Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Now vs Now Millennium Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Fetta
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 19 August 2012 at 7:37am | IP Logged Quote Fetta

I feel like this topic was discussed somewhere on the thread but can't seem to find it.

Are the versions on the Now import CD's the same as the versions on the Now Millennium series? If the 45 version of "Another Day in Paradise" is on the Now 1989, does that mean that the 45 version is also on the Now 1989 Millennium edition?

Back to Top View Fetta's Profile Search for other posts by Fetta

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 August 2012 at 9:08am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I don't recall where that is either, and since I was the one who posted it, I'll re-post here.

Now That's What I Call Music started as a series of LPs in the UK in 1983. The first volume to appear on CD was Now 4, which I've never seen with my own eyes, and I'm kinda skeptical that it's a legit CD release. (I could be wrong.) I myself have single-CD releases of Now That's What I Call Music '86 (1986) (featuring the only CD release I know of for Tears For Fears's "Everybody Wants To Run The World"), Now 8 (1986) and Now 9 (1987). From Vol. 10 onwards, they were double-CD releases.

When Now turned 10 years old in 1993, they released a series of 2-CD collections Now 1983, Now 1984, ..., Now 1993. These 2-CD sets are really phenomenal, with terrific sound quality overall - perfect EQ, and no excessive compression/limiting. Most, but not all, are the 45 versions. Since I wrote everything up last time, I've discovered that a sizable percentage of the tracks are digital clones of existing CDs or of the original Now CDs, which is interesting.

I've also discovered that there are many, many early fades on these discs. Some just speed up the fade by a few seconds, others fade as much as 30 seconds early.

If you can live with early fades, these discs are a godsend. I still highly recommend them, even with the early fades.

In 1999, Now released the The Millennium Series , with 2-CD sets from Now 1980 to Now 1999. These are entirely different beasts from the 1993 sets. I was not impressed with the sound overall, with a slightly brassy, aggressive EQ on most tracks, and a lot of clipping and/or excessive compression because most are mastered too loud. Track selection is similar to the 1993 releases but decidedly different. Both are representative of UK pop for the particular year, but I prefer the 1993 releases.

For the Millennium Series years I had (1980, 1981, 1982, 1988, 1989), I never did A/B comparisons with the 1993 releases, so I can't specifically answer if the versions were the same. I just wasn't impressed with the sound on the Millennium Series discs, so I avoided using them when I could.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 20 August 2012 at 7:18am

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 October 2022 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Regarding the early NOW albums on CD, I thought this website documenting "errors" (differences between LP ad CD) was pretty interesting.

https://apopfansdream.wordpress.com/words/now-cd-errors/

"The purpose of this page is to document the errors with Now That’s What I Call Music 1-9 CD releases.

While it’s great to see these early albums emerge on CD at last, the quality control has been slipshod with numerous mistakes.

It’s clear that the best time to do this would have been in late 1987 or early 1988 – just after Now 10 came out, the first one to have the same number of tracks on LP, cassette and CD.

While impossible to know for sure, these releases could have come in a chunky fatbox, there would have been few or no licensing issues & they probably would have exactly matched the originals."

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 October 2022 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

NightAire wrote:
Regarding the early NOW albums on CD, I thought this website documenting "errors" (differences between LP ad CD) was pretty interesting.

https://apopfansdream.wordpress.com/words/now-cd-errors/

"The purpose of this page is to document the errors with Now That’s What I Call Music 1-9 CD releases.

While it’s great to see these early albums emerge on CD at last, the quality control has been slipshod with numerous mistakes.

It’s clear that the best time to do this would have been in late 1987 or early 1988 – just after Now 10 came out, the first one to have the same number of tracks on LP, cassette and CD.

While impossible to know for sure, these releases could have come in a chunky fatbox, there would have been few or no licensing issues & they probably would have exactly matched the originals."

It was my understanding that certain releases on NOW 1-9 could not be cleared for licensing or specific versions on the old NOW 1-9 that were exclusive to that disc as well meaning they either were replaced or replaced with alternative versions as best licensing rights allowed....

Edited by PopArchivist on 03 October 2022 at 3:57pm

nlgbbbblth
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 November 2022 at 1:06am | IP Logged Quote nlgbbbblth

PopArchivist wrote:

It was my understanding that certain releases on NOW 1-9
could not be cleared for licensing or specific versions
on the old NOW 1-9 that were exclusive to that disc as
well meaning they either were replaced or replaced with
alternative versions as best licensing rights allowed....

That's my website.
For the CD releases, a number of tracks have been omitted
due to licensing issues. Either the price was too high or
else they were unavailable.

In terms of alternative versions, the majority of these
could be classified as avoidable errors caused by
sloppiness. Including the segued album versions of
Marillion's Kayleigh & Lavender on Now 5 and Now 6
respectively was probably the nadir. Almost every other
compilation uses the single mixes. That's just somebody
not paying attention. A lot of this is probably down to:
the Now Team requesting the track without specifying
which mix, the label providing the first version that
comes to hand and neither party knowing or caring enough
that it doesn't match the original LP.

The current Now Yearbook series while not perfect is
getting a lot more right. The 7" mix of David Sylvian's
Red Guitar (which appeared on the original Now 3 LP but
in album version guise on the CD) was correctly included
on Now Yearbook 1984.
Back to Top View nlgbbbblth's Profile Search for other posts by nlgbbbblth Visit nlgbbbblth's Homepage

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 November 2022 at 5:12am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

Thank you for your information and perspective!

Welcome aboard! I noticed you just signed on the forum.

Nlgbbbblth is a tricky to address moniker. How would you
prefer to be referred to?

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

nlgbbbblth
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 November 2022 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote nlgbbbblth

AndrewChouffi wrote:
Thank you for your information and
perspective!

Welcome aboard! I noticed you just signed on the forum.

Nlgbbbblth is a tricky to address moniker. How would you
prefer to be referred to?

Andy

Thanks Andy. nlgbbbblth is Analogue Bubblebath without
vowels and a misplaced b.
Happy to be addressed as Paul
Back to Top View nlgbbbblth's Profile Search for other posts by nlgbbbblth Visit nlgbbbblth's Homepage

nlgbbbblth
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 November 2022 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote nlgbbbblth

Just playing Now Yearbook 1985. Tracks like Marillion's Kayleigh, Brian Ferry's Slave To Love & Paul Young's Every Time You Go Away
which were wrong on the Now 5 CD (album versions whereas the original Now 5 LP used single mixes) are now correct on the Yearbook
release.

All it takes is a little more care & attention to detail.

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 November 2022 at 4:53pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

nlgbbbblth wrote:
Just playing Now Yearbook 1985. Tracks like Marillion's Kayleigh, Brian Ferry's Slave To Love & Paul Young's Every Time You Go Away
which were wrong on the Now 5 CD (album versions whereas the original Now 5 LP used single mixes) are now correct on the Yearbook
release.

All it takes is a little more care & attention to detail.

Paul Thanks for letting me know it came out!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version