Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Chesney Hawkes -The One and Only Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 02 October 2018 at 7:34am | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

This has to be one of the few top 10 hits of the 90's that rarely gets played and rarely appears on any compilations.

With that being said I was trying to identify the correct hit version.

There are 3 versions on the CD single

Chrysalis ‎– DPRO 23730 Promo

The One and Only (Single Mix) 3:43
The One and Only (US Remix) 3:44
The One and Only (Rock Remix) 3:43

Aaron was able to let me listen to the 3 versions, of which I already had two but could not identify which version was from where.

My memory of the hit version of this song is fuzzy. But I seem to recall the US Remix was the radio version as it sounds like the version I heard. The single mix sounds very close. The Rock Remix I don't recall hearing at all.

If anyone wants to chime in let me know. Again this has to be one of the few top 10 hits of the early 90's to be underrepresented on comps.

Back to Top View PopArchivist's Profile Search for other posts by PopArchivist

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 October 2018 at 6:15am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

I don't even remember it getting a lot of airplay back in
'91, I'm a bit surprised it was a top 10 hit. We played
it, but only for a couple weeks. Dunno what version, all
our music was on cart.
I do hear it occasionally on the background music in our
local supermarket.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 03 October 2018 at 9:08am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

It peaked at #12 on the R&R pop chart and spent 14 weeks on the chart. Not a massive hit, but it got a fair amount of airplay in my area.

I did an A/B of the US Remix and Rock Remix from start to finish, and I cannot detect any differences between the two.

The "Single Mix" sounds a little duller on the high end and has some very minor differences from the US Remix. Most notably, the opening line has the vocal held longer on the word "only" in the US Remix. There are also some changes in instrumentation levels throughout between the two, but I don't really hear anything "new" introduced in the US Remix. It simply sounds like a slightly hotter, more polished mix.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 October 2018 at 3:00pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

aaronk wrote:
It peaked at #12 on the R&R pop chart and spent 14 weeks on the chart. Not a massive hit, but it got a fair amount of airplay in my area.

I did an A/B of the US Remix and Rock Remix from start to finish, and I cannot detect any differences between the two.

The "Single Mix" sounds a little duller on the high end and has some very minor differences from the US Remix. Most notably, the opening line has the vocal held longer on the word "only" in the US Remix. There are also some changes in instrumentation levels throughout between the two, but I don't really hear anything "new" introduced in the US Remix. It simply sounds like a slightly hotter, more polished mix.

The U.S. Mix is a hotter more polished mix. I think this is clearly the hit version. I agree Aaron, the single mix is dull. I hate when we have situations like this and can't determine 100 percent which version radio played.
Back to Top View PopArchivist's Profile Search for other posts by PopArchivist

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 03 October 2018 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I agree. Without hearing from someone who was in CHR radio at the time, it's hard to say. The mixes are very similar. There's nothing that really stands out in the US Remix that would distinguish it when heard on the air. Furthermore, radio uses so much compression and processing, the "Single Mix" would probably sound a lot less dull when played on the air.

For what it's worth, TM Century issued the "Single Mix" on both HitDisc and GoldDisc, so I'm sure there are many small and medium market stations who would've aired it from this disc. Also, I think it's possible that a lot of programmers would've chosen cut #1 from the promo CD, especially since there aren't any major differences between the three choices they had.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version