Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: O.T. -- "Peter Gunn" - Art of Noise Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 02 July 2018 at 12:06am | IP Logged Quote NightAire

It only made it to #50 on the Hot 100, but I know this is loved by those who consider it the "other" hit of the otherwise one-hit wonders, Art Of Noise.

The LP version is apparently about 3:55. There is a shorter version that runs about 3:13.

There are MULTIPLE (easy) edits in Peter Gunn by Art of Noise to make the single edit.

I started with the version on Priority Records' "Rock Of The 80's Volume 11." It ran 3:57.960 without trimming opening and closing silence.

First, remove 1:52.327 to 2:04.339.

From what is left, remove 2:07.348 - 2:23.348.

From what is left, remove 2:29.342 - 2:37.351.

From what is left, remove 2:39.341 - 2:47.341.

After removing the leading and trailing silence, this leaves you with a file length of 3:10.854 (depending on how tight you trim it).

Whether this means the original 45 was 3:10 or not, I'm not sure. There is a minor speed difference, but no more than I might expect from two different masterings. It's not noticeable until you play them together. The 45 does sound like to starts fading a little earlier and/or maybe a little faster, but not by a lot.

I hope this helps someone!

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

mjb50
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 24 January 2022 at 11:14pm | IP Logged Quote mjb50

The 45 starts a linear fade at about 2:42 and ends at 3:13.7.

Starting with the album version (from the 1986 In Visible Silence CD), you need to slow it down 0.19% (e.g. reinterpret sample rate as 44016) in order to match the 45 speed.

After making the edits described by NightAire, you'll see the album version starts its fade about 4 seconds later then the 45, and the fade is more S-shaped, dropping very slowly at first, then quickly, then slowly again. Unfortunately, it is done by 3:11.2, a good 2.4 seconds before the 45 fade is done.

So although the 45 fade starts earlier, it ends up taking 2.4 seconds longer to reach the end, and it's gentler, so you can actually hear those extra seconds of extra twangin'!

The Twang Mix (one of the 12" versions) has the same ending as the album, so it's no help. The missing content actually does exist at the end of the Extended Version (the other 12" version), but that's a unique mix; the stereo effects on it won't match up. So it seems the 7" version cannot be recreated entirely from CD sources.
Back to Top View mjb50's Profile Search for other posts by mjb50 Visit mjb50's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version