Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: The Searchers - Love Potion No. 9 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 17 November 2019 at 8:57pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Looking in the database, I don't see any notations indicating which copies are mono, which are stereo, and I wasn't able to find a thread already discussing which one was the single version, if they're the same take, if there are mix differences beyond a mono fold-down of the stereo mix, etc.

I have found various collections with either mono or stereo versions, and while the mixes sound similar I'm unclear whether they are IDENTICAL. There may be reverb differences, and what might be mix differences might just be EQ differences.

I found a stereo copy on Rhino's "The Searchers Greatest Hits," but my ears question if it's possible that this is a needle drop based on a high frequency "edge" in the record and what sounds to me like a bit of surface noise and rumble, especially audible at the beginning and ending but also in quieter portion of the song... but my ears have deceived me before and it could just be tape/microphone/guitar amp noise.

I'd love to know if somebody (CFTP?) has done a detailed examination of the various versions of Love Potion Number Nine...

...and that's ANOTHER thing: looking at Discogs, the record labels can't decide how to spell it! Often the outside jacket will say "Love Potion Number Nine" while the paper label on the vinyl will say "Love Potion No. 9."

I'm also confused about the source LP, as "Meet The Searchers" appears to be the first time the song appears on an album (although not in the United States). When the single comes out in the U.S., the label says "from the LP, 'This Is Us.'" So, like The Beatles, The Searchers had different U.S. and U.K. releases at least at first, yes?

I'd love to know if the mono and stereo releases are different or just a fold-down, and further, I'd love to know which versions may be from master tapes vs. needle drops (if any).

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

KentT
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 November 2019 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote KentT

The mono is dedicated. No fold down. And the Rhino CD is
not a needledrop. Thank Kapp Records in the USA, because
if they didn't insist on Stereo mixes being made, you'd be
listening to this material in rechanneled Stereo or mono
only. Major factoid. This was a hit single on the Kapp
Winners Circle oldies label (Likewise Bumble Bee). This
one was issued due to public demand. Yes, UK Searchers LP
titles were different.

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 November 2019 at 9:09pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Great info, KentT! Thanks for your reply.

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version