curious to know where they did the edits.

I'm told it's on the "Now 21" release, which (if it doesn't already) should be listed in the database as dj edit, and the version on the "Unwritten" CD should be "LP version".
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 May 2006 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The database does list a (3:51) version on Now 21, and the comment says "radio mix." Now, as far as the "LP version" comment goes, I will assume that this doesn't apply unless there is a difference between the commercial single (if any even exists) and the LP.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

eric_a
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 May 2006 at 9:46pm | IP Logged Quote eric_a

My station plays the version on Promo Only, which is the only one I've heard. This runs approximately 3:48 until audio ends. How long is the album version?
Back to Top View eric_a's Profile Search for other posts by eric_a

cmmmbase
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 May 2006 at 10:02pm | IP Logged Quote cmmmbase

TM Century's hit disc (the A series) and Prime Cuts disc uses a 4:15 version.
Back to Top View cmmmbase's Profile Search for other posts by cmmmbase

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 May 2006 at 10:33pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

The album version is 4:19
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 May 2006 at 10:38pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I forgot the policy on this -- when there's no commercial single (as is often the case these days) but a radio version found on promo singles, is the version on the album considered to be the "album version"? It's kind of a gray area, but since there are so few physical singles released, but there's still a distinct radio version and an album version, I still think the album version should be listed as the "album version."

Similarly, if the 3:48 edit of "Unwritten" is sold on iTunes, Rhapsody, etc. , then that is a commercial sale of the short version, and it seems once again, that's another reason that the album version should be listed as such in the database in a case like this.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 May 2006 at 10:47pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just pulled out my Promo Only disc with the (3:51) version that Eric mentioned. It's funny... I play this song in it's full (4:15) album version two to three times every single radio show, yet I can't tell what's missing from this edited version. I'm positive something has been edited out, because the fade is the same as the LP version; however, the fade comes earlier...
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 May 2006 at 10:52pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

EdisonLite wrote:
since there are so few physical singles released, but there's still a distinct radio version and an album version, I still think the album version should be listed as the "album version."

The only problem is that it would make the database inconsistent, as there are several cases where a separate promo version exists, while the LP and 45 versions are the same. No comments appear next to these listings.

EdisonLite wrote:
Similarly, if the 3:48 edit of "Unwritten" is sold on iTunes, Rhapsody, etc. , then that is a commercial sale of the short version, and it seems once again, that's another reason that the album version should be listed as such in the database in a case like this.

While it is true that the short edit is available on iTunes, the "album" field lists Now 21 as the source. If it had listed Unwritten (Single), then I'd agree, this version would need a "45 version" comment.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2006 at 6:16am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Well, shouldn't this version (on Now 21) get a "dj 45 version" comment?

Also, Aaron, since you have both versions there, can you A-B them to see exactly what portion was edited out?

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 May 2006 at 7:04am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

EdisonLite wrote:
Well, shouldn't this version (on Now 21) get a "dj 45 version" comment?

I agree. In almost every instance, Pat uses the comment "dj edit" or something of that nature; however, there are a few cases where he actually uses the name of the mix. Is there a reason for this, Pat?

EdisonLite wrote:
Also, Aaron, since you have both versions there, can you A-B them to see exactly what portion was edited out?

That's the problem. I only have the DJ edit. The full album version is the one we play on the air, but I don't have a copy of this version.

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 May 2006 at 7:33am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

If I have the actual dj cd single I enter "dj 45 version" but in this case I do not have the dj cd single and since there are reports on this thread that the dj 45 edit runs (3:40) I took the safe route and entered "radio mix" for the Now 21 entry which runs (3:51) because this is what is stated on the cd jacket.   
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

eric_a
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2006 at 7:45am | IP Logged Quote eric_a

I just listened to the album version for the first time. Like Aaron, I can't figure out what extra is there. Also, like Aaron, I only have the CD edit at work, so I'm working off memory.

The only difference I hear are longer instrumental breaks after each chorus. I think the LP version has 4-bar breaks, while the single cuts them to 2-bars apiece. That, and the long version seems to be mostly faded by about 4:00, so I think it may not really have audio all the way to 4:18.

As I listened, I sketched out a rough arrangement of the LP mix. Maybe this will help someone figure out what's missing:

0:12 - Verse 1 ("I am unwritten")
0:40 - Refrain ("Reaching")
0:48 - Chorus 1 ("Feel the rain")
1:09 - End of chorus ("still unwritten")
1:19 - Verse 2 ("I break tradition")
1:55 - Chorus 2 ("Feel the rain")
2:14 - Chorus 2 repeats ("feel the rain")
2:35 - End of chorus ("still unwritten")
2:45 - Refrain ("Staring")
3:01 - End of bridge ("Release your inhibitions")
3:05 - Silence; Chorus 3 ("Feel the Rain")
3:25 - Chorus 3 continues ("Feel the rain")
3:47 - Lyrics end
~3:58 - Fade begins

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 May 2006 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Based on Eric's description, it appears that they cut the repeated Chorus 2. Everything matches up until (2:14), which is the end of the chorus on the short edit. Removing that chorus would take out 21 seconds, which would accomodate for the time difference (plus fading a few seconds early).

Pat, I don't believe a separate (3:40) edit exists, but perhaps someone has info on one?

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2006 at 11:38am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

I have the promo CD single (Epic 17488). The first cut is Radio Mix and it states a time of (3:39) but actually fades out to (3:51).
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

fratboy96
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 October 2006 at 6:53pm | IP Logged Quote fratboy96

There are a couple differences between the 4:19 UK Album Version and the 3:52 US Radio Mix:

1) When she sings "reaching for something in the distance" at about 1:50, there's a background whooshing effect on the UK mix that's not present on the US mix.

2) The beginning of the gospel choir on the UK mix seems flat. The treble is mixed higher in the US mix.

I understand that several tracks on the album were subtly remixed for US ears. This is one of them.
Back to Top View fratboy96's Profile Search for other posts by fratboy96

eric_a
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 October 2006 at 8:00am | IP Logged Quote eric_a

fratboy96 wrote:
There are a couple differences between the 4:19 UK Album Version and the 3:52 US Radio Mix:

On further listening, I've noticed that the version Z100 (New York) plays has a fade that goes about 5 or 10 seconds longer than my Promo Only version, and you can hear one last vocal howl. On Promo Only, it's lost to the fade. Does this help anyone? :)

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 04 October 2006 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

They probably play the album version, like we do at our station.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version