Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Picture sleeves Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
rnell
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 05 March 2013 at 8:29am | IP Logged Quote rnell

Does anybody know if there is any accurate source for a list of all Top 40 45s that have been commercially issued with a picture sleeve (or available in promos)? Following information in Joel Whitburn books, I´ve been searching for some picture sleeves through Ebay for some time now which I have never seen for sale (for example Osmonds' One bad apple or Cat Stevens' Two fine people).

Back to Top View rnell's Profile Search for other posts by rnell

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 March 2013 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

"One Bad Apple" must be an error in the book, but there definitely was a US picture sleeve for "Two Fine People" -- Whitburn shows a photo of it on his Music Vault website. (Which I can't post because it's pay-only.) It must be rare, though -- I am unable to find another photo of it on the Internet.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 March 2013 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Brian W. wrote:
It must be rare, though -- I am unable to find another photo of it on the Internet.

It could be that the "Two Fine People" picture sleeve surfaced at only one plant during the latter stages of the single's pressing run. Both of the promo copies I received came in standard factory sleeves.
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 March 2013 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

The "One Bad Apple" PS does exist. It credits the group as The Osmond Brothers. We put it on a disc of rare picture sleeves several years ago.
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 March 2013 at 8:08am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Paul Haney wrote:
The "One Bad Apple" PS does exist. It credits the group as The Osmond Brothers. We put it on a disc of rare picture sleeves several years ago.

Mm... I was just assuming because it's not shown in the Record Research MusicVault.

Another uber-rare one is the P/S for "Holly Jolly Christmas" by Burl Ives. Not sure if that was promotional-only or what.

rnell
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 March 2013 at 11:00am | IP Logged Quote rnell

As a source I have used a book by Charles Szabla (45rpm picture sleeve price guide)together with Joel Whitburn´s Top pop singles book. The former doesn't list picture sleeves such as Eddie Money's "Take me home tonight", Paul Simon's "Gone at last" or Supertramp's "Bloody well right". I wonder if there is another book (or webpage) on this subject.
Back to Top View rnell's Profile Search for other posts by rnell

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 March 2013 at 3:50pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

Brian W. wrote:
Paul Haney wrote:

Mm... I was just assuming because it's not shown in the Record Research MusicVault.

Another uber-rare one is the P/S for "Holly Jolly Christmas" by Burl Ives. Not sure if that was promotional-only or what.

I just realized that we actually have a picture of the "One Bad Apple" sleeve on page 672 of our latest Top Pop Singles book!

torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 March 2013 at 3:37pm | IP Logged Quote torcan

rnell wrote:
As a source I have used a book by Charles Szabla (45rpm picture sleeve price guide)together with Joel Whitburn´s Top pop singles book. The former doesn't list picture sleeves such as Eddie Money's "Take me home tonight", Paul Simon's "Gone at last" or Supertramp's "Bloody well right". I wonder if there is another book (or webpage) on this subject.

I have Szabla's book too - a while it's great, there's a lot of stuff missing from it. I'd love to see an updated webpage or something from somewhere. I believe that Szabla wanted to produce a second edition of his book, but I heard the publishing company wasn't interested.

Is every sleeve that charted on the Hot 100 shown in the Record Research vault? The reason I ask is because there are a number of sleeves I've been on the hunt for forever, and I'm wondering if they actually exist. If they do, I'd at least like to see what they look like:

stuff like:
Alarm "Sold Me Down the River"
Marty Balin "What Love Is"
Carpenters "Sweet Sweet Smile"
Donnie Iris "Injured in the Game of Love"
Police "Walking on the Moon" (1986 version)
Kenny Rogers "Christmas in America"

Anyone have any info on the above? Do all of those sleeves actually exist? I'd love to track down copies...

Edited by torcan on 07 March 2013 at 3:38pm
Back to Top View torcan's Profile Search for other posts by torcan

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 March 2013 at 5:59am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

Ian, of those sleeves that you mentioned above, I see pictures for 3 of them in the Music Vault (Alarm, Carpenters & Donnie Iris). Not every sleeve was photographed for the Music Vault, but the majority of them were. If we list it in the book, then we have a copy of it in our collection. IMO, our Top Pop Singles book is the single best source for finding out if a chart hit came with a picture sleeve. Some of them a quite scarce and finding a copy can take years.

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 March 2013 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

torcan wrote:
rnell wrote:

I have Szabla's book too - a while it's great, there's a lot of stuff missing from it. I'd love to see an updated webpage or something from somewhere. I believe that Szabla wanted to produce a second edition of his book, but I heard the publishing company wasn't interested.

Is every sleeve that charted on the Hot 100 shown in the Record Research vault? The reason I ask is because there are a number of sleeves I've been on the hunt for forever, and I'm wondering if they actually exist. If they do, I'd at least like to see what they look like:

stuff like:
Alarm "Sold Me Down the River"
Marty Balin "What Love Is"
Carpenters "Sweet Sweet Smile"
Donnie Iris "Injured in the Game of Love"
Police "Walking on the Moon" (1986 version)
Kenny Rogers "Christmas in America"

Anyone have any info on the above? Do all of those sleeves actually exist? I'd love to track down copies...

Since I've never been a huge fan of vinyl, I haven't actually bought Charles Szabla's book myself, but have flipped through it several times in the past when I've run across it in book stores; more than once I've contemplated adding it to my large library of music books, though. Then in October of 2011, I bought an old 45 on eBay, and the seller turned out to be Szabla himself; his user i.d. there is (what else???) "picturesleeves". (Ironically, the 45 I bought from him was never issued with a p/s, lol.) Got the record from him quick, and was quite happy w/ it. So if you're also on eBay, you can contact him directly through there re: what's missing from his book and whether or not he plans a new edition down the road...

I'm actually a huge Donnie Iris fan; he's one of the few artists that I also collect on vinyl. Don't have the "Injured..." 45 with a p/s, but have seen it on eBay a few times over the last decade. Commercial/stock copies of that single's follow-up, "State of the Heart" (which didn't come with a p/s) are just as rare; there's actually one on eBay right now (first one I've seen in years); picked up a copy myself about 12 years ago. Also, be sure to track down his first single, 1979's "Bring on the Eighties"/"Because of You" (on the indie Midwest National label), as neither ever appeared on any of his albums. Oh, and can someone please tell me why the fabulous "Do You Compute?" wasn't at least a top 40 hit?!? :-)
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 March 2013 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

www.45cat.com shows the US picture sleeve, rnell. It's a great resource. (They don't have either of the first two sleeves you listed in the thread, though.)

http://www.45cat.com/record/2008s

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version