Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Dead Or Alive - Brand New Love Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 14 August 2014 at 1:38am | IP Logged Quote NightAire

FYI: although there are several sources for the hit version of this song listed in the database, I thought I'd add that on iTunes right now they have one copy that matches the single. Sorta.

"That's the Way I Like It: The Best of Dead or Alive" (P)2010 Sony Entertainment UK Limited has "Brand New Lover (Edit)" HOWEVER...

It is significantly slower than the low quality copy I already had. In fact, while it lists its running time as 3:41, once you speed it up 2 & 1/2% - 3% to get it to the right playing speed, the length is nearly identical.

It is a dense copy, but not clipped, so if you didn't already have a good clean copy of this one, you can pick it up for 99 cents on iTunes.

One other oddity about it: after speeding up, I noticed the new iTunes copy starts out about 119.1 bpm, but at the 2nd verse it jumps to 119.9, and 120.4 - 120.5 by the bridge, where it pretty well stays until the end of the song.

My lo-fi copy holds pretty steady throughout at 119.4 - 119.5 bpm.

...Do you suppose they figured out they were playing to too slow while they were dubbing it and decided to slowly speed it up instead of re-dubbing?

There's no question that they speed up AT certain points in the song, because when I use a constant ramp throughout, it falls in and out of sync. The 1st verse needs to be sped up 3%, the 2nd verse 2.4%, and the bridge to the end needs to be sped up 2%.

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 August 2014 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

NightAire wrote:
One other oddity about it: after speeding up, I noticed the new iTunes copy starts out about 119.1 bpm, but at the 2nd verse it jumps to 119.9, and 120.4 - 120.5 by the bridge, where it pretty well stays until the end of the song.

My lo-fi copy holds pretty steady throughout at 119.4 - 119.5 bpm

...Do you suppose they figured out they were playing to too slow while they were dubbing it and decided to slowly speed it up instead of re-dubbing?

There's no question that they speed up AT certain points in the song, because when I use a constant ramp throughout, it falls in and out of sync. The 1st verse needs to be sped up 3%, the 2nd verse 2.4%, and the bridge to the end needs to be sped up 2%.

Gene - You're seeing the evidence of Sony piecing together a version from different sources.

If you want to reverse-engineer a song (like we do all the time here), a really good clue is the points at which the BPM changes abruptly. This only works for song that use drum machines or click tracks.

In some cases, the songs are mixed with the BPM changes built in, so that all versions have the BPM shifts. For "Brand New Lover", we know that there's a version out there that doesn't have the BPM shifts, so that we can conclude that the version with the BPM shifts is newly assembled.

I'm surprised that the iTunes version is so slow - I'd guess that they lost a proper tape copy of the 45 version.

By the way, I have the 45 version on Time-Life's 2-CD Modern Rock Vol. 20 Nightclubbing (2001), where it sounds really good, or at least as good as a Dead Or Alive track will sound.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 14 August 2014 at 7:19am

Bwci Bo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 August 2014 at 1:46pm | IP Logged Quote Bwci Bo

Just out of interest, Brand New Lover is not the only song on this album that plays too slow. Lover Come Back To Me (which was a hit here in New Zealand) also runs considerably slower on this disc than it does on the original 45. I owned That's The Way I Like It: The Best Of Dead Or Alive on CD at one point but I ended up selling it for that exact reason.
Back to Top View Bwci Bo's Profile Search for other posts by Bwci Bo

Loveland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 March 2016 at 12:49pm | IP Logged Quote Loveland

There is a PWL fan forum. On said forum, Tom Parker (he calls himself The Colonel, get it?) used to post there, until he deleted his account.   He works for PWL and has been in charge of a lot of the
PWL reissues. Anyway, he always used to get into fights with other members. You were only supposed to praise all of the PWL reissues, and if you dared to be slightly critical of PWL, watch out!

Anyhoo, everybody complained about the two tracks in question. Even Beethoven would have agreed that both tracks were completely slowed down. He said that all tracks were sourced from the original
master tapes and that's how they were really meant to sound on the first place. No one bought it.

Thankfully, there is a great U.S. compilation that includes the correct single version, along with other rare single versions (i.e. Robbie Nevil's "C'est La Vie"):

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Chart-Toppers-Dance-Hits-Of-T he-80s/release/1095589
Back to Top View Loveland's Profile Search for other posts by Loveland

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version