Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Atlantic Starr - Secret Lovers Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
thecdguy
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 30 December 2019 at 5:43am | IP Logged Quote thecdguy

Anyone know where the version of this song on their "Ultimate Collection" CD comes from? It's labelled as "Single Version", but
runs around 4:23 whereas the actual 45 runs around 4:03. I compared the two and the 4:23 seems to be the same as the 45, just faded
about 20 seconds or so later. None of the other 45 configurations listed on Discogs from other countries show a 4:23 running time,
and in fact the UK Single is apparently even shorter at 3:38.

11 songs are listed as "Single Version" on the compilation, but there's at least one other error besides "Secret Lovers": their
biggest hit "Always" is actually the Album Version running around 4:45. The 45 runs about 4 minutes.
Back to Top View thecdguy's Profile Search for other posts by thecdguy

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 December 2019 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

The database lists the song on that CD as being the 45
version but 20 seconds longer. As for the original source
of the song I personally don't know.

Erie, PA
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

AutumnAarilyn
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 December 2019 at 6:50pm | IP Logged Quote AutumnAarilyn

There's a terrible cross-faded edit around the one
minute mark that combines the first and second verses
and omits the first chorus. I wince everytime I hear it
as the vocals are out of phase.

It makes the single version more like a rondo with only
one big verse, a chorus, a bridge, a chorus, and then a
fade/coda depending on how the ending drags out. A&M
shouldn't have cheaped-out and done the edit from the
session masters and not edit after the album version was
complete.

Edited by AutumnAarilyn on 30 December 2019 at 6:51pm
Back to Top View AutumnAarilyn's Profile Search for other posts by AutumnAarilyn

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 December 2019 at 7:51pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Now that you point out where the edit is, I can certainly hear it, but there's no crossfade on the copies I have on CD. It's a straight cut.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

AutumnAarilyn
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 December 2019 at 8:43pm | IP Logged Quote AutumnAarilyn

Maybe it isn't a crossfade or I've described it wrong.
I've always heard the album version on my station and
when I listened to a local gold station it was quite
jarring to say the least.
Back to Top View AutumnAarilyn's Profile Search for other posts by AutumnAarilyn

prisdeej
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 January 2020 at 10:21am | IP Logged Quote prisdeej

aaronk wrote:
Now that you point out where the edit
is, I can certainly hear it, but there's no crossfade
on the copies I have on CD. It's a straight cut.

They're 3 or 4 cuts which include some out-of-sequence editing
in the 45 version plus an early
fade. It's the cut around 1:02, that sounds jarring. I
had alluded on YouTube that they may have used
a slight crossfade at this point.

It sounds to me like

We Can’t Leave a Traaa-o-cccce.

You can slightly hear the “o” from the word “so” from
the lyric, “cause we love each other so”, which was
removed. Always sounded to me that the tail end of
trace "ccce" faded into the cut,
but of course this is only my ears as I never edited it
myself. FYI, the short version on TM GoldDisc are
wrong because they made a latter cut too early, it's
pretty obvious in comparison.

Happy New Year Everyone!

Edited by prisdeej on 05 January 2020 at 9:25am

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 04 January 2020 at 1:49pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Yes, that's the same jarring edit that I heard. It's not a crossfade, as the "s" sound you hear after the edit point is also on the album version at that spot on top of the "o."

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

prisdeej
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 August 2020 at 10:54pm | IP Logged Quote prisdeej

The out-of-sequence edit at 3:27 on TM GoldDisc 929 is incorrect.   I used a dub of the 45 as my reference, and just tried cutting the song from the LP version but I couldn't make it work
either. I pasted the earlier section but couldn't remove the slight overlap of audio without cutting too much off. I gave up!   Thankfully the 45 version is readily available.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 August 2020 at 11:30am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

LP version (5:29)

The LP version first appeared on A&M's Secret Lovers The Best Of (1986). It sounds just fine here, with terrific dynamic range, nice EQ, no evidence of noise reduction, and a nice, long tail on the fade. It's recorded with a drum machine, and seems to be originally recorded to analog tape because there's an insignificant (but real) drift in tempo from 80.1 BPM at the beginning to 80.0 BPM at the end. The same analog transfer is used on:
  • A&M's Classics Vol. 10 (1987) - digitally exactly 0.4 dB louder in right channel and 0.2 dB quieter in right channel
  • the promotional disc PGD Gives You The Richness Of Black Music Disc 6 R&B Classics I (1992)
  • Eclipse Music Group/EMI's Rock 'N Roll Relix 1984-1985 (1998) - differently-EQ'd digital clone
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Body And Soul Vol. 7 Slow And Easy (1999) - differently-EQ'd digital clone
  • Time-Life's Ultimate Love Songs Collection Secret Lovers (2004) - differently-EQ'd digital clone
All of the above sound basically the same, with minor EQ differences among them, and a small left/right imbalance on Classics. You'll be pleased with whatever version you find.

45 version (4:03)

I still haven't figured out if the 45 can be edited down from the LP version.

There's an edit at 0:01 that deletes 16 beats of the LP version and shortens up the intro.

There's an edit at 1:03 that deletes 28 beats of the LP version. This is the jarring edit mentioned above, and I think it would have been much less jarring if it had cut out a full 32 beats, rather than just 28 beats. Listen for the snare appearing out of nowhere (rather than a rimshot) shortly before the short drum fill that begins the second verse. You won't be able to unhear it.

There's some out-of-sequence stuff later in the song that replaces part of a chorus with some of the deleted 28 beats from above. I gave up, since TM Century couldn't get it right (something screwy happens at 3:27 on the TM Century version), and the 45 is readily available on CD.

The 45 version first appeared on Time-Life's 2-CD Heart Rock (1988). The song sounds OK here, and runs at 80.3 BPM throughout. (The 45 has the same insignificant, but real, drift in tempo that the LP has.) This CD set has a lot of early fades, but this track runs to its full length, albeit a little faster than other discs.

There's a slightly better analog transfer on Time-Life's 4-CD Great Love Songs Of The 70's And 80's Vol. 2 Let Your Love Flow (1991). It runs at 79.9 BPM throughout (also with insignificant drift). The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Starland Music/Warner Special Products' 2-CD Lost In Love (1994) - truncates fade
  • Time-Life's Body Talk Vol. 7 Hearts In Motion (1996) - differently-EQ'd digital clone
  • Time-Life's Sounds Of The Eighties Vol. 15 The Mid-'80s (1996) - differently-EQ'd digital clone
20 seconds longer than 45 version (4:22)

I don't have this version, and can't confirm that the edits match the 45. As best as I can tell, this version first appeared in 2000 on the Hip-O CD Ultimate Collection (2000). It turned up later on A&M's Best Of: 20th Century Masters The Millennium Collection (2001), and I know that several of the discs in this series used versions of songs that had never appeared before.

My recommendations

For the LP version, I use A&M's Secret Lovers The Best Of (1986), but any of the Time-Life discs will also sound nice.

For the 45 version, I use Time-Life's 4-CD Great Love Songs Of The 70's And 80's Vol. 2 Let Your Love Flow (1991), but any of the other Time-Life discs will also sound nice.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version