Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: ? About The Beatles’ "Help!" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 14 April 2006 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Noting that the Capitol Albums, Vol. 2 release has both the stereo and mono LP versions of "Help!", is it safe to assume that if you strip the James Bond introduction off the mono version you would have the 45, or does the 45 have other differences?

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

anthology123
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 April 2006 at 12:31pm | IP Logged Quote anthology123

I have Vol. 2 , but did not listen to that yet to confirm. The best way I know
to compare is the vocals. In the first verse, John sings '...change my mind...'
very clearly on the mono. However, on the stereo, it's different and he sings
it rather fast so it sounds more like '...chain-ma-mind...'
Back to Top View anthology123's Profile Search for other posts by anthology123

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 April 2006 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I don't have it yet, either... waiting for the correct pressing. (For anyone who doesn't know, the initial shipments contained incorrect fold-downs for the mono versions of Rubber Soul and Beatles IV. The correct version is identifiable by the teeny-tiny catalog number on the yellow sticker on the front of the package -- it should end in SK1.)

Another stereo/mono difference on the song "Help" is that at one point in the stereo mix, they sing "opened up the DOORS," plural, whereas in the mono mix they sing "door" every time.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 April 2006 at 1:46am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Okay, Doug, I bought the Capitol Albums Vol. 2 today, and also checked with the many Beatles experts on the Steve Hoffman site.

No, the mono version on Capitol Albums V. 2 cannot be made into the 45 version. Capitol in the mid-1960s simply folded the stereo versions of the Beatles' ALBUMS (not the singles) down for the mono releases. So the US mono album version of "Help" uses the LP vocal.

You can tell on the first "Now I find I've changed my mind" -- on the LP version, John runs the words together in two spurts: "Now-I-fiiind...I've changed-my-miiind," with a pause after "mind." On the 45 version, the words are evenly spaced with no breath after "mind."

Currently, the 45 version of "Help" is ONLY available on the Beatles "CD Singles Collection." Which is not very hard to find, nor much more than list price. (But rumors are starting to swirl on the Steve Hoffman site that Capitol is considering a "Capitol Singles" set, which will probably be on three CDs rather than a box of CD singles.)

At any rate, the Capitol Albums Vol. 2 is well worth owning for its own merits. It is GREAT to finally hear Twist and Shout, Please Please Me, and Do You Want to Know a Secret in TRUE STEREO!

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 April 2006 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Brian W. wrote:
Currently, the 45 version of "Help" is ONLY available on the Beatles "CD Singles Collection." Which is not very hard to find, nor much more than list price. (But rumors are starting to swirl on the Steve Hoffman site that Capitol is considering a "Capitol Singles" set, which will probably be on three CDs rather than a box of CD singles.)

Granted, it's not hard to find, but it is a little pricier than I'd want to shell out at this point for essentially one song (even at its best price of $99 at half.com). Let's hope that the rumors about a "Capitol Singles" set are true.

Anyone here have the box?

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 April 2006 at 1:00pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

sriv94 wrote:
Granted, it's not hard to find, but it is a little pricier than I'd want to shell out at this point for essentially one song (even at its best price of $99 at half.com). Let's hope that the rumors about a "Capitol Singles" set are true.

Anyone here have the box?

Well, Help isn't the only single that's different on the box. The mono 45 version of Paperback Writer runs 7 seconds longer than the stereo version. Yesterday has added echo in the stereo mix that isn't on the mono 45. The opening of Yellow Submarine is slightly different on the 45 version (the guitar starts with the singing, rather than on the word "town"). And Revolution just rocks 10 times harder in mono.

I will say $99 is less than list price.

Edited by Brian W. on 16 April 2006 at 1:01pm

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 April 2006 at 2:04pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Point taken. But moderation in pricing is almost always better. There were some on the Steve Hoffman site lamenting the cost of the box because of the inclusion of 22 CDs in the set (even though each CD only has two songs). Kinda hard to disagree with them on that, even if it has some stuff that I want.

Edited by sriv94 on 16 April 2006 at 2:05pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version