Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Time-Life’s Superhits and AM Gold 1973 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 04 September 2017 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

The Time-Life compilation Superhits Vol. 13 1973 (1992) was later repackaged as AM Gold Vol. 3 1973 (1992). The disc contents are identical in every way, but the packaging and liner notes are different.

Unfortunately, due to a mastering error, the left and right channels are swapped on all 21 tracks on these discs. The left/right channel swaps have propagated into downstream masterings, annoying purists like me. The source of all these left/right problems is Superhits Vol. 13 1973 and AM Gold Vol. 3 1973. Avoid Superhits Vol. 13 1973 (1992) and AM Gold Vol. 3 1973 (1992), if you can.

I've listed all the downstream discs that I have; there may be more.

1. DELTA DAWN - Helen Reddy
  • Uses the same analog transfer as Greatest Hits And More (1987) and 10 Best Series (1991), which are digitally identical to one another and have correct left and right channels
  • Reader's Digest's 4-CD American Pie (1998) uses the same analog transfer as AM Gold and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Singers And Songwriters Vol. 9 Early '70s (2000) is digitally identical to AM Gold and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
2. BAD BAD LEROY BROWN - Jim Croce
  • Uses the same analog transfer as Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 14 1973 Take Two (1991), which has correct left and right channels
3. TIE A YELLOW RIBBON ROUND THE OLD OAK TREE - Tony Orlando And Dawn
  • I think that this uses the same analog transfer as Best Of (RE-1 mastering), which has correct left and right channels
  • Reader's Digest's 4-CD American Pie (1998) uses the same analog transfer as AM Gold and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
  • Time-Life's AM Gold Vol. 31 Mellow Hits Of The '70s (2000) is digitally identical to AM Gold and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Singers And Songwriters Vol. 17 1973-1975 (2002) is a differently-EQ'd digital clone of AM Gold and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
4. SHAMBALA - Three Dog Night
  • Uses the same analog transfer as Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 14 1973 Take Two (1991), which has correct left and right channels
5. DRIFT AWAY - Dobie Gray
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Singers And Songwriters Vol. 9 Early '70s (2000) is digitally identical to AM Gold and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
6. CALL ME (COME BACK HOME) - Al Green
7. DON'T LET ME BE LONELY TONIGHT - James Taylor
  • Uses the same analog transfer as Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 14 1973 Take Two (1991), which is a differently-EQ'd digital clone of Warner Special Products' 2-CD Love Songs (1988), both of which have correct left and right channels
8. UNTIL YOU COME BACK TO ME (THAT'S WHAT I'M GONNA DO) - Aretha Franklin
  • Uses the same analog transfer as Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 15 1974 Take Two (1991), which is a differently-EQ'd digital clone of Atlantic's Golden Age Of Black Music 1970-1975 (1988), which uses the same analog transfer as 30 Greatest Hits but with its absolute polarity inverted (insignificant), which is digitally identical to Best Of (1984). All of these have correct left and right channels.
9. YOU'RE SO VAIN - Carly Simon
  • Uses the same analog transfer as Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 25 Seventies Generation (1992), which has correct left and right channels
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Singers And Songwriters Vol. 1 1972-1973 (2000) is digitally exactly 2.5 dB louder than AM Gold and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Seventies Music Explosion Vol. 1 Sunshine (2005) is digitally exactly 2.5 dB louder than AM Gold and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Classic Soft Rock Vol. 2 Ride Like The Wind (2006) is a differently-EQ'd digital clone of AM Gold and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
  • Reader's Digest's 4-CD Time In A Bottle (2006) uses the same analog transfer as AM Gold and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
10. HELLO IT'S ME - Todd Rundgren
  • Uses the same analog transfer as Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 6 1973 (1990), which has correct left and right channels
11. THE MORNING AFTER - Maureen McGovern
  • Uses the same analog transfer as Rhino's Have A Nice Day Vol. 11 (1990), which has correct left and right channels
