Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: romantics "one in a million" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 10 February 2006 at 5:43pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

pat

you might want to make an revision to you entry for the
above song

the 45 is a remix and runs 3:40 even though it states
3:14 on the label

the 45 says "mixed by john "jellybean" benitez"

the 45 and the cd version from "what i like about you
(and other romantic hits)" are very different

edtop40

Edited by edtop40 on 07 January 2015 at 5:22am

Jeff H.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 February 2006 at 1:41am | IP Logged Quote Jeff H.

edtop40 wrote:
pat

you might want to make an revision to you entry for the above song

the 45 is a remix and runs 3:14

the 45 and the cd version from "what i like about you (and other romantic hits)" are very different

edtop40

Sounds like the 45 you have is an edit of the dance mix done by Jellybean which IIRC runs 5:28 in its entirety. The "In Heat" album has the original mix.
Back to Top View Jeff H.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jeff H.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 February 2006 at 9:56am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

what does "IIRC" mean???

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 February 2006 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

edtop40 wrote:
what does "IIRC" mean???

If I remember correctly
Back to Top View Roscoe's Profile Search for other posts by Roscoe

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 February 2006 at 5:44pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

does the dance mix appear anywhere on cd???

Jeff H.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 February 2006 at 8:45pm | IP Logged Quote Jeff H.

edtop40 wrote:
does the dance mix appear anywhere on cd???

Not that I know of.
Back to Top View Jeff H.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jeff H.

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 January 2015 at 5:17am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

edtop40 wrote:
pat

you might want to make an revision to you entry for the above song

the 45 is a remix and runs 3:14

the 45 and the cd version from "what i like about you (and other romantic hits)" are very different

edtop40

abagon wrote:
ROMANTICS - "One In a Million"

The acutial commercial 45 running time is (3:40), the listed time is "3:14" on the record label. (Nemperor ZS4 04373)

Along w/ using the descriptor "(LP version)" for all eight of this song's appearances on CD to date, Pat currently states in the db:

1984 ONE IN A MILLION (the actual 45 running time is (3:40) not (3:14) as stated on the record label)

Okay, I'm a little confused here. At the beginning of this thread, edtop40 implies that his 45 of "One in a Million" has an actual time of (3:14). Meanwhile, over in another thread that he later started for this same song here, abagon reported that his 45 has an actual time of (3:40). However, there doesn't seem to be any dispute that the 45 version was a remix, and thus differs from the LP version...

This begs the following:

1) Are there truly two different commercial pressings of this 45 w/ actual run times of (3:14) & (3:40), or back in '06 did edtop40 simply report the printed time on his copy by mistake???

2) If the (3:14) run time is a mistake, and all commercial copies actually run (3:40) (as Pat currently indicates in his db notes), then that would make the 45 identical in length to the version found on its original 1983 parent album, In Heat. Now please correct me if I'm wrong, but in the case of 45 & LP versions being identical in length yet different mixes, doesn't Pat normally use the terms "(45 mix)" or "(LP mix)" for the CD descriptors??? Yet as I noted above, he uses the term "(LP version)" for all CD appearances of this song instead. And...

3) Again, if the (3:14) run time on commercial copies is a mistake, then where might that timing come from??? Could it be the length of a dj edit that appeared on the white-label promo, which Nemperor/CBS transferred as a printed time to the stock copies by mistake??? Does anybody here have a white-label promo of Nemperor 04373, who can double check??? There aren't currently any photos of the white-label promo for "One in a Million" on either Discogs or 45cat, but a check on eBay shows at least three copies currently up for grabs, w/ this one being the cheapest, as well as having the best photo: THE ROMANTICS - "One in a Million" (U.S. promo 45) Note that it has a printed time of "3:14" as well - accurate??? Perhaps the (3:40) commercial version is on the flip side (alas, none of the eBay sellers show photos of BOTH sides of the promo 45)???
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 January 2015 at 9:10am | IP Logged Quote Paul C

My U.S. commercial 45 states a time of (3:14) but actually runs (3:40). Both the label and the picture cover claim "Mixed by John "JELLYBEAN" Benitez". I"ve made only a casual comparison between my 45 and a download I purchased a number of years ago (Unfortunately, I've lost track of which album the download is from, but I believe it was Super Hits). Between the download and my 45, there are differences in the positioning of the instruments within the stereo spectrum, but I do not detect any vocals or instrumentation in one that is not present in the other.

Ed states that his 45 runs (3:14) and is very different than the LP version; so it would appear that there are two different 45s (one very different than the LP version and one that is only different depending on one's definition of the word "mix") but that all have the same label.

The matrix of my 45 is "AA ZS4 04373-3". The final '3' suggests to me that this is not the first pressing.
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 January 2015 at 12:10pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Here is what I can clarify regarding "One In A Million". My timing comes from my white label dj 45 with the same matrix number as reported above by Paul. The label states (3:14) (on both sides) and runs (3:40) (on both sides) and in my opinion there are significant differences such as echo on the drums and I believe different instrumentation in places between the 45 and LP "In Heat" to warrant a "version" comment versus "mix". The only remaining question is were there two different pressings of the 45 such that one pressing actually did run (3:14).
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 January 2015 at 5:21am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

i just went back and re-timed my commercial 45 issued
nemperor 04373 and though it lists a run time on the label
as 3:14 it clearly runs 3:40.....i don't know why my
original post from 2006 says other wise....but i will
correct it...

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 January 2015 at 6:07am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Thanks for the additional info, Paul C, Pat, and edtop40. I'm now convinced there was only one 45 version - running (3:40) - and it looks like all of my other questions have been answered as well. Thanks for taking the time, guys!
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version