Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: J. Geils Band - "I Do" (live version) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 03 October 2014 at 1:21pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

As I continue to make my way through the top 40 hits of 1983 for a personal project, I've discovered even more missing CDs from the on-line database - and like w/ Dave Edmunds, we're talking original parent albums again...

Okay, so the J. Geils Band's original studio recording of "I Do" was from the group's 1977 album, Monkey Island. It was even released as a commercial single at that time (Atlantic 3454), but failed to chart. This is detailed very well in Pat's notes in the database...

Then in late 1982, the band decided to record & release a live album, Showtime!, which included a live version of "I Do". It was selected as the lead single (EMI America 8148) from that album, and that time, "I Do" became a top 40 hit (peaking in early '83)...

But for whatever reason, Showtime! has seemingly been excluded from this song's listings in the database, despite being the original parent album of the hit live version. My research indicates that Showtime! has come out on CD at least TWICE here in the U.S. over the years (although I don't have either version myself): First in 2003 on EMI Music Special Markets 36821 (actual front & back photos on eBay: J. GEILS BAND - "Showtime!" (U.S. CD)), and again in 2008 on Collectables 1023 (actual front photo on eBay, w/ classic "Collectables" sticker attached: J. GEILS BAND - "Showtime!" (U.S. CD)). Apparently the 2003 original on EMI Music Special Markets went out-of-print when Collectables re-issued the album in 2008 (but the latter appears to still be in print)...
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Online
Posted: 04 October 2014 at 3:02am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

80smusicfreak wrote:
It was even released as a commercial single at that time (Atlantic 3454), but failed to chart.

Actually, that record DID chart in one national trade...it peaked at #121 on Record World's #101-150 chart in March 1978. BTW, this was during the time that the band shortened its name to just Geils.
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 October 2014 at 6:05am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Ah yes, there it is. I did indeed already purchase BOTH Record World chart books directly from RR, Paul, and they were a fun read - in fact, I was SOLD from the first time I read about their upcoming publication here on Pat's board back in 2012. :-) (Just wish Record World had lasted about another 10 or 15 years beyond 1982, like Cash Box!) We rarely go beyond just the "top 100" here on this board (and it seems some feel we shouldn't even go past discussing top 40 hits!), so I didn't look any further when I made that statement - but good to know...
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 October 2014 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Perhaps because I lived outside Boston, where J. Geils Band was from, the studio version was quite a big hit on pop & rock stations in 1978. To me it felt like a big hit and I was later shocked to learn it never made the top 100. Glad the live version got to #24 (?) five years later, but I always preferred the studio version.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version