  • Warner Special Products' 2-CD Seventies Feelings (1995) uses the same analog transfer as AM Gold and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Singers And Songwriters Vol. 17 1973-1975 (2002) is digitally identical to AM Gold and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Seventies Music Explosion Vol. 2 Escape (2005) is digitally exactly 1.45 dB louder than AM Gold and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
12. AIN'T NO WOMAN (LIKE THE ONE I'VE GOT) - Four Tops
  • Uses the same analog transfer as Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 6 1973 (1990), which has correct left and right channels
13. STUCK IN THE MIDDLE WITH YOU - Stealers Wheel
  • Uses the same analog transfer as Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 6 1973 (1990), which in turn uses the same analog transfer as Rhino's Have A Nice Day Vol. 10 (1990), both of which have correct left and right channels
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Singers And Songwriters Vol. 8 Mid-'70s (2001) is digitally identical to AM Gold and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
  • Realm's 3-CD Greatest Hits Of The '70s Vol. 2 (2002) is digitally exactly 1.13 dB louder than AM Gold and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Classic Soft Rock Vol. 10 Heat Of The Moment (2007) is digitally identical to AM Gold and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
14. COULD IT BE I'M FALLING IN LOVE - Spinners
  • Uses the same analog transfer as Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 6 1973 (1990)
15. MIDNIGHT TRAIN TO GEORGIA - Gladys Knight And The Pips
  • Uses the same analog transfer as Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 6 1973 (1990), which is digitally identical to Rhino's Billboard Top R&R Hits 1973 (1988), both of which have correct left and right channels
  • Warner Special Products' 2-CD Seventies Party Mix (1996) uses the same analog transfer as AM Gold and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
16. DIAMOND GIRL - Seals And Crofts
17. TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING - Diana Ross
  • Uses the same analog transfer as a whole bunch of Motown discs, which all trace their masterings back to the Diana Ross disc Compact Command Performances (1983). The Diana Ross disc All The Great Love Songs (1984) is digitally identical to Compact. The Motown compilations Twelve #1 Hits From The 70's (1982) and Endless Love 15 Of Motown's Greatest Love Songs (1986) are both differently-EQ'd digital clones of Compact. All of these have correct left and right channels.
18. THE COVER OF ROLLING STONE - Dr. Hook And The Medicine Show
  • Uses the same analog transfer as Rhino's Have A Nice Day Vol. 10 (1990), which has correct left and right channels
19. MY MARIA - B.W. Stevenson
  • Uses the same analog transfer as RCA's Nipper's Greatest Hits The '70s (1989), which has correct left and right channels
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Singers And Songwriters Vol. 8 Mid-'70s (2001) is digitally exactly 1.5 dB louder than AM Gold and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Seventies Music Explosion One-Hit Wonders (2005) is digitally exactly 1.9 dB louder than AM Gold and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
20. WILDFLOWER - Skylark
  • Uses the same analog transfer as Rhino's Have A Nice Day Vol. 10 (1990), which has correct left and right channels
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Singers And Songwriters Vol. 8 Mid-'70s (2001) is digitally identical to AM Gold and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
21. ALL I KNOW - Art Garfunkel
  • I don't know the source of AM Gold's mastering, but the left and right channels are swapped compared to Columbia's Garfunkel CD (1988).
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Body Talk Vol. 9 Magic Moments (1996) is a differently-EQ'd digital clone of AM Gold and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Body Talk The Language Of Love (1998) is digitally identical to Body Talk Vol. 9 Magic Moments and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Singers And Songwriters Vol. 1 1972-1973 (2000) is digitally identical to AM Gold and therefore has its left and right channels swapped
  • Time-Life's Ultimate Love Songs Collection Almost Paradise (2004) is digitally identical to Body Talk Vol. 9 Magic Moments and therefore has its left and right channels swapped

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version