Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Sun City Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
anthology123
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 13 March 2006 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote anthology123

Is there a single version on CD anywhere, or can one be made from the LP
version? I think the album version is over 7 minutes long.
Back to Top View anthology123's Profile Search for other posts by anthology123

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 March 2006 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

i'm affraid not...........aaron has tried to re-create the 45 version using all 3 cd versions from "sun city" with no success.........you might want to email him and ask what's missing........

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 March 2006 at 12:04pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

In the 45 version, the very first chorus is nowhere to be found in any of the mixes currently available on CD. I didn't try editing any further than that. There's a chorus in one of the remixes that's close, but not close enough to make it sound right.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

anthology123
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 March 2006 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote anthology123

aaron,

Thanks for the info.

A123
Back to Top View anthology123's Profile Search for other posts by anthology123

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 January 2007 at 8:03pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

My commercial 45 for this has a listed and actual time of (5:09). Both sides of my promo 45 show a listed time of (4:58), but both sides' actual time is also (5:09).
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 August 2014 at 4:39pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

I was just researching this song, as I wouldn't mind adding the CD of the original album to my personal collection, and noticed that the on-line database could use some updating for this one. At this time, Pat claims the only appearance of this top 40 hit on a U.S. CD was on the 1993 re-issue of the song's original parent album, also titled Sun City, on Razor & Tie 2007. (And alas, it's long out-of-print, w/ used copies currently fetching $40-$60 on eBay!) And while my own research also indicates that to be true, he lists only track 1 from the CD, which is the LP version, running (7:09). Yet that doesn't tell the whole story, because as edtop40 alluded to above all the way back in 2006, there are actually THREE versions of the song on Razor & Tie 2007...

The second version is track 4, listed as "Sun City (Version II)". And while I don't have either the CD or vinyl to compare, this version allegedly runs (5:42) and was released here in the U.S. in 1985 on a promo 12" single, on Manhattan SPRO-9544, where it was re-named the "(Rock Version)". (The flip side of that promo 12" was another track from the album, Bono's "Silver and Gold", and shown as Manhattan SPRO-9545.) Here's a (somewhat poor) photo on Discogs: "Sun City" (U.S. promo 12" single) This track also appeared on both the original vinyl LP & cassette of the album in '85. I feel this version should still be listed in the database, although I'm not quite sure how I'd label it. "Version II"??? "Secondary LP version"??? "Rock version"???

The third version is track 8, listed as "Sun City (The Last Remix)". It's also shown as a "*Bonus Track" on Razor & Tie 2007, and that's because this one WASN'T included on the original vinyl LP or cassette of the album in '85. However, it IS from that time, as it was released here in the U.S. in 1985 on a commercial 12" single (Manhattan V-56013), where it was indeed shown as "(Last Remix)" on the label, w/ a printed time of "9:37", and came complete w/ a picture jacket. (The B-side was the non-album track, "Not So Far Away [Dub Version]".) Photos on Discogs: "Sun City" (U.S. commercial 12" single) (Again, I don't own this 12" myself.) I feel this version should also be shown in the database, w/ "commercial 12" version" probably being the best descriptor...

anthology123 wrote:
Is there a single version on CD anywhere...?

There IS, actually! Seems back in 1996, EMI (France) re-issued their own numbered, limited edition of the Sun City album, apparently over in Italy. (Don't know just how many were pressed, though.) And in addition to the commercial U.S. 12" version (i.e., "The Last Remix"), it ALSO included two more bonus tracks: yep, the U.S. 45 version, and the non-album B-side of the U.S. 45, "Not So Far Away (Dub Version)". (Now why couldn't Razor & Tie have done the same in '93?!?) Photos on Discogs: "Sun City" (import CD w/ 45 version) I've never seen that particular CD, though I'm sure it goes for even bigger $$$ than the Razor & Tie version - and of course, because it's an import, it won't ever be found in Pat's database...

Edited by 80smusicfreak on 26 August 2014 at 2:14am
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version