Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: The 1989 Hot 100 CD Source Only-No Vinyl Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 06 September 2020 at 3:07pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

I embarked on an interesting project these last 3-4 weeks to see if the 1980's could be assembled all digitally without the need for any vinyl dubs. I chose to start with 1989, the second year promo CD's were readily available (and even more so than 1988). While some might say this was an easy answer, until you actually assemble all 391 songs and find all the US promo edits, 45 versions and UK edits the answer might not be as easy as "yes."

What inspired me to do this crazy OCD assembly? The same thing that drives most of us. We all want to recapture our youth and this era of music helps us do that. Considering 1989 is the first year albums, singles etc all come out on compact disc, it is a great starting point. I know it only gets tougher the more I go back through the 80's. Those lower rung hits especially!

The results are in, it can be done! (with only 2 radio edits needing to be recreated digitally) Times in the below file are exact to the file with no silence at beginning and end. Radio Edits are in the comment file if there is one and the time of the commercial 45. In my collection the U.S. released radio edit generally supersedes the 45 version.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qzjm2xiimw225vt/1989%20HOT%20100.h tml?dl=0

Some observations about 1989 which are contained in other discussion posts but touched on here:

The only two that do not appear on CD that I know of are Paradise City and Patience in the edited form from the UK 45's. Since no one I know owns either 45 from the UK and generally here in the US the group never allowed edits of there songs it makes it difficult to elaborate further...

There exists the following UK edits based on discogs. If anyone knows of anymore, please share with the board.

Richard Marx- Right Here Waiting 4:05
Martika - Toy Soldiers 4:18
Roxette - Listen To Your Heart 4:05
Def Leppard - Armageddon It 4:12
Guns N Roses - Patience 4:26
Guns N Roses - Paradise City 4:09
Soulsister - The Way To Your Heart 3:21

The following in the Hot 100 are labeled clean versions, where there exists Explicit language available versions for sale, generally the LP Version:

LL Cool J - I'm That Type of Guy 3:37
2 Live Crew - Me So Horny 4:36
Til Tuesday - (Believed You Were) Lucky 3:38

Here is the complete list of 45's replaced by edits/UK/Other 7 inch mixes for those interested

https://www.dropbox.com/s/knig1o8p1pco2d6/1989%20Hot%20100%2 045%2C%20UK%20edits.html?dl=0

Notes:

For Roxette- Listen to Your Heart I believe the Remix-Short Version is the correct radio edit of the song, with the 5:27 being the 45 version.

Radio Edits - There are 56 shorter edits on the Hot 100 of available 45 versions for 1989. There were approximately 25 songs that required the promo 1989 CD's that had radio edits that were not available on any other compact discs.

Here is the list:

Bad English - Forget Me Not Edit 3:58 [Edit] CD Promo
Christopher Williams - Talk To Myself 4:00 7 inch mix CD Promo,
Carly Simon - Let The River Run 3:22 CD promo
Basia - New Day For You 3:59 [Edit] Promo CD
Steve Winwood - Hearts on Fire 7 inch remix 4:07, 12 inch CD Promo
Stevie B - Girl I Am Searching For You, 4:16 Short Version, 4:45 LP
Graces - Lay Down Your Arms (Fade) 3:58 CD Promo
Surface - Closer Than Friends 7 inch version 4:15 CD Promo
Rob Base, DJ E-Z Rock - Joy and Pain [Single Version] 4:07 Profile Records CD Promo PCD-PRO1re
Pajama Party - Over and Over (7 inch Version) 4:09, Hot Radio Version 4:48 CD Promo
Teddy Riley w Guy - My Fantasy 4:00 (Promo CD)
Holly Johnson - Love Train 3:59 CD Promo
KISS - Hide Your Heart 4:28 CD Promo
38 Special - Comin' Down Tonight, remix 4:21, LP Version 4:25 CD Promo
Bardeux - I Love The Bass (Cross-Over Radio Mix) 3:58
Debbie Gibson - We Could Be Together 4:39 single
Outfield - My Paradise 3:26 Edit CD promo
Christopher Max - Serious Kinda Girl 3:42 Single Version CD Promo
Chunky A - Owwww! 7 inch version 4:29 CD Promo
Living Colour - Open Letter (To A Landlord) Shortest Version 4:19
Information Society - Lay All Your Love On Me 3:46 Single Mix CD Promo
Shirley Lewis - Realistic Mighty Real Mix 4:41
Eighth Wonder - Baby Baby 3:48 on CD Promo
Swing Out Sister - Waiting Game (Remix Edit) 3:59
Hooters - 500 Miles 3:42 US promo
KISS - Let's Put the X in Sex 3:48 CD promo

Some versions that got airplay that are also on CD and CD 3-inch for 1989 and available somewhere:

New Kids On The Block - The Right Stuff (7 inch remix) 3:35
Seduction - You're My One And Only (True Love) (Summer of 1989 Radio Mix)
Bobby Brown - My Prerogative [CHR Edit 3:30]
Madonna - Like A Prayer [7 inch Dance Edit) 5:24
Bangles - In Your Room [7 inch remix] 3:28

Fun observations:

KISS - Hide Your Heart on the promo does not end abruptly at 4:25 like the LP version, but extends to 4:28.
Pajama Party - Over and Over runs 4:06, longer than it is on the Freestyle Comps where it runs a few seconds shorter.

All 391 files on the Hot 100 peak at 20200 or more. Since there was no such thing as mp3 back in 1989, that's to be expected. I did not do this alone, numerous other people had assembled like Ron and Chuck a good chunk of the Hot 100 for the year so I was working off of their hard work to fill in the gaps and find out what they missed. Many people helped find released versions, thanks to you all!

Now, to the part everyone has been curious about. There was no CD promo for Kenny Loggins - Tell Her, which is the ONLY song in the Hot 100 not to make a CD release at all as a promo or on a comp somewhere (or even Kenny's greatest hits, go figure!) However, the 3:35 LP was released to CD. So the 3:11 short intro can be recreated from the 3:35 edit. Aaron would have those points if anyone wanted to do it.

The Chris Rea- Working On It does have a CD promo, but its the LP version. The 7 inch promo can be recreated from the LP version. Again Aaron would have those points if anyone wanted to do it.

That means that only 2 radio edits are commercially unavailable!

If anyone has anything I missed, please let me know. I can say 1988 is a lot more difficult with less promos and some versions only being able to be found on 45's already. When I am done with 1988, I will post everything here. I look forward to everyone's comments and if there is something out there that I forgot to include.

Edited by PopArchivist on 20 September 2020 at 6:23pm

Bellenger1981
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 September 2020 at 9:44am | IP Logged Quote Bellenger1981

Truly incredible, Richie! Thank you for your time and
your effort in putting this all together! I can only
imagine how long this took to assemble, but it is a fun
project, regardless. Thank you to everyone else who
helped out!

"Listen to Your Heart [Remix Short Version]" is the main
version that I heard on the radio. My local AC stations
would often play the "Remix A/C Version" at times. I
still remember that sax! :)

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 September 2020 at 10:38am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

My compliments to you for your time and patience in
assembling such a detailed collection.

Erie, PA
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 September 2020 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

eriejwg wrote:
My compliments to you for your time and patience in
assembling such a detailed collection.

Thanks, hope it helps people who are trying to collect 1989's Hot 100.

Edited by PopArchivist on 20 September 2020 at 6:24pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version