Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Neil Diamond BANG info... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 22 April 2006 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote davidclark

I GOT THE FEELIN' (OH NO NO)

on the mono "The Feel of Neil Diamond" LP the backing vocals are missing starting at 1:13 giving the horns more emphasis (this version appears on the CD "Greatest Hits 1966-1992"), and, on that mono mix (and on the original stereo LP mix) Neil's lead vocal disappears in two places (1:53 and 1:58) while the girls sing "ohhh, ohhh"; the mono version on "In My Lifetime" is the 45 and is a fold-down of the original stereo "The Feel of Neil Diamond" LP; on the "Classics Early Years" CD, that stereo remix is a narrower mix than the original stereo mix and Neil sings the phrases "Oh yes I do, girl" and "That I'm losing you" that fill the aforementioned vocal disappearances.

So, how to label these. I guess "45 version" for "In My Lifetime"; "remix with added vocal overdubs" for "Classics Early Years"; and "mono LP version" for "Greatest Hits 1966-1992". Carry this forward to other CD appearances as appropriate.

YOU GOT TO ME

mono 45 (on "In My Lifetime") is a fold-down of the version on the stereo "Just For You" LP but has additional backing "oooh"s during the chorus; mono "Just For You" LP has an alternate vocal take.

So, "In My Lifetime" needs "45 version"; "Classics Early Years" CD needs "stereo LP version"; "Greatest Hits 1966-1992" might use that alternate vocal take from the mono LP, if so, would be "mono LP version".

GIRL, YOU'LL BE A WOMAN SOON

on the mono 45 (and on the mono "Just For You" LP), the string section is missing from the first chorus.

So, "In My Lifetime" needs 45 version; maybe add "remix" to "Classics Early Years" CD.

DO IT

the 45 contains a bongos overdub which is not present on the "Classics Early Years" CD.

So, that CD needs "neither the LP nor 45 version" or something like that.

BTW, I retrieved this information from the site "http://www.angelfire.com/mo/iris/neilbang.html". I can only assume the info is accurate, however, I no have original LPs nor 45s with which to compare.

Pat, yours to handle accordingly! I believe I've made correct conclusions above. Figured you'd want this added info since you have accurate infor for "Cherry, Cherry" and "Solitary Man".

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 22 April 2006 at 2:36pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Very interesting and insightful information David. The only comment that I can add is that for "Girl You'll Be A Woman Soon", the 45, the mono LP "Just For You" and the stereo LP "Just for You" are the same i.e., they do not have the strings in the first chorus so I made no distinction between 45 version or LP version since they are the same.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version