Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: ta mara & the seen "everybody dance" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 08 February 2006 at 9:30pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

here is my review of ta mara & the seen's one top 40 hit

"everybody dance"..........the 45 version is the same as the only cd version available from "world of dance:the 80's".......the 45 version is the same if you edit the front 0:16 of jungle noise from the cd version and then fade out from the 3:53 mark to 4:04 on the cd........this will get you the 45 version which runs 3:48........

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 December 2007 at 11:23pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

My commercial has a listed time of (3:47), but an actual time of (3:50). Since Ed's copy runs (3:48), my deadwax is "A+M AM-02768A-RE-2-RCA2". Both sides of my promo 45 have a listed time of (4:02), but both have an actual time of (3:52). This version does, in fact, run slightly longer than the commercial 45, with deadwax of "A+M AM-02768A-RE-2-ES1".
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 August 2009 at 11:31am | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

Reviving this old thread, Allmusic and Amazon both indicate that "Everybody Dance" appears on the following CDs:

Radio Waves Of The ‘80s – Urban Hits   Universal Special Products B0001114

Old School Vol. 10 Thump 2065793382

I don't know if these contain the LP or the 45 version, but the database should be updated with this info, particularly since this song has been somewhat rare on CD.
Back to Top View Roscoe's Profile Search for other posts by Roscoe

Indy500
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 August 2009 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote Indy500

Was there ever a 12" version or remix of this song issued?
Back to Top View Indy500's Profile Search for other posts by Indy500

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 August 2009 at 1:56pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Good catch regarding the Radio Waves of the '80s - Urban Hits CD, Roscoe. The database has now been updated as to which version of "Everybody Dance" is on there.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 August 2009 at 4:08am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Yes there was a 12" on A&M - at least here in Canada. In fact it was the only release that I ever came across, and I suspect it is similar to the LP version. I have two copies, and they run at 45-rpm. They have a long ending though.

I can pull them out and go through the playing times.

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

Indy500
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 December 2010 at 9:05pm | IP Logged Quote Indy500

Reading a scan of the 12" release it is a 45 RPM with a listed time of 5:41, same as the lp version I would assume. I haven't listened to it in a while but I seem remember the source on "World of Dance:the 80's" sounded to be vinyl. I'll have to dig it out and listen again.

995wlol
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 December 2010 at 2:40pm | IP Logged Quote 995wlol

Indy500 wrote:
I seem remember the source on "World of Dance:the 80's" sounded to be vinyl. I'll have to dig it out and listen again.

I just listened to my copy of "World of Dance" and agree with Indy500 that "Everybody Dance" is sourced from vinyl. Thanks to Indy for pointing that out. Can anyone confirm if the the other two CDs sources with the 45 version are from a tape copy?
Back to Top View 995wlol's Profile Search for other posts by 995wlol

Indy500
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 December 2010 at 8:18pm | IP Logged Quote Indy500

Thanks for double checking for me. My house interior is being painted and NOTHING is where I can find it at the moment. I'd forgotten about this song, you'd think someone else would've slapped it on a comp by now from a cleaner source than World Of Dance used 15 years ago, but I guess not.

995wlol
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 March 2011 at 7:06am | IP Logged Quote 995wlol

Roscoe wrote:
Reviving this old thread, Allmusic and Amazon both indicate that "Everybody Dance" appears on the following CDs:

Radio Waves Of The ‘80s – Urban Hits   Universal Special Products B0001114

I picked up a used copy of the Radio Waves of the '80s CD and "Everybody Dance" does not have any vinyl artifacts to my ears. Also, I was afraid the CD would be ruined by heavy dynamic compression since it was from 2003. However, this does not appear to be the case, at least not for "Everbody Dance". Some of the other tracks appear to have been cloned from more compressed CD sources though.
Back to Top View 995wlol's Profile Search for other posts by 995wlol

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 March 2011 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Indy500 wrote:
I seem remember the source on "World of Dance:the 80's" sounded to be vinyl. I'll have to dig it out and listen again.

This shocks me sometimes. You'd think that a 1985 recording could easily be accessible from the master runs. I know we were still primarily half-track analog at the time, but these were still fairly modern times in terms of audio recording.

