Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: barbra streisand sweet inspiration where Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 10 March 2013 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

although not in the db because of it's low peak billboard
chart position of number 37 in 1972, my commercial 45 for
the barbra streisand song 'sweet inspiration/where you
lead' medley issued as columbia 45626 states the run time
on the label as 6:02 but actually runs 6:03.....using the
greatest vol 2 cd as the source in order to recreate the
vinyl 45 version.....first you'll need to pitch the cd
version down to approx 99.2 bpm's, as the cd version runs
fast.....then you'll need to edit off the first 0:05 of
crowd applause starting the song at the 0:06 mark on the
gh cd.....then you'll need to do a quick fade for 0:04
from the mark 5:59 to 6:03 mark.....

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 August 2014 at 8:38am | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

Perhaps there was a promo 45 with a dj edit for this medley
back in the summer of '72. I would think to get some
airplay the six minute commercial 45 might not cut it then.

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 August 2014 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Santi Paradoa wrote:
Perhaps there was a promo 45 with a dj edit for this medley
back in the summer of '72. I would think to get some
airplay the six minute commercial 45 might not cut it then.

Well, a cursory check on eBay reveals that there were at least TWO different stereo/mono white-label promos issued for Columbia 45626 here in the U.S.:

Version 1 has a printed time of "6:02" on both sides; mono side matrix no. is "JZSP 156130", while the stereo side matrix no. is "JZSS 156131" (in the photo, you can see that the original dj that received this copy back in '72 affixed a sticker to the mono side, stating "5:59 / :08 FADE", should that mean anything). And...

Version 2 also has a printed time of "6:02" on both sides; both labels also state "RESERVICE" and "SPECIAL PROGRAMMING SPIRAL" (perhaps one of our former dj's here could kindly explain just what exactly the latter means???); mono side matrix no. is now "JZSP 156142", while the stereo side matrix no. is now "JZSS 156143"; label font also differs from Version 1 on this...

So it seems the printed times on the promos didn't differ from the commercial copies, anyway (don't know about the ACTUAL timings)...
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 August 2014 at 1:01pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

80smusicfreak wrote:
"SPECIAL PROGRAMMING SPIRAL" (perhaps one of our former dj's here could kindly explain just what exactly the latter means???

That means it's been banded (which is the more common promo term.) The reservice was done after Columbia received feedback from some programmers that they'd rather skip the slow intro and start the record cold where Babs starts singing "Wanting you the way I do" on "Where You Lead." The band made it both easier and faster for DJs to cue it up at that spot by providing a visual point of reference on the playing surface.

The original DJ 45 shown on eBay is a Terre Haute styrene pressing; the banded reservice copy is a Santa Maria vinyl pressing. You can easily see the band/spiral on the eBay photo of the latter pressing.

Similarly, specially-banded promo LPs were often a godsend on the air. One was ELO's Face The Music, which edited out all the weird stuff between each song that was included on commercial copies.

Another was "Babbacombe" Lee, Fairport Convention's 1972 concept album on A&M. Commercial copies contained long narratives between the actual songs, with the banding configured as three unnumbered tracks on side one and two on the second side. Trying to cue up individual songs - which weren't even titled on either the label or the jacket - was a lesson in frustration.

The A&M DJ LP had a large "this album has been banded for radio play" sticker on the cover. Intended expressly for airplay, it cut out all of the narration, leaving only the songs themselves, five to a side. Each song on the promo record was individually banded and titled. Due to the lack of any actual song titles on the original concept LP, the act of separating them for airplay led to some initial confusion: the title of the lead-off single, "The World Has Surely Lost Its Head" was taken from the opening line of the song whose title had morphed into "Breakfast In Mayfair" by the time the banded promo LP was released. When the album was finally issued on CD by Island, several more of those tentative A&M titles had also changed.

The most extreme example of a banded record in my collection is a seven-inch promo 45 (Fantasy 2876/2877) by the Congress Of Wonders, a comedy duo. The promo 45 ("Radio Phil" b/w "The Nudes") consists of snippets of faux ads and news bits edited from the similarly-titled tracks on the Revolting LP. Listed times on the respective 45 sides are 5:41 and 3:59. There are fourteen (!) individually-banded tracks on each side. Try cueing up one of those without a magnifying glass, and without having to count up from cut one without having to start over again at least once. :)

Edited by Yah Shure on 10 August 2014 at 1:56pm
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 August 2014 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Ah, thanks for the very helpful lesson in the lingo, Yah Shure! While I'd never seen or heard the term "special programming spiral" before, I HAVE seen some promo LPs in the past that were labeled/stickered as "banded" for radio play, but as I've never worked in radio, I never completely understood just what that meant - until now. :-) Yes, now that you mention it, I CAN see the banding in the photo of the "reservice" copy - which I see has now been sold since my previous post, lol...

Thanks also for the details on the pressing origins of the two copies that I linked to on eBay; I also noticed this pressing of the original (non-reservice) promo that has a label font that matches the reservice copy that you state is a Santa Maria vinyl pressing... :-)

So I assume this discovery answers Santi Paradoa's original question - guess we just now need to know what the actual timing of the reservice promo 45 is when the intro is skipped???
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 August 2014 at 5:35pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

80smusicfreak wrote:
I also noticed this pressing of the original (non-reservice) promo that has a label font that matches the reservice copy that you state is a Santa Maria vinyl pressing.

This third copy is actually a styrene Pitman pressing. The banded vinyl Santa Maria reservice 45 happens to use label copy which was typeset at the Pitman plant. This sometimes occurred at the other two plants when song titles were on the longish side, as Pitman's more tightly-condensed title fonts were a sharper, crisper fit.

How can one tell the difference between Columbia's vinyl and styrene 45s in those photos? The paper label area on the vinyl pressing is more finely-contoured than its comparatively flat counterparts on the two styrene copies. Look at the label's inner ring surrounding the center hole. Notice how it's thinner there than most of the rest of the label? Likewise, the outer edge of the label has a rounded, contoured appearance where it meets up with the black vinyl playing surface. The same outer edges on the styrenes are as flat as Fargo.

Linda Ronstadt's banded promo 45 of "You're No Good" worked in reverse: the band appeared at the point separating the final "you're no good" refrain from the instrumental coda that followed it. The label even included timing info for an optional earlier (and cold) ending:

Intro - :09
Fade - 1:07
Song - 2:28
Total - 3:35

The banding on both the mono and stereo sides is the reason for their "PRO-" and "SPRO" matrix number, neither of which is the same as that found on the non-banded commercial 45.

Edited by Yah Shure on 10 August 2014 at 5:58pm
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 August 2014 at 4:45am | IP Logged Quote Paul C

Thanks for that interesting info, Yah Shure. I grew up in The Netherlands, and the Dutch word for "track" (of an album) is "band" (pronounced "bunt"), but I didn't know it was an English term as well.
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 August 2014 at 4:39am | IP Logged Quote jimct

The promo 45 with the "Special Programming Spiral" is exactly the same
length/version as the un-banded stock and promo 45s were. The point in
the song where the band occurs is at the 0:59 second mark, after her
opening slow vocal segment ends with "my......way....", and just before the
start of her more uptempo, "wanting you the way I do" vocal verse. I actually
do think this suggested, alternate starting point sounds much better, and
would've been my programming choice, were I in radio back in 1972.....
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version