Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Elton John - Sad Songs.... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 07 May 2006 at 6:24pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

About a month after we got the first promo 45, a "Special Radio Mix" version of "Sad Songs (Say So Much)" arrived. Its listed and actual time is (4:05), and features substantially more percussion. We did switch over and play this new mix on-air as well.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

JMD1961
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 May 2006 at 7:16pm | IP Logged Quote JMD1961

A-HA!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for this information. Because this is one song that has NEVER sounded right on CD to me.
Back to Top View JMD1961's Profile Search for other posts by JMD1961

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 May 2006 at 7:35pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Does anyone know if the "special radio mix" ever appeared on a commercial 45?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 07 May 2006 at 9:49pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Not sure, but I HAVE seen this "special radio mix" 45. My friend has a copy. I listened to it (without having the other version to compare) and it didn't sound too much different. I guess if I could've A/B'd them, I'd notice the percussion difference.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

JMD1961
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 May 2006 at 2:42am | IP Logged Quote JMD1961

I can't say either. At the time, I think I just bought the album that featured it. All I can say for sure is that to me, the version I hear on CDs today just sound flat to me. Could just be me, though.

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 May 2006 at 3:03am | IP Logged Quote jimct

The "Special Radio Mix" never did appear on a commercial 45. It's funny, but both Aaron's and JMD's comments do apply. It sounds to me like they took the stock 45 version and tried to make a "dance mix" out of it, by adding a background disco-rhythm/dance beat on top, supporting Aaron's "it's not that different" point. But, if you heard the new version constantly for 3 months back in '84, then popped on the CD version today, "flat" is a good way to describe it, JMD - like a Ritz cracker with no salt - it's OK, but something's missing...   

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 May 2006 at 7:07am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I saw the video on MTV as much as I heard the song on the radio, and don't recall any differences. Does anyone know which mix was used for the video? (My guess is that the video was released to MTV before the special remix was done.) It could also be that the stations in my area played only the 1st mix.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 May 2006 at 8:31am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Just wondering--is either version of the 45 pitched-up in any way? One radio station here played the edited version, but it was sped up compared to the "45 version" on the Greatest Hits 1976-86 CD. What I don't know is whether they pitched it up themselves or if it came that way (generally this radio station did not pitch up their records when carting them up).

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 May 2006 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Since the stock 45 is both listed and actually is (4:08), and Pat's book has some "45 versions" running in the (4:06/4:07) range, it probably wasn't pitched up on the record. For years at our station, the PD and Chief Engineer custom-altered the speed of all of our direct-drive turntables - faster by (+1.7).
Can't remember for sure now if that number referred to all 45s now spinning at 46.7 RPM , or if it meant 1.7% faster than normal speed, but I believe it meant the latter. I was our "carter" for over 10 years, and I used those modified tables to cart all our music. This tactic was actually quite common in Top 40 for many years, especially in a "2 Top 40 station market." My bosses would always tell me "I want the other station's music to sound SLOW compared to ours!" In 1973, before any of us got there, consultant Paul Drew was hired, and all the 45s began sounding positively chipmunky, at like 49-50RPM. Drove me nuts!

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 09 January 2007 at 3:30pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I am in the process of reviewing both the commercial and "special radio mix" 45s for "Sad Songs," thanks to Jim, and I can say for certain the "radio mix" is pitched up when compared to the commercial 45 version.

Honestly, I cannot hear any other differences when doing a quick comparison of the first minute or so. I'll do a more thorough comparison through headphones this evening.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 January 2007 at 9:38pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

For what it's worth, my version on The A-List is 107.0 BPM, my version on the Geffen Greatest Hits is 107.3 BPM, and my 45 version on Hits On CD Vol. 2 (Mercury [W. Germany] 822 843-2, 1984) is much faster at 109.1 BPM.

Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 January 2007 at 4:51pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just did a very careful analysis through headphones between the DJ and commercial 45 versions. The DJ "special radio mix" is pitched up 1.95%, when compared to the commercial 45 version.

(Also, on the DJ 45, they used a very, very slight amount of compression to make the song sound louder; however, it is so slight, I probably would not have noticed it if not for the headphones and being able to see the two waveforms on the screen.)

Other than that, there are no mix differences whatsoever between the two. For the record, the DJ 45 is exactly 110 BPM.

Edited by aaronk on 15 January 2007 at 5:13pm

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 January 2007 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

In defense of those who say the mix sounds different, both the commercial and DJ 45s are EQ'd slightly brighter than the CD version I have. The slightly brighter high end, coupled with a 2% pitch difference can certainly make the CD version sound "flat" or "dull."

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 January 2007 at 7:52pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Thanks, Aaron. I completely trust your ears. I can now stop searching for this on CD.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 January 2007 at 2:20am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Aaron was kind enough to mp3 a few snippets of the various versions of this song. What sounds to me like "night and day" differences between the stock and "Special Radio Mix" ARE, in fact, 99% attributed to simply being sped up, as Aaron mentions above. I started this post as a "newbie" last May, before I realized that my ears can't tell the difference between a chirping bird and a tractor! I think I'll just stick with actual 45 timings and un-earthing unique DJ 45 edits, guys!   :)

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 January 2007 at 5:13am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

You don't give yourself enough credit, Jim. Your information has been invaluable to many of us here on the message board, sir. Besides, everyone is entitled to one mistake. You just used yours. :)

JMD1961
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 January 2007 at 3:16pm | IP Logged Quote JMD1961

I'd just like to thank everyone for this one. It really answered a lot of questions I had about this particular song.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 January 2007 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Okay, so one thing I still don't understand:

Is the 45 and Special Radio Mix the same MIX as the album version?
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 January 2007 at 11:11pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

That's a very good question, Brian. Listening to the lo-fi audio samples on allmusic.com would make me guess "yes." Also, the 45 label says "Edit" underneath the time. All I can do is guess on this one, since I only have the 45 version on CD.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 17 January 2007 at 12:47pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks to Jim, I can confirm that the 45 and LP versions are the same mix. The 45 edits the intro in half and does an early fade for sure. I didn't check to see if there are any other edits in the middle.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version