Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Do Ya" - The Move Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 13 May 2006 at 12:41pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

This song only made the top 100 and not the top 40, but I'm wondering if anyone knows what the difference between the album and single versions are. I didn't even know there was a single version/edit until I came across a website that said so. Incidentally, for those who don't know, this group was a predecessor to ELO and contained Jeff Lynne. And of course, ELO "covered" the song later and had a #24 hit with it.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 May 2006 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Edison: I have the 4:03 45 version. My import 3-CD Move box has everything BUT "Do Ya" on there. "Great Move - The Best Of" has "Do Ya", but no other songs I know - really, it's more accurately "Early ELO" music - so I haven't bought it. Most consider that the Move had two different "eras", and the two different "hits" packages each seem to reflect one of them. If you want to mp3 me your album version, I will do my shaky best to both determine and notify you of the LP/45 differences.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Grant
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 May 2006 at 12:42am | IP Logged Quote Grant

The version on the CD "Strange Magic: The Best Of ELO" (Legacy/Epic Associated Z2K 64157) has "Do Ya" with a listing and exact timing of 3:44
Back to Top View Grant's Profile Search for other posts by Grant

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 May 2006 at 6:43am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

But that would be the ELO version. So far, Jimct and I have figured out that the single of the Move version clocks in at 4:03. But according to a website, it's the "single edit". So does anyone have a Move LP with "Do Ya" and know how long the song is on there?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Grant
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 May 2006 at 4:11pm | IP Logged Quote Grant

EdisonLite wrote:
But that would be the ELO version.
   Oops!
Back to Top View Grant's Profile Search for other posts by Grant

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2006 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Edison: I broke up both a CD dub of my 45 and your mp3 version into 24 :10 segments, listening back-and-forth to one source, then the other - for ANY vocal, orchestration or mix differences, VERY carefully. The two appear to me to be mirror images - and there are no speed/pitch differences, either.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2006 at 5:59pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

So the only possibility is that there is an LP version longer than 4:03 (and that the 45 was an edit.) It's unclear whether my CD is from single or album, but if they're identical to your 45, my guess is that the CD contains the 45, and it's just a question of -- is there a longer LP version?

Indy500
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 April 2016 at 7:06pm | IP Logged Quote Indy500

I'll add after a 10 year silence on this title that there is a 3:16 UK edit. Hear it here:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the+move+do+ya&view=det ail&mid=1A855CDC464729C0B7B21A855CDC464729C0B7B2&FORM=VIRE

4:05 seems to be the length of both the U.S. single and album version.
Back to Top View Indy500's Profile Search for other posts by Indy500

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 April 2016 at 9:11pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

As Indy indicated, the U.S. DJ and stock 45s contain the full 4:03 version that was also included on the subsequent 1972 Move compilation LP, Split Ends on United Artists. Clocking in at over 49 minutes, Split Ends was both an inspired wrap-up of what turned out to be the Move's final releases and an ingenious way to fit "Do Ya" and four other non-LP single sides onto an American LP (including "Tonight," which had first appeared in 1971 on Capitol, and was reissued by UA as "Do Ya"'s follow-up 45.)

The rest of the Spit Ends LP consisted of the 1971 Capitol Move LP, Message From The Country, save for three tracks dropped to make room for the five non-LP titles. The U.S. EMI Great Moves! CD Jim mentioned upthread essentially takes the UA Split Ends LP and adds on those three dropped tracks.

Edited by Yah Shure on 25 April 2016 at 9:11pm
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version