Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: SWV-"Weak" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
prisdeej
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 06 February 2019 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote prisdeej

Surprised a topic hasn't been started. The version on the cassingle runs 4:20. The version I remember on the radio had a heck-of-a-lot more reverb with a longer fade. Perhaps they
played the LP version?

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 February 2019 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Yep. That's the LP version with the over-abundance of reverb. The Radio Edit (which is a different mix) has far less reverb and is the only version my local top 40 stations played. It's cut 1 on the promo CD single (RDJ 62521-2). Time permitting, I'll pull my promo and time the various mixes.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

prisdeej
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 February 2019 at 2:06pm | IP Logged Quote prisdeej

aaronk wrote:
Yep. That's the LP version with the over-abundance of reverb.

Providence was a 2 Top40 medium market in the 90's. Although it wasn't all too common it wasn't all that uncommon for one to add an LP version on-air. The same could
be said when one station was spinning the common CD single version and the other would use a remix.

I wasn't in radio at the time (but I paid extra close attention) and my theory could have been the stations relationship with the labels. But my gut tells me was it
was a ratings ploy! It was always in the programming departments best interest for their station to sound louder, punchier and more obscure than the other guys.

Before K-Ci & JoJo's "All My Life" gained national popularity in 1998, WWKX played it almost exclusively in it's full LP version, with the strings and all, in late
1997. When WPRO added it in 1998 it was the edited version from one of the promo CD's. At that point on both stations played the edited version. It was the
same instance with R. Kelly's "I Believe I Can Fly" and Janet's "Together Again". When the later became re-currents they both played the radio edits. It was
something unique about the programming at the time, but give me an absolute headache tracking down and spending my allowance on purchasing CD's.    

Edited by prisdeej on 06 February 2019 at 2:12pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version