Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: New Kids On The Block - Didn’t I (Blow... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 28 December 2018 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The fourth single from Hangin' Tough was the title track b/w "Didn't I (Blow Your Mind)." "Didn't I" was a re-issue of an earlier 1986 non-charting track from their debut self-titled album. While the original 1986 45 fades to the 3:36 mark, the 1989 "Hangin' Tough" B-side appearance runs the full 4:24 length (same as the album). At the time, I was too young (and not yet working in radio) to know any of the details behind the success of the B-side, but at some point in 1989, Columbia issued a promo CD single (CSK 68960), which also contains the full-length 4:24 version. Whitburn shows that "Didn't I" and "Cover Girl" (CSK 1815) debuted on the Hot 100 on the same date of 9/16/1989.

It was recently brought to my attention (by PopArchivist) that a promo 45 with the 1986 short version of "Didn't I" exists, which coincides with the non-hit stock 45 release. I purchased a copy, and I can confirm that this is an early fade of the full-length version, running an actual 3:36 (printed time is 3:40). The song fades out just before the spoken part near the end. This promo 45 has "Didn't I" on both sides and shares the same catalog number as the 1986 45 (38 06619).

Does anyone who was in radio in 1989 recall playing this shorter version from the promo 45?

The reason I ask is because I haven't been able to find any evidence of a different, full-length 4:24 promo 45 that may have been issued in 1989. That would mean either 1) only the promo CD single was sent to radio, or 2) Columbia pressed up additional copies of the short promo 45 from '86 to use for promoting the song in '89. If it's the former, the 3:36 early fade remains a non-hit version. If the latter, that would mean we have a 1989 "DJ edit" that should probably be mentioned in the database. Can anyone help fill in the blanks?

Edited by aaronk on 28 December 2018 at 9:27am

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version