Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Franke And The Knockouts - Without You Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 06 November 2013 at 7:48pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Was comparing a few versions of "Without You (Not Another
Lonely Night) by Franke And The Knockouts, and was amazed
to hear that the version on Barry Scott's Lost 45s Of
The '70s And '80s
(1998) is taken from vinyl!

I know that "Sweetheart" on Radio Daze Vol. 5
(1995) is also taken from vinyl. Not sure why Bill
Inglot couldn't find the source tapes for the Franke And
The Knockouts tracks...

I found another copy of the song on my hard drive,
labelled as being from the CD Below The Belt,
which does appear to be from a tape source. It sounds
markedly better than the Barry Scott disc. Can someone
please post label/catalog number/copyright year info for
this disc, and for the Franke And The Knockouts
compilation on Razor & Tie?

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 08 November 2013 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Great song. Your post actually prompted me to pull out my copy of The Sweetheart Collection last night, and give it a listen all the way through for the first time in quite a few years. I'd almost forgotten how much I like these guys - should've done much better here in the U.S. Of course, I've had all three of their original albums on cassette since the mid '80s. Most people don't realize that drummer Tico Torres was plucked from this group by fellow New Jerseyans Bon Jovi in 1983...

crapfromthepast wrote:
Can someone please post label/catalog number/copyright year info for...the Franke And The Knockouts compilation on Razor & Tie?

Sure. The Sweetheart Collection is on Razor & Tie 7930182185-2 (although Pat shortens it to just "82185" in the 10th edition of his book), and is from 1999; I know it was out-of-print by 2005. Don't have any of the original three albums on CD (domestic or import), just cassette...

However, w/ The Sweetheart Collection now a distant memory, it's worth noting that Franke released a new 19-track compilation of the group's work on CD here in the U.S. in 2011, which IS thankfully still in print. It's on Friday Music, and is titled The Best of...: Sweetheart - Anniversary Edition - and of course, it DOES include "Without You (Not Another Lonely Night)". Accidentally stumbled across it while out on my record-store travels about a year ago (didn't even know it existed till then), and bought it, although my copy is buried at the moment. So if it's not already listed in Pat's on-line database, it definitely belongs. Here's the page for it on Amazon, w/ the lead review supposedly posted by Franke Previte himself: The Best of...: Sweetheart - Anniversary Edition
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version