Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: cheri "murphy’s law" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 13 February 2006 at 11:39am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

has anyone tried to re-create the 45 version from the cd version on "billboard top dance hits 1982"........i have the cd "best disco in town" and it's not the same.......

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 May 2008 at 7:00pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Pat:

According to the AllMusic website, Cheri's "Murphy's Law" is listed as a track on the various artist CD Old School, Volume 5 (Thump 4050) with a run time of 3:55. Although this CD appears in the Top 40 Music on Compact Disc database, "Murphy's Law" does not come up when performing an engine search for the disc.

So is "Murphy's Law" on the CD? If so, is it the 45 version?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 May 2008 at 7:36pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The 45 version runs (3:53), so that Thump compilation might have the correct version. I have a few of their CDs in the Old School series, and I've been pretty happy about the sound quality. There are only a couple tracks here and there that have been dubbed from vinyl (presumably because the master could not be obtained). Even tracks that have never been on any other CD (to my knowledge) have appeared from tape source on some Thump compilations.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 May 2008 at 7:37pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

edtop40 wrote:
has anyone tried to re-create the 45 version from the cd version on "billboard top dance hits 1982"........i have the cd "best disco in town" and it's not the same.......

I've never tried to create the 45 version from that Rhino CD, because they mastered the song from vinyl, and the sound quality isn't the best.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 May 2008 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I had planned to purchase the Billboard Top Dance Hits 1982 CD sometime this spring specifically for the LP version of "Murphy's Law", but I didn't realize the song is mastered from vinyl on that disc. That's disappointing, but thanks for the heads-up, Aaron.

So does anyone know if the LP version exists anywhere on CD from a master tape source? I guess I'd be taking double my chances purchasing the Old School, Vol. 5 CD not knowing for sure if it's the correct 45 version or from a tape source.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 May 2008 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

No problem, Todd. They did a decent job of removing the clicks and noise, but their click remover also did some injustice to the drum hits. They sound "rolled off" for lack of a better explanation.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 May 2008 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I see Pat has updated the database with information regarding "Murphy's Law" and unfortunately it looks like the search will continue for what we're looking for on CD.

Pat, one more thing regarding the Old School, Vol. 5 CD. When performing a database search for this CD, the results indicate that Vanilla Ice's "Ice Ice Baby" and Tone Loc's "Funky Cold Medina" are on this disc. But according to the AllMusic website, these tracks are not listed on this CD. So which is correct?

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 May 2008 at 6:59am | IP Logged Quote abagon

Although I searched in the Japanese web site. There is not the CD of "Murphy's Law". And I looked for the UK import CD, but the track is indicated "Remix". I tried to edit the track from the "Best Disco In Town" CD, however it was impossible to re-create as the 45 version.

Edited by abagon on 26 May 2008 at 8:34am
Back to Top View abagon's Profile Search for other posts by abagon

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 27 May 2008 at 11:06pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Todd, the answer is no, "Ice Ice Baby" and "Funky Cold Medina" are not on Old School Volume 5, they are on Old School Rap Volume 4.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 June 2008 at 6:31pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Todd Ireland wrote:
I had planned to purchase the Billboard Top Dance Hits 1982 CD sometime this spring specifically for the LP version of "Murphy's Law", but I didn't realize the song is mastered from vinyl on that disc. That's disappointing, but thanks for the heads-up, Aaron.

So does anyone know if the LP version exists anywhere on CD from a master tape source?

Sorry to be chiming in a bit late on this one. The 10th edition of Pat's book lists only three U.S. CDs that feature "Murphy's Law", and assuming the Thump CD is the only other title that has been added to the on-line database since, there is a fifth - which I have - and it's actually the best of the lot. It also appears on the V/A compilation from 1992 titled "New York Dance Classics, Volume One" (as shown on the front & back cover art; however, it's printed as "VOL 1" on the spines and as "VOLUME 1" on the disc itself, so take your pick), on NYC Records/Hot Productions HTCD 9730-2. Printed time for "Murphy's Law" is "6:40", but the actual time is (6:37). Nevertheless, this still exceeds the length of the LP version on the Rhino CD by :02, and the "neither" version on the other title from Hot Productions by 1:05. As for the source of the recording, to my admittedly somewhat untrained ears, if this one was taken from vinyl like on the Rhino CD, they did a very good job w/ it, IMO. There are no other top 40 pop hits on the CD, and there were two other volumes in the "New York Dance Classics" series (all three are now out-of-print, BTW). Oh, and if you're picky about such things, unless you can track down a first pressing of this particular CD, the disc itself will actually be a CD-R, as were all titles from Hot Productions after they ran into financial problems in the mid to late '90s...

Also, in 1994, Canada's Unidisc label issued a Cheri CD titled "Murphy's Law", which is actually a compilation of tracks from their first two albums. It features a "remix" of the title track, as well as an instrumental version. (I realize this still isn't any help to those seeking the "45 version", though.) That CD is still in print, and currently on my "wish list"... :-)
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 June 2008 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I'm cautious about purchasing anymore product from the Hot Productions label because they've been known to sometimes master their CDs from dubious sources and/or use incorrect song versions. And it doesn't help not knowing in advance if you're getting a standard silver glass master factory pressed CD or a CD-R (the latter of course is made from inferior materials compared to their factory pressed counterparts).

Edited by Todd Ireland on 23 June 2008 at 8:01am

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 March 2023 at 9:12pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I got to hear the lone Cheri CD in existence - a CD called Murphy's Law, released in 1993 in Canada as Unidisc SPLK-7087. I was not impressed.

Track 1, titled "Murphy's Law (Remix)", is a pretty severe remix, with added prominent keyboard lines over everything, and an entirely redone lead vocal.

Track 14, titled "Murphy's Law (Instrumental)", is the LP version minus the lead vocals. It's taken from a clean tape source (yay!) with an ungodly amount of noise reduction added (boo!). In a side-by-side comparison with the Rhino disc, you can tell immediately that the Rhino disc is from vinyl (turntable rumble on intro, some surface noise in right channel about 9 seconds in), and that the Unidisc disc has all the life sucked out of it (no reverb or presence at all in the opening drum hits).

The only other song on this CD that I knew (titled "Give It To Me" on the Unidisc CD but "Give It To Me Baby" on the Venture 12" that I own) also has new lead vocals.

Although Cheri was a duo, the Unidisc CD has a picture of only Rosalind Hunt on the front artwork, the back artwork, and the CD. There's no mention of the other half of the duo (initially Lyn Cullerier, later replaced by Amy Roslyn).

If I had to guess, I'd say that Unidisc didn't have the rights to the original vocals (Rosalind Hunt and duo partner), so they recut the lead vocals (just Rosalind Hunt) on everything, and pictured just Rosalind Hunt on the artwork.

Just a hunch.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 01 March 2023 at 9:13pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version