Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Roberta Flack - "Killing Me Softly..." Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 09 May 2006 at 8:44pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Could swear I put this up already, but apparently not: To the best of my knowledge, all stock 45s on this had a listed and actual time of (4:46), and ended, while all promo 45s had a listed and actual time of (4:13), and faded. Have never seen a promo of the (4:46) version, and always heard the fade during its current 1973 chart run on the radio.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Grant
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 May 2006 at 10:13pm | IP Logged Quote Grant

In 1973, I suspect many radio stations had the full-length verson but faded it out before the coda. My local station only played it all the way through once or twice that I recall.
Back to Top View Grant's Profile Search for other posts by Grant

Gary Mack
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 May 2006 at 5:52am | IP Logged Quote Gary Mack

Our Top 40 station - KLEO/Wichita - never played the edited version. As best I remember, the radio programming tip sheets and magazines showed most stations aired the full version. In fact, since the song was such a huge hit, it would be dumb to air an edit since so many listeners would react negatively.

GM
Back to Top View Gary Mack's Profile Search for other posts by Gary Mack

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 10 May 2006 at 6:30am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Another interesting post on dj edits Jim. I wish to point out that I have a dj copy of that song that is the full length (4:46) version so they do exist!
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 May 2006 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Gary Mack wrote:
Our Top 40 station - KLEO/Wichita - never played the edited version. As best I remember, the radio programming tip sheets and magazines showed most stations aired the full version. In fact, since the song was such a huge hit, it would be dumb to air an edit since so many listeners would react negatively.

GM
Gary, in all of my years looking at radio programming tip sheets and magazines, I've NEVER seen a station-by-station breakdown as to WHICH version of a current song was being aired by individual members of a "Top 40 Panel." I'll also try and track down our 1973 PD (John Long) for you, and tell him how "dumb" you think he was. And while I'm at it, I'll also tell all the stations who played the DJ 45 of "American Pie" how dumb they were for you, too, since it was "such a huge hit." You're entitled to your opinion, Gary. However, I don't agree with a word of it. Thanks, Pat, for the (4:46) DJ 45 info. After posting, I discovered that her LP didn't come out until 9 months after the 45 release. I then reasoned that there must've been a (4:46) DJ 45 version, because I did start hearing the long version on local radio by May/June 'of '73.

Gary Mack
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 May 2006 at 4:47pm | IP Logged Quote Gary Mack

jimct wrote:
Gary Mack wrote:

GM
Gary, in all of my years looking at radio programming tip sheets and magazines, I've NEVER seen a station-by-station breakdown as to WHICH version of a current song was being aired by individual members of a "Top 40 Panel." I'll also try and track down our 1973 PD (John Long) for you, and tell him how "dumb" you think he was. And while I'm at it, I'll also tell all the stations who played the DJ 45 of "American Pie" how dumb they were for you, too, since it was "such a huge hit." You're entitled to your opinion, Gary. However, I don't agree with a word of it. Thanks, Pat, for the (4:46) DJ 45 info. After posting, I discovered that her LP didn't come out until 9 months after the 45 release. I then reasoned that there must've been a (4:46) DJ 45 version, because I did start hearing the long version on local radio by May/June 'of '73.

Well, Jim, apparently you can't read very well. My post didn't say the stations were LISTED. But the key publications and stations I paid attention to played only the full version. Even Atlantic Records told me that (Vince Faraci was their national promo guy, as I recall).

I don't know what John Long's WAVZ/New Haven played, nor do I care. I always enjoyed beating the pants off so-called competitors who insulted the audience by editing their product. And say hello to John for me. Thanks, pal.

