Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Everly Brothers - Bye Bye Love Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 13 September 2012 at 9:10pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

"Bye Bye Love" on Rhino's "Jukebox Classics Volume 1" has quite a bit of stereo reverb added to the track. This should probably be noted in the database.

Also, several CDs with this track run slower than others (by about 1%). It's enough to make the speed difference noticeable to my ears.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 November 2013 at 6:04pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial 45 for the everly brothers song 'bye bye
love' issued as the A-side of cadence 1315 lists the run
time on the label as 2:17 but actually runs 2:22......the
fade out is very faint...my guess the 2:17 running versions
dump the song early.....and, you are correct aaron, the
vinyl 45 is pitched up versus the cdr version i
have....this vinyl 45 run time info s/b added to the db...

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 November 2013 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

The Cadence 1315 45 actually ends cold, if you listen to the very faint strains right to the very end. There's a little electric guitar part, capped off with a two-note flourish at the tail end.

The 45 is pitched faster than the track on The Everly Brothers LP (Cadence 3003), which runs 2:21, but fades out just before the two-note flourish (as it also does on the Cadence Gold 1609 reissue 45.)

Slower still is the track from the LP's companion EP 45, The Everly Brothers (Cadence CEP-104). The actual time is 2:22, but the track fades out at the end of the last "goodbye," with no extra electric guitar ending at all.

The Cadence 1315 45 is the only source I've ever encountered that leaves the two-note guitar flourish at the end intact. The Rhino Jukebox Classics Vol. 1 CD Aaron mentioned comes the closest I've heard on CD, but even that fades out before it gets to the two-note final sendoff. Surprisingly, the fadeout begins - and ends - prematurely on the Bear Family Classic Everly Brothers 3-CD import box set, perhaps in an effort to avoid the abrupt drop-off during the fade altogether.
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 November 2013 at 3:32am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Yah Shure wrote:
The Cadence 1315 45 actually ends cold, if you listen to the very faint strains right to the very end. There's a little electric guitar part, capped off with a two-note flourish at the tail end.

The 45 is pitched faster than the track on The Everly Brothers LP (Cadence 3003), which runs 2:21, but fades out just before the two-note flourish (as it also does on the Cadence Gold 1609 reissue 45.)

Slower still is the track from the LP's companion EP 45, The Everly Brothers (Cadence CEP-104). The actual time is 2:22, but the track fades out at the end of the last "goodbye," with no extra electric guitar ending at all.

The Cadence 1315 45 is the only source I've ever encountered that leaves the two-note guitar flourish at the end intact. The Rhino Jukebox Classics Vol. 1 CD Aaron mentioned comes the closest I've heard on CD, but even that fades out before it gets to the two-note final sendoff. Surprisingly, the fadeout begins - and ends - prematurely on the Bear Family Classic Everly Brothers 3-CD import box set, perhaps in an effort to avoid the abrupt drop-off during the fade altogether.

The Steve Hoffman-mastered DCC GOld of their "Best" ends cold at 2:20, but I don't know that I'd call it a "flourish." You get one final, very faint, "Good-bye, my love, good-by--," then it's like the tape just cuts off, but there's still lots of hiss, so I know Hoffman didn't cut the tape off early. He didn't do "blackouts" on any of the songs on that disc. But I don't hear any final two notes solo with no singing.

Edited by Brian W. on 09 November 2013 at 3:35am
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 November 2013 at 12:22pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Brian W. wrote:
But I don't hear any final two notes solo with no singing.

There's that point at 2:16 on the Cadence 45 where the level of the fade suddenly plummets right after the fourth "bye bye my love, goodbye" (and just prior to the fifth, very faintly-sung one.) Once it plummets, the level - while ridiculously low - does remain constant for the duration of the 2:22-length 45. It's immediately after the end of that fifth, faintly-sung line that the electric guitar part comes in and runs for the remaining 2.7 seconds of the 45. Because there's no further fading, if your ears can detect that fifth sung line on a clean copy of the Cadence 45, you shouldn't have any trouble hearing the guitar part which follows it, even over the inherent surface noise of the vinyl or styrene. Remember those barely-audible last two chimes at the tail end the "Crimson & Clover" vinyl 45? Same deal.

OTOH, the Rhino Jukebox Classics Vol. 1 CD has so much hiss on the portion of the guitar part that is present (before it fades out early) that it substantially obscures it.
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version