Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: New Milli Vanilli Compilation Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
maciav
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 25 February 2015 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote maciav

I would like to say I'm embarrassed to ask this, but as a
completist I'm not.
Does anyone know if the new Milli Vanilli compilation has
any single mixes / versions? Here is a link if you don't
know about the disc or you are curious about it:

http://www.amazon.com/Girl-You-Know-Its-
True/dp/B00S2SYPYY/ref=sr_1_3?
s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1424912791&sr=1-
3&keywords=milli+vanilli

I apologize in advance if we aren't supposed to paste links
on this website. I would check the forum rules, but I
probably wouldn't have any luck getting back to this screen
on my smartphone.

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 February 2015 at 7:10pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

I haven't purchased this new release as of yet but would
also like to know if there is indeed any 45 versions
included.

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 February 2015 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

I wasn't aware of this Best of... CD prior to maciav's post above. As I admitted in a detailed story a couple years ago over in the Bette Midler - "Wind Beneath My Wings" thread, I actually went & saw Rob & Fab perform "live" as MV in June of 1990, about 4-5 months before the scandal broke. :-) At that time, I said I'd always wondered why MV's music remained out-of-print here in the U.S., regardless of who sang the vocals. I've actually been waiting for a domestic hits collection of some sort from them for quite a while myself...

Therefore, I just did some additional on-line research of this "new" CD, and here's what I found: Girl You Know it's True: The Best of... was first released over in the U.K. in July of 2013, w/ the same cover art & track listing. So it appears that after a year-and-a-half of hesitating, on January 27 Sony/BMG finally decided to issue it here in the U.S. as well. I also found listings for the original 2013 U.K. edition - including track timings - over at iTunes here and Last.fm here.

Of course, MV had five top 40 hits here in the U.S., and all are included on Girl You Know it's True: The Best of... (two of them w/ bonus mixes). FWIW, assuming the versions on this new 2015 U.S. edition match the original U.K. import (which they more than likely do), here's a preliminary analysis:

1989 "Girl You Know it's True" U.S. 45 = (3:49)/U.S. LP = (4:11)/Best of... CD = (3:18)
       (conclusion: version previously unreleased in U.S.)

1989 "Baby Don't Forget My Number" U.S. 45 = (4:01)/U.S. LP = (4:15)/Best of... CD = (4:09)

1989 "Girl I'm Gonna Miss You" U.S. 45 = (4:23)/U.S. LP = (3:57)/Best of... CD = (3:58)
       (conclusion: LP version)

1989 "Blame it on the Rain" U.S. 45 = (4:08)/U.S. LP = (4:18)/Best of... CD = (4:08)
       (conclusion: 45 version)

1990 "All or Nothing" U.S. 45 = (3:55)/U.S. LP = (3:15)/Best of... CD = (3:20)

The CD also adds the "N.Y.C. Subway Remix" of "Girl You Know it's True" running (4:00), as well as the "U.S. Club Mix" of "All or Nothing" running (4:32). I want to emphasize that I don't yet have this CD myself, and that my conclusions are based strictly on the CD timings that I found on-line. Hopefully Pat will be adding this new release to the db soon, and I look forward to his "official" report - but at the very least, I'd say that "Blame it on the Rain" looks pretty promising for those seeking 45 versions...
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 March 2015 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I have added the information regarding "Girl You Know It's True - Best Of" to the database and it is a total disaster in my opinion. The only correction from what was reported above is with regards to the song "Blame It On The Rain" which is neither the 45 nor LP version.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 March 2015 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Pat Downey wrote:
I have added the information regarding "Girl You Know It's True - Best Of" to the database and it is a total disaster in my opinion. The only correction from what was reported above is with regards to the song "Blame It On The Rain" which is neither the 45 nor LP version.

So even though the (4:07)-(4:08) timing for "Blame it on the Rain" was correct and matches the length of the 45 version, it's NOT actually the 45 version on this new CD??? So it must be remixed vs. the U.S. 45 version??? Or else it's the LP version faded :11 early??? Bummer!

Also Pat, you report the timing of "Baby Don't Forget My Number" as being (4:15) on this new CD, which actually matches the length of the LP version - yet that one isn't the true LP version, either???

Yeah, I'd say "disaster" sounds about right! Think I'm gonna pass on this one... :-(
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 March 2015 at 7:47am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

The correct running time of Baby Don't Forget My Number is (4:08) not (4:15) and you are correct it is a "neither the 45 nor LP version".
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 March 2015 at 2:52pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

I'm still searching for the version of "blame It On The
Rain" I played on the radio. It apparently was neither the
LP nor the 45 version; I'll be curious to see if this is
the version we played.

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

Loveland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 March 2016 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote Loveland

NightAire wrote:
I'm still searching for the version of "blame It On The Rain" I played on the radio. It apparently was neither the LP nor the 45 version; I'll be curious to see if
this is the version we played.

Keep an eye on eBay. The U.S. Promo CD Maxi Single shows up here and there, and it's the only place to find this fix. Also, the European Single Version is based on the U.S. Single
Version, but it's slightly different, adding female singers. This version is the one used on the music video (aired worldwide, including North American).

