Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Tears For Fears - Songs From The Big... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 17 March 2016 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Tears For Fears Songs From The Big Chair was released in 1998 on Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (UDCD 730). I don't know if Pat includes their releases in the database, but I thought I would post the details of the top 40 hits contained on it, because they differ from other CDs currently in the database:

(S) Shout (LP version) (6:35)
(S) Everybody Wants To Rule The World (4:12)
(S) Mother's Talk (LP version) (5:07)
(S) Head Over Heels (neither 45 nor LP version; segues into next track) (5:23)
(S) Shout (:34 longer than 12" single version; UK remix) (8:14)
(S) Everybody Wants To Rule The World (12" single version) (5:40)

The "neither" version of "Head Over Heels" on this disc is due to an additional segment from 3:24 to 3:45. This unique segment has been edited out of the true LP version and is an additional repeat of the "la la la la" refrain.

The MFSL CD was the first time that the UK Remix of "Shout" (one of two remixes on the US 12" single) appeared on CD, although it runs longer.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

padj79
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 March 2016 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote padj79

The interesting thing about the Mobile Fidelity version of Songs From The Big Chair is that the stereo channels are reversed from the most recent CD releases (1999, 2006, and 2014). I did not check the original CD from 1985.

Listen to the cowbells at the beginning of the LP version of Shout. On the MFSL version it goes from right to left, just like the original LP release. On most other CD and Hi-Res releases it goes from left to right.

Chris Hughes, who produced the original album, has stated that left to right is indeed correct. So, amazingly, the original LP had the channels reversed!
Back to Top View padj79's Profile Search for other posts by padj79

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 17 March 2016 at 9:12pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just checked, and you're correct. The MFSL CD has the cowbells going from right-to-left. The 1985 CD has them going from left-to-right, the way Chris Hughes intended.

Ron and I were discussing this on email today, and the conclusion we came to, for purposes of this forum and database, is that the "correct" version is the one that matches the original vinyl LP, regardless of what the producer's intentions were. My personal feeling, though, is that the channel reversal doesn't affect my listening enjoyment. :)

Take your pick...and welcome to the board!

Edited by aaronk on 17 March 2016 at 10:07pm

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version