Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Johnny Nash - I Can See Clearly Now Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 03 March 2018 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I found one CD that sounds significantly better than all the others I have for this song. Columbia/Legacy's Rock Artifacts Vol. 2 (1991) seems to use a lower-generation source tape than all the others, and has much more high-end detail than all the others.

These Rock Artifacts collections are truly extraordinary, and I highly recommend all four volumes. All were released in 1991, and were repackaged in 1998 without the informative booklet. Kudos to digital producer Bob Irwin and mastering engineer Vic Anesini, both of whom did an exceptional job with these compilation CDs.

The oldest CD I have with the song is Rhino's Billboard Top R&R Hits 1972 (1989), which uses a higher-generation tape source than Artifacts. The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 3 1972 (1989) - digitally identical
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Seventies Music Explosion Vol. 3 Miracles (2005) - digitally exactly 1.1 dB louder
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Classic Soft Rock Vol. 5 California Dreamin' (2006) - differently-EQ'd digital clone
Time-Life's Superhits Vol. 11 1972 (1991) uses the same analog transfer as Billboard, but flips the left and right channels. I believe that all the tracks on this disc have their left and right channels swapped; that was the case with the 1973 disc. Superhits was later repackaged as AM Gold Vol. 7 1972, which had the same mastering and retained the left/right error. There's a digitally identical clone on Time-Life's 2-CD Singers And Songwriters Vol. 1 1972-1973 (2000), which also has the left/right error.

Other discs:
  • Rhino's Didn't It Blow Your Mind Vol. 9 (1991) seems to use a different analog transfer of the same source tape used on Billboard.
  • Time-Life's Solid Gold Soul Vol. 28 Inspiration (2000) is a differently-EQ'd digital clone of Didn't I.
  • Sony's Seems Like Yesterday Vol. 1 (1989) fades a little more quickly than the other discs.
  • Razor & Tie's 2-CD Super '70s (1995) has a severe channel imbalance that makes the left channel way too quiet - avoid.
My recommendation: Get Columbia/Legacy's Rock Artifacts Vol. 2 (1991) for "I Can See Clearly Now", and enjoy the many other terrific-sounding tracks on that fine collection.

(I am in no way affiliated with Columbia/Legacy, Bob Irwin, or Vic Anesini. Just fans of their work.)

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 March 2018 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

I have the song on The Best Of, and after listening
to some 45s on YouTuibe, the channels on my copy also had
the left/right error.

Erie, PA
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 March 2018 at 11:01pm | IP Logged Quote davidclark

I notice that Rock Artifacts runs 2:42 while the 45 runs 2:45. Yeah,
I know, it's that 3-second thing, but does it run faster, or does it
fade earlier?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version