Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Eurythmics "There Must Be An Angel (Playi Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Loveland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 13 March 2016 at 11:08pm | IP Logged Quote Loveland

Eurythmics "There Must Be An Angel (Playing With My Heart)"

So we all know that the Special Dance Mix has never been re-issued from the master tapes. How about the single version, "Edited Version", which clocks at around 4:30?    A 4:45 mix
can be found on all of their different GH editions. Does anyone know if this is the "Edited Version", with perhaps seconds of silence at the end?

Edited by Loveland on 13 March 2016 at 11:08pm
Back to Top View Loveland's Profile Search for other posts by Loveland

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 June 2019 at 5:26pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Is the edited version Loveland was looking for the same as the 45 Version? If so, it looks like the answer is in the database.

I'm wondering if there was a special edit / mix for radio or if the 45 version was the radio version.

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 April 2020 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

The 45 "Edited Version" is an edit of the LP Version, and matches the official music video (sans the opening chatter, of course), but the audio of the video actually fades out a few seconds before the 45. Sadly, the version on (all?) Eurythmics compilations is an early fade of the LP Version, and loses a lot more of the harmonica solo at the end as a result. In many years keeping my eyes peeled, I have never seen a radio edit of the "Special Dance Mix", so I have accepted that an official edit of that version likely does not exist.

To get the "Edited Version"/commercial 45 of "There Must Be An Angel", it's one edit made to the LP Mix and a fade. Using the original 'Be Yourself Tonight' CD, I cut 17.102 seconds beginning at the kick drum at 2:04 (it's the end of the very 1st vocal line of the 2nd chorus: Annie has not quite finished singing the word "angel"), to the same point in the second run-through of the chorus at 2:21. If you did it right, you will suddenly hear a stronger string section in the mix at your edit point. To get the edit smooth, I did something I rarely ever do here, which is that I made my edits just to the right side of the kick attack instead of the left side of the beat, because cutting right on the beat made the kick too strong to my ears when compared with the music video. Your mileage may vary.

Regarding the fade: the YouTube 45 rip I used as my guide when editing cuts at 4:30, but I cut my edited file at 4:33, and applied a fade from about 4:25.5 to the end. While this fade is longer than the YouTube video, it sounded to my ears like either the person who posted the video ended the video before the music had faded all the way out, or the fade on the 45 has a rushed, truncated ending -- which I personally don't care for. If anyone has a definitive "actual" run time on the 45, that may be helpful for future reference, but fading to 4:33 while Stevie is letting the harmonica go low and limp for a second sounds very natural to me.

Edited by EternalStatic on 19 April 2020 at 12:57pm
Back to Top View EternalStatic's Profile Search for other posts by EternalStatic

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version