Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Jay Ferguson - Thunder Island Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 14 May 2015 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

A fine hit from 1978, featuring Joe Walsh on guitar.

I have the LP length on Rhino's Mellow Rock Hits Summer Breeze (1997), where it runs 3:59. It sounds really muffled on this disc, unfortunately, with very little high end, and an ill-defined soundstage. If I had to guess, I'd guess that it's from a higher-generation source tape. There's a digitally identical clone on Time-Life's 2-CD Singers And Songwriters Vol. 12 1975-1979 (2001).

I have the 45 length on Rhino's Have A Nice Day Vol. 21 (1993), where it runs 3:28 and fades from 3:09 to 3:28. It's a little loud and clips a bit, but the song sounds WAY better here than on Summer Breeze. There are digital clones on:
  • Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 39 Pop Nuggets Late '70s (1995; differently EQ'd digital clone)
  • Time-Life's AM Gold Vol. 25 1978 (1997; digitally exactly 0.5 dB quieter)
The Time-Life CD Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 35 AM Nuggets (1993) uses the same analog transfer as Have A Nice Day but reversed the left/right channels and fades a few seconds early. That's bad. I have two other discs that are based on the mastering for AM Nuggets, and also have their left/right channels reversed and fade a few seconds early:
  • JCI's Only Rock 'N Roll #1 Radio Hits 1975-1979 (1996)
  • Warner Special Products' 2-CD Seventies Party Mix (1996)
My recommendations:

For the LP length, go with Rhino's Mellow Rock Hits Summer Breeze (1997) or a digital clone. (I can't vouch for more recent discs, or any of the Jay Ferguson single-artist discs.)

For the 45 length, go with Rhino's Have A Nice Day Vol. 21 (1993) or a digital clone.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 18 May 2015 at 10:58am

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 05 August 2023 at 1:10pm | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

The database notes: "The actual 45 running time is (3:23) not (3:19) as stated on the record label. That's true for the stock 45 and DJ stereo, but the DJ mono fades out at 3:21,
and you don't hear that very low guitar that's on the stereo fade out. Basically, it's faded two seconds early, the speed difference is very minor, with the mono ever so slightly
faster. Otherwise it sounds like a fold down from the stereo. No mix differences that I can hear.

Edited by Bill Cahill on 05 August 2023 at 1:11pm
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version