Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Chicago - I Don’t Wanna Live Without ... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 13 August 2020 at 7:16pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

For the search engine: Chicago's "I Don't Wanna Live Without Your Love"

This is the first single from Chicago 19, and it peaked at #3 in the US in 1988. The second single from 19 would be "Look Away", which hit #1.

The promo CD single is Reprise PRO-CD-3126. Copyright 1988, only one track, designated as "LP Version", printed 3:54, actual 3:54.

The promo CD single is digitally identical to Reprise's Chicago 19 (1988).

The version on Reprise's Greatest Hits 1982-1989 (1989) uses the same analog transfer as the above two, and sounds extremely close to both, but shortens the tail of the fade by about two seconds. The track selection and the sound on this best-of are superb, and I recommend it highly if you want to round up the Chicago '80s-era ballads in one place.

I don't have any of the other Chicago collections to compare.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 13 August 2020 at 7:16pm

AdvprosD
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 August 2020 at 7:30am | IP Logged Quote AdvprosD

The early Chicago songs were always a challenge for me as I didn't know what I was getting when I purchased them.

I suppose with a little extra work, I could summarize which ones seemed to be the most popular on the radio when they were in popular rotation. (Maybe someone already has done that here.)

I did manage to find a set of four discs called "Group Portrait" that seems to have a number of the single versions from many of their albums. I've always wondered why their pop singles frequently
sounded like they were recorded in someone's basement studio. The music was great but, didn't seem to have quite the fidelity I'd expect from a big name band until the mid '70s.

As a side note, I'm not much for covers or tribute bands in general but, Those Russians in the band, "Leonid and Friends" have done some fine work in tribute to early Chicago songs. I did go
to see them on their 2019 tour and I was amazed how well they did live as well.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 August 2020 at 9:44am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I love the 4-CD Group Portrait set. It's the best representation out there of their Columbia years. Excellent sound, and superb track selection. But it doesn't cover their Warner Bros. years in the '80s.

There are some Rhino collections that do cover the '80s tracks, and I don't have any of those to compare with the GH 82-89 disc.

AdvprosD
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 August 2020 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote AdvprosD

Ron,

I realized after posting that I managed to digress almost immediately from the general '80s suggestions in the original post. (Issues with a noob :)

I have been listening to your August 7th show and have decided that I now have to jump into the archives. I highly recommend it!

ptgraphics
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 August 2020 at 6:27pm | IP Logged Quote ptgraphics

I unfortunately have a few of the Warner years comps or hits CD's spanning
both Columbia and Warner. Most are pretty loud and compressed. I was after
the single edits that I didn't have on CD Singles. Even "The Box"
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Box_(Chicago_album) is pretty compressed.

Edited by ptgraphics on 14 August 2020 at 6:27pm
Back to Top View ptgraphics's Profile Search for other posts by ptgraphics

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version