Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Fascinated" - Company B Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 13 March 2014 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

I was surprised to discover that no one has ever started a thread here for this song - no love for this early freestyle classic??? :-) Anyway, I just acquired a U.S. CD w/ "Fascinated" that's not listed in Pat's book or on-line database (have a subscription now). It was included on the trio's 1996 compilation of early recordings on Hot Productions 66141, which is titled "Jam on Me". Photos of this CD on Discogs (my copy is identical in every way): "Jam on Me" CD This original 1996 CD on Hot Productions - which is long out-of-print - was apparently brought back in 2008 by the Essential Media Group w/ the same title, cover art & track listing, and is still currently available for purchase as an on-demand CD-R from such retailers as Amazon, etc., but should NOT be confused w/ that version...

Two things about this appearance that are "fascinating" - er, at least interesting - though:

1) The song's actual time on this CD is (7:30), whereas the "LP version" clocks in at just (5:23) on Atlantic 81763, which was its original parent album (simply titled Company B). Therefore, I assume this version matches the one other CD appearance of the song w/ a similar timing in Pat's database, a 1998 V/A compilation titled 12" Essentials - The Eighties on Chronicles 314565343, which comes in at (7:31) and Pat has labeled as "(dj only 12" single version)". (Unfortunately, I don't have that CD to compare, so I'm just speculating, based on the nearly identical run times.) The song was first released in 1986 as a commercial 12" single on Miami-based indie label, The Summer Records, catalog no. SR-1950. (Apparently there was no 45 issued at that time.) It did so well in the Miami area, that by early '87, Atlantic picked it up and re-issued the commercial 12" on Atlantic 0-86731, and also released a 45 on Atlantic 7-89294, which is what turned the song into a top 40 pop hit. It appears that the (7:30) extended version on The Summer Records SR-1950 and Atlantic 0-86731 are identical, but can anyone confirm??? If it turns out they're different in any way, then Pat will need to add some sort of qualifier to the database - but even if they're the same, at the very least, he'll need to remove the "dj only" designator from the description, as it WAS commercially available, and also known as the "Club Mix" on both 12" singles. The "Jam on Me" CD from Hot Productions also bears the "Summer Records" logo, and...

2) What's kinda funny is that the original 1986 12" on The Summer Records actually misspelled the song title as "Facinated", but was corrected by Atlantic for both the 12" & 7" singles the following year. However, the 1996 "Jam on Me" CD from Hot Productions retains the original misspelling on both the disc & inserts, lol (again, see pics on Discogs at link above - I'll leave it up to Pat whether or not that's worth noting in the database)...
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version