Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Corey Hart - Sunglasses At Night Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 11 September 2012 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Not a whole lot of valuable information to share about this song, just the little curiosities I found from comparing the 14 CD versions I have.

First, the LP version, which runs 5:16 on EMI's The Singles (1992), and runs at 127.7 BPM throughout. Unfortunately, a little bit of the opening drumbeat is cut off on this version. Too bad, because it otherwise sounds pretty good here. (I don't have First Offense to compare.) All the LP versions I have on CD use the same analog transfer as The Singles, and all have the same truncated opening note:
  • Sony Germany's 2-CD Pop And Wave Vol. 5 (1994)
  • Simitar's Number Ones The '80s (1998; differently EQ'd digital clone)
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Modern Rock Vol. 3 1984-1985 (1999; digitally exactly 0.4 dB louder)
For the proper 45 version, I found just three unique analog transfers.

The first one to appear on CD was on Razor & Tie's 2-CD Totally '80s (1993), where it runs 127.6 BPM throughout. It sounds just fine here.

The next one is on EMI's Living In Oblivion Vol. 3 (1994), where it runs 127.5 BPM throughout. Sound is comparable to Totally '80s. Other CDs that use the same analog transfer as Living In Oblivion are:
  • Time-Life's Sounds Of The Eighties Vol. 11 1983-1984 (1995; differently EQ'd digital clone)
  • Madacy's Rock On 1984 (1996; digitally exactly 1.3 dB louder)
  • Madacy's Rock On 1984 Sunglasses At Night (1998; digitally exactly same level - includes dithering noise even though no level or EQ change)
Finally, Bill Inglot did a fresh analog transfer for Rhino's Just Can't Get Enough Vol. 14 (1995), where it runs at 127.9 BPM throughout. Discs that use the same analog transfer are:
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Modern Rock Vol. 21 Club '80s (2001; differently EQ'd digital clone)
  • Rhino's 7-CD Like Omigod (2002; a little too loud here)
Out of the above CDs, I prefer the sound on Just Can't Get Enough Vol. 14, which sounds to my ears like it's from a slightly lower-generation source tape than the others. None sound bad, and I wouldn't actively avoid any of them.

Finally, there are some stragglers, which I actively would avoid:

Swaitek's 50-CD promo set The A-List uses an incorrect edit of the LP version in attempt to recreate the 45. I suspect that this edit was done in-house at TM Century. No noise reduction, though, so that's good.

EMI Australia's 5-CD Eighties Complete Vol. 1 (1997) fades a few seconds earlier than the others and seems to have noise reduction. Very odd to hear NR on an actual EMI collection, but apparently they couldn't get decent source tapes from Canada to Australia for this track.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 12 September 2012 at 10:10am

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Online
Posted: 11 September 2012 at 9:00pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Good info, as always; thank you!

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 September 2012 at 9:37pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Seconded. These analyses of yours really are invaluable, Crap.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 September 2012 at 1:11pm | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

I concur. Thank you crapfromthepast for sharing this information with us. :)
Back to Top View Underground Dub's Profile Search for other posts by Underground Dub

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 September 2012 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

I agree these posts are extremely helpful. Thanks Ron.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 September 2012 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

You're very welcome. I'm just thankful that this forum
exists, so we all have a place to share what we know.

995wlol
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 September 2012 at 6:24pm | IP Logged Quote 995wlol

Opening drumbeat of the LP version is also truncated on my original US EMI CD of "First Offense".
Back to Top View 995wlol's Profile Search for other posts by 995wlol

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 September 2012 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

995wlol wrote:
Opening drumbeat of the LP version is also truncated on my original US EMI CD of "First Offense".

Interesting... I'm wondering if the truncated portion of the opening note might possibly be embedded in the negative track indexing leading up to the starting point of the "Sunglasses at Night" track on the First Offense CD? In other words, the complete opening note wouldn't be heard unless you're listening to the end of the previous track and then allowing the CD to continue playing through to the point where the "Sunglasses at Night" track begins. Could you please check your copy, 995wlol, and see if this is the case?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

995wlol
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 October 2012 at 2:33pm | IP Logged Quote 995wlol

Todd Ireland wrote:
I'm wondering if the truncated portion of the opening note might possibly be embedded in the negative track indexing leading up to the starting point?

I finally was able to check this in EAC and, yes, Todd is correct. For some reason the table of contents begins track 1 at exactly 1 second. In fact, indexing is off by this amount on every track, which means many songs have truncated beginnings with a fraction of a second of the following song at the end of the track. I had to re-rip my copy of First Offense after accounting for the index errors.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 October 2012 at 10:19pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Wow! So evidently many of the LP version appearances of "Sunglasses at Night" on CD were taken, either directly or indirectly, from the incorrectly indexed First Offense CD and are therefore missing the opening bass drum hit. Thanks for confirming, 995wlol!
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

995wlol
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 October 2012 at 9:44am | IP Logged Quote 995wlol

I should have also noted that I own the LP version of "Sunglasses at Night" on "The Greatest Hits Of The 80's, Volume 6." The intro is indeed intact on this disc.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version