GM
Back to Top View Gary Mack's Profile Search for other posts by Gary Mack

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 May 2006 at 5:37pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Oh, I can read just fine, Gary. If you said earlier that Vince Faraci told you that, instead of "radio programming tip sheets and magazines", I would've understood - to me, Vince and magazines don't mean the same thing - HE would obviously know. I haven't been on this Board very long, but I thought your post was a little hostile and mean spirited. This Board's not about ratings, markets, and who's the bigger programming genius, is it? It's about Top 40 Music on CD, and different versions of hit 45s offered up by the record companies, good or bad, no? I have no opinion on which Flack version is better - I'm just helping Pat Downey & Co. acknowledge its existence in his on-line book by providing facts as best as I can. I believe my comments are within this Board's scope, and I will not apologize for them. Gary, I'm very happy you have a radio philosophy that has worked well for you, and that you are confident in - my kudos, but is it relevant to this Board? Hey, I didn't press the Flack short DJ version up, Atlantic did (apparently, over Vince's better judgement!) I wish you continued success, sir.

Edited by jimct on 10 May 2006 at 5:39pm

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 February 2010 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Was the commercial issue of "Killing Me Softly" stereo or mono? I ask because on the upcoming Rhino Digial 45 for this song, both sides of the single seem to be mono, judging from the sample. However, the label scan they used for the artwork clearly says "stereo." The running time for the MP3 would seem to indicate it's the commercial 45 length.

Perhaps this is another case of some pressings being mono, others stereo?
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 February 2010 at 9:10pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Brian, I don't have the commercial 45, so I'll let someone else chime in who does have a copy. But FWIW, the '70s-vintage gold-label Oldies Series reissue 45 is the stereo (4:46) version, backed with the mono "Trade Winds," the original B-side of "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face."

As for the DJ 45s discussed above, my college station received the (4:13) version first. We'd been playing it heavily for a couple of weeks before the (4:46) version arrived. Atlantic indicated that this reserviced copy was the "correct" version, and that the earlier (4:13) edit had been issued in error. By then, the short version had become the "hit" for us, so that's what we stuck with.
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 February 2010 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

jimct wrote:
Could swear I put this up already, but apparently not: To the best of my knowledge, all stock 45s on this had a listed and actual time of (4:46), and ended, while all promo 45s had a listed and actual time of (4:13), and faded.

Actually, it was released commercially both ways. I have a copy of each.

As far as the "dumbness" of playing an edit, keep in mind that only a small percentage of your listeners will have purchased the song (either single or album). I've never seen any correlation between ratings and whether or not you played the long version of a song. I'll agree it was a bit of a fad in the mid-late 70s to play the long version, but it was by no means universal.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 February 2010 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

I have the commerical copy, it is indeed stereo. It has a listed time of 4:13 but a run time of 4:46.
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

KentT
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2010 at 7:58pm | IP Logged Quote KentT

First pressings had the edit. Second pressings were the full length LP cut. Both commercial pressings were Stereo. The promo was reserviced by Atlantic and the long version became the common one. Promo was Mono/Stereo!

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 May 2011 at 9:19am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial 45 issued as atlantic 2940 states the run time as 4:46 and does indeed run that length.....the etching on the run-out groove is "st-a-z5765-16 pp cdk"

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 April 2015 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

so are we 100% sure the dj edit just fades the song to end
at 4:13?....if so, at what point, time wise does the fade
begin....could someone send me an mp3 of the 4:13 dj edit
version so i can replicate the fade?...thx edtop40

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 May 2017 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

The short 45 version fades from 3:50 to 4:13.

For what it's worth, I really like the sound on Atlantic's Softly With These Songs The Best Of (1993), but the other Atlantic discs I've heard with the song also sound just fine.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 30 May 2017 at 8:07pm

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 June 2017 at 1:11am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I always wished for a shorter version than the 4:46 single/album version - one that simply didn't fade early. Of course, none was ever released/edited. So a few years back, I did my own edit - I wanted the edit to be somewhere toward the end of the song, and I found one spot where it could be done without the edit being noticeable, which brought it to 4:18. It came to a close, not a fade :) Oddly enough, I couldn't find any other spot, except for this one, that could lead to a smooth edit.... although I imagine others could be done.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version