What also shocks me is that 1985 was a year that most new albums were being released on CD. So why would remastering even be necessary?

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 November 2011 at 7:09pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

A little confused about this song.

I have the commercial 45, A&M AM-2768, released 1985,
matrix number A+M AM-02768A-RE-2-RCA1, printed 4:02,
actual 3:52.

This version starts off with 16 seconds of jungle sounds,
with the instrumentation starting at 0:16. The fade runs
from 3:37 to 3:52.

FYI, it runs 119.2 BPM throughout, and there appears to
be an edit at 3:00.

I have a homemade version from Aaron that lacks the 16
seconds of jungle noise (and sounds great, might I add!)
If you put a 30-1/2-beat fade from the downbeat at 3:21
to right before the snare at 3:37 on Aaron's version,
then graft on the 16 seconds of jungle noise, you'll have
the version on my commercial 45.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

cmmmbase
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 November 2011 at 5:56am | IP Logged Quote cmmmbase

Ron -

my commercial 45 matches the description that Ed gave in the initial post - it doesn't have the 16 seconds of jungle noise and has a matrix number A&M-AM0-2768-A-RCA2 (this is different than your 45 and the 2 matrix numbers that Jim listed in an earlier post).
Back to Top View cmmmbase's Profile Search for other posts by cmmmbase

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 November 2011 at 5:31pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

So it looks like there are two different 45 versions of Ta Ma & the Seen's "Everybody Dance" (the run time info for Crap's stock copy has not yet been added to the database). I wonder which edit was featured on the promo 45?

Also, does anyone know if Ta Mara & the Seen's self-titled LP from 1985 (which contains "Everybody Dance") was ever issued as a CD release? As Jody points out, most new albums in 1985 were being issued on CD.

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 November 2011 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Jody Thornton wrote:
What also shocks me is that 1985 was a year that most new albums were being released on CD.

Todd Ireland wrote:
As Jody points out, most new albums in 1985 were being issued on CD.

When I first read Jody's above statement eight months ago, I remember shaking my head in disbelief, but decided not to comment. However, now that Todd is apparently backing him up, I find I can no longer stay silent on this. Generally speaking, I certainly consider the members of this board to be highly knowledgeable when it comes to music, but I have to admit, it sometimes amazes me how people who should know better seem to like to re-write history. In fact, I'm a little surprised that Paul Haney hasn't yet stepped in w/ something to say...

At any rate, I was 17 when 1985 began, and by that time, had been buying music in earnest for nearly two years. My collection was already up to about 300-400 pieces, and they were all albums. (No singles - unlike most people, I skipped them altogether when I first started buying, since I preferred cassettes over vinyl, and there simply weren't that many commercial singles or maxi-singles being issued on cassette back then; that wouldn't happen until the "big push" came in early 1987.) As I've also mentioned on this board in the past, I'd been buying "Billboard" magazine religiously on a weekly basis since early '83 (and still do to this day - more than 28 years!). In addition, by 1986, at the ripe old age of 18, I'd officially made the transition from mere teen music buyer to "collector" when I started buying "Goldmine" magazine religiously (not to mention venturing into mom-and-pop collector shops, and beginning to add used[!] and out-of-print titles to my collection). By '87, I'd begun purchasing the "Schwann" catalog on a semi-regular basis, as well as getting a job in music retail (Tower Records). So while I've never worked in radio (as many here have), all of these experiences kept me very much in tune w/ the music biz in the mid to late '80s, and beyond - not to mention it also gave me the knowledge and perspective of the music biz in ALL physical music formats, not just the very skewed two-dimensional "vinyl/CD" world that most people (including here) seem to see through. (Anyone here remember what a 4-track is??? Bonus: Anyone else here besides me that can claim they actually OWN one???) And let's face it, music retail is/was just as important to music and the charts as radio, so needless to say, it's that side of the equation that's always been my area of expertise...

Point being, for those who need a refresher, the CD format was first introduced overseas in 1982, and here in the U.S. in 1983. And let's not forget, at that time, not only were the players expensive ($500+), so were the CDs themselves (usually $20-$25 a pop). As such, the new digital format was primarily marketed to the upper class. Oh, and depending on the label/distributor, the jewel-cased discs came in two different types of 6" x 12" packaging: paper (cardboard longbox) and plastic (blister pack)...

