Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Rosie & The Originals - Angel Baby Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 06 September 2018 at 9:45pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I was looking over the database entries for "Angel Baby" by Rosie & The Originals, and I noticed several entries that say "highly edited." Normally I just skip right over those without giving them much attention, but then I also noticed that the printed time on all 45 copies exactly match the "highly edited" CD run times, both of which are 2:45.

Does anyone have a 45 with an actual run time that matches the printed time? Pat's note in the database says 45s run 3:42, but maybe there is another pressing with a shorter version.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 September 2018 at 10:24pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

The original Highland 45 label was incorrect on purpose Aaron to hopefully get radio play. An old trick that the record companies tried often in the AM radio days and it worked well on many occasions including this one.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 September 2018 at 11:38pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I assumed that was the case, but I thought I'd ask anyhow. I also find it coincidental that several CDs have a 2:45 run time, and I wonder where this version originates from. It can be found on comps from Time-Life, Thump, East Side Records, and even a TJL (PBS) compilation.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 September 2018 at 5:34pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Aaron, that shorter edit is the UK single version. In the UK, they wisely decided to edit it much shorter. It originally appeared on an Ace CD in the early 90s ("Golden Age Of American R&R Vol 1"). Since the British tape was intact and sounded OK, a lot of US CD's used that version instead of the full U.S. version.

The U.S. master was lost many decades ago so all CD's with the full length version are from vinyl. And, some of them are edit jobs where they took the UK tape version and spliced in the missing portions from vinyl.

Lastly, I'll give my own plug: the version we worked on earlier this year for Complete 60s records is digitally extracted stereo....however when we deconstructed the mix, we used advanced SW to clean each track individually (even the tape source had some distortion present in the original recording). So if you take our stereo mix and fold it to mono you have the cleanest source for the long version anywhere...sounds like a session tape all the way thru.
I never cared for the song much...very lo-fi recording and always sounded shrill. But now it has a great warmth and presence and really like it now - not shrill at all. It sounds like Rosie is standing right in front of you.
Thanks for letting me plug :-)

MM
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 September 2018 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

That explains it. Thanks to Mark and Aaron. Would the edit now be labeled UK single version in the database (instead of highly edited)?

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 08 September 2018 at 9:28am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks for the details, Mark! That makes total sense.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version