Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: OT: Nolan Thomas - Yo Little Brother Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 04 January 2016 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

I'm embarrassed to be asking about this one...

Nolan Thomas's 1985 almost-hit "Yo Little Brother," mostly famous for it's kids dressed up as Prince, Cyndi Lauper, and Bruce Springsteen, appears to have come in at least two lengths... perhaps three... and at least one remix of the LP version:

The single mix runs (according to the label) 3:26. I have yet to get ahold of a copy of this version to determine the actual length, or if its mix matches the LP or the video mix.

The video mix is a different mix from the LP version, and runs 3:40.

The LP version runs 5:20.

Does anybody know if the single version was really 3:26... and did it match the LP mix, the video mix, or was it an independent mix?

I didn't see a separate 12" mix listed in Discogs, but I wondered if the dub mix could be used to recreate the single.

Thank you, and I'm sorry. ;-)

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 January 2016 at 4:23pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Don't apologize! "Yo Little Brother" is a real gem, produced by the talented guys at Mirage Records (Shannon, etc.) I like the song so much that I use it as an integral part of my radio show intro.

The 45 intro can't be recreated from the LP version, but I think the mix is the same. I will check.

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 January 2016 at 5:21pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

NightAire wrote:
The single mix runs (according to the label) 3:26. I have yet to get ahold of a copy of this version to determine the actual length, or if its mix matches the LP or the video mix...Does anybody know if the single version was really 3:26... and did it match the LP mix, the video mix, or was it an independent mix?

While I don't own the 45 myself, apparently it does indeed run about (3:26) - perhaps a second or two shorter, at (3:24)-(3:25). The 45 version can be found on two U.S. CDs from Thump Records: 1995's Bass Bomb, Vol. Four: Freestyle Latin Hip-Hop (Thump 206575040) (page on AllMusic here) and 1998's Freestyle Explosion, Volume 2 (Thump 9977) (page on Discogs here). Here's the 45 version on YouTube: NOLAN THOMAS - "Yo' Little Brother" (45 version)

I've always loved "Yo' Little Brother", too - as cftp noted, primarily because it was produced by Mark Liggett & Chris Barbosa, who had previously worked w/ Shannon. I didn't really "discover" the song until the mid to late '90s, as I don't recall ever hearing it on the radio in SoCal in 1984-85, and I know I never saw that infamous video on MTV at the time, either (yeah, it IS kinda bizarre!). I finally picked up the Yo' Little Brother album on cassette about 20 years ago, and now have the Canadian CD of it on Unidisc as well. I also like "Too White"...
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 January 2016 at 11:16pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Great info, 80s Music Freak! I'll be looking for those CDs, for sure... and great to hear the single version. I don't know how you found that, though... I searched YouTube for this and totally missed it! Thanks for the link.

The music itself actually IS OK, especially for the period... that video is just... a challenge... to get past. :-D The song reminds me just a little of Tony! Toni! Toné! and their song "Little Walter." I'm not sure exactly what it is about it, but it feels like they're in the same general musical area.

...Speaking of the CD, did you notice both how much the CD was brickwall limited, as well as being unevenly limited between the channels? Seems like the right channel was a LOT more clipped than the left when I looked at it in Adobe Audition. I don't know why you would do that...

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 January 2016 at 5:49am | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

Does anyone know if those two Thump CDs referenced above segue all of the tracks together? Many of the freestyle comps on the Thump label do that.

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 January 2016 at 6:49pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Santi Paradoa wrote:
Does anyone know if those two Thump CDs referenced above segue all of the tracks together? Many of the freestyle comps on the Thump label do that.

Hmmm, Pat does already list Freestyle Explosion, Volume 2 (Thump 9977) in the on-line database, thanks to the inclusion of three top 40 hits: "Let Me Be the One" by Expose (1987), "Tell it to My Heart" by Taylor Dayne (1988), and "Bad of the Heart" by George LaMond (1990) - and yes, in his db notes, he DOES state "(all selections on this cd are segued together)" next to all three song entries. I was not previously aware of that - good catch!
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version