It's amazing how the single version of "Girl You Know It's True" cannot be found anywhere. It was never issued on the album outside the U.S. The U.S. edition contains the "LP
Version", which is basically the U.S. Single Version with the spoken intro. The U.S. LP Version is the mix used on the music video worldwide. The different international CD Maxi
Singles contain various extended mixes, but none of them include the single version, with the sole exception of the French CD Maxi Single, which also utilizes the U.S. single artwork.
The best mix of this song is the one performed at the Grammys, when they won right after performing. It's the best mix, as it includes the extra verses found on the longer mix.

The only other CD to find the single version is the Arista promo CD E.P., Future No. 1 Hits, or something like that. This is the promo that radio stations used to play the song. I'm
pretty sure there was no stand-alone promo CD for "Girl You Know It's True". I don't count Maximum Milli Vanilli, as the channels are inverted for all songs.

Oh, and that U.S. compilation is just a U.S. issue of the German compilation that came out in 2013. Not a single MV compilation has ever used either the European or North American
single versions.

Edited by Loveland on 11 March 2016 at 11:57am
Back to Top View Loveland's Profile Search for other posts by Loveland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 March 2016 at 12:28am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Loveland wrote:
I don't count Maximum Milli Vanilli, as the channels are inverted for all songs.

There's an easy fix for this. Just face the opposite direction of your speakers when listening :)

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Ron S
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 December 2018 at 11:11am | IP Logged Quote Ron S

NightAire wrote:
I'm still searching for the version of "blame It On The
Rain" I played on the radio. It apparently was neither the
LP nor the 45 version; I'll be curious to see if this is
the version we played.

Did you ever figure out what version your station played? I am curious to which
version was actually the hit version.
Back to Top View Ron S's Profile Search for other posts by Ron S

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 December 2018 at 12:59am | IP Logged Quote NightAire

UPDATE: Aaron to the rescue again; he's allowed me to hear cut 2 of the promo CD single, and that's what we played, no question! My understanding is it is labeled "single version." A thousand pardons for any confusion my OWN confusion created.

~~~~~

Ron, I didn't. Nothing I've found matched what we played at KMYZ in Tulsa in 1989. I wish I knew what our source was, and if what we played was the "hit radio" version!

Edited by NightAire on 18 December 2018 at 11:12pm

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 December 2018 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

aaronk wrote:
Loveland wrote:
I don't count Maximum Milli Vanilli, as the channels are inverted for all songs.

There's an easy fix for this. Just face the opposite direction of your speakers when listening :)

Or lip sync to the vocals. I hear that always works for Milli Vanilli songs.
Back to Top View PopArchivist's Profile Search for other posts by PopArchivist

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 November 2023 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

Once again another Milli Vanilli CD compilation has been released. This US Legacy/Sony Music 2023 comp is titled "The Best Of: 35th Anniversary" and has seventeen tracks total.

Two tracks are labeled US single version ("Girl I'm Gonna Miss You" and "Girl You Know It's True") and one is labeled radio mix ("Baby Don't Forget My Number").

If they did get it right this time, then these three songs would finally be on CD in their US 45 versions (not counting CD singles of course).

kaqueno
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 November 2023 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote kaqueno

Santi Paradoa wrote:
Once again another Milli Vanilli
CD compilation has been released. This US Legacy/Sony
Music 2023 comp is titled "The Best Of: 35th Anniversary"
and has seventeen tracks total.

Two tracks are labeled US single version ("Girl I'm Gonna
Miss You" and "Girl You Know It's True") and one is
labeled radio mix ("Baby Don't Forget My Number").

If they did get it right this time, then these three
songs would finally be on CD in their US 45 versions (not
counting CD singles of course).

Santi: thanks for the information

mjb50
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 November 2023 at 5:22pm | IP Logged Quote mjb50

I checked the new release on Qobuz. Other than being brickwalled (DR 7–8):

"Girl You Know It's True (US Single Version)" is the 45 version and matches "Girl You Know It's True (Single Version)" on the Maximum Milli Vanilli promo CD.

"Baby Don't Forget My Number (Radio Mix)" is the 45 version, and matches that track on the UK CD single (which has swapped channels).

"Girl I'm Gonna Miss You (US Single Version)" is the 45 version, as released on some US pressings of the Girl You Know It's True album on CD.

Also:

"Blame It on the Rain" is the Radio Mix, which is not the US 45 version a.k.a. Single Remix.

"All or Nothing" is the European album version, which is the same as the US album version, but at the very end, after the last orchestral stab, extra reverb and German spoken-word samples are overlaid.
Back to Top View mjb50's Profile Search for other posts by mjb50 Visit mjb50's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 November 2023 at 12:21am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Do you think this Milli compilation was compiled by real Compilation Producers
... or just people pretending to be Compilation Producers?

:)
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 November 2023 at 10:40pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Edison, I think it's the latter, OR they just play one on
TV. :-D
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version