To be blunt, to claim that within roughly a year-and-a-half - when 1985 had dawned - that "most new albums were being released on CD" is completely unfounded! Heck, "Billboard" magazine didn't even start publishing which titles were available in the still-quite-new format on its album charts until the February 2, 1985, issue. Furthermore, the U.S. hadn't yet even opened its first domestic CD pressing plant! (That wouldn't come till mid '85 - that's why for the first two years, all CDs sold in America were actually pressed in either Japan or West Germany, as well as a minute percentage in other countries...)

While likely not perfect, here's the exact number of titles that "Billboard" claimed was then currently available on CD on its 200-position "Top Pop Albums" chart when the info was first intoduced in the 02/02/85 issue:

albums in the top 10: 8 (80%)
albums in the top 20: 16 (80%)
albums in the top 50: 34 (68%)
albums in the top 100: 67 (67%)
albums in the top 200: 116 (58%)

And for added perspective, here are the same figures from the same chart as the year closed, in the issue dated 12/28/85:

albums in the top 10: 9 (90%)
albums in the top 20: 15 (75%)
albums in the top 50: 33 (66%)
albums in the top 100: 54 (54%)
albums in the top 200: 106 (53%)

Not only do these numbers show just how little the CD had yet to catch on by '85, they also indicate that, if anything, the number of titles available had actually REGRESSED slightly by the end of '85! Notice how the deeper you go into the charts, the more the percentages fall, clearly indicating that only gold- and platinum- selling artists were primarily getting the digital treatment. And one must also remember that even by '85, if an album got the CD treatment at all, many still trailed their vinyl LP and cassette counterparts onto store shelves by several weeks!

Bottom line: Even by the close of '85, since the "Billboard" charts didn't reflect ALL album releases hitting store shelves on a weekly basis - only the 200 best-sellers; i.e., the ones most likely to get issued on CD - the REAL percentage of albums being issued on CD here in the U.S. was LESS than 25%! Hardly what I'd call "most" - it simply WASN'T true. However, that's not to say that a good number of those albums originally released in '85 didn't eventually see a U.S. release on CD years later. Oh, and for the record, it wasn't actually until about the Spring of 1988(!) that ALL pop/r&b/country album releases from the majors began being issued on CD here in the U.S. (That's right - as late as early '88, there were still some releases from the majors that were coming out on LP & cassette ONLY. The cassette was king in the late '80s; the CD didn't even become America's format of choice until 1992...)

If you still don't believe me, I highly recommend investing in some old "Schwann" catalogs from the period; they'll pretty much tell you the same thing regarding format availability. (You can find back issues on eBay; I own over 200 myself dating from the early '70s to late '90s.) Another alternative that would be just as informative - but much more bulky - would be to track down an old edition of the "Phonolog" circa 1985-86. (Am I the only one here who remembers what that is???)

Furthermore, my brother happens to be one of the biggest sellers/collectors of vintage early to mid '80s CD pressings, and I often supply him w/ dozens of titles to sell/trade after going out on road trips. (Call me old-fashioned, but to this day, I still believe that hitting the road and getting your hands a little dirty is still the best - and most fun - way to collect music; not sitting at home in front of a computer!) So if you're also a collector of those older CDs, and have ever bought from him through eBay or the Steve Hoffman forum (as I know many folks here are also registered on those sites), he may very well have acquired that "target" CD of Yes' "90125" or that first Japan-for-U.S. pressing of Michael Jackson's "Thriller" from me and then passed it on to you, lol...

Todd Ireland wrote:
Also, does anyone know if Ta Mara & the Seen's self-titled LP from 1985 (which contains "Everybody Dance") was ever issued as a CD release?

Sadly, to this day, that album has NEVER come out on CD here in the U.S. - not even back in '85. That was one of the 75% of titles that were passed over at the time. Think about it: They were a new r&b group w/ no previous releases under their belt, and primarily aimed at the (poorer) black market. Do you really believe A&M was going to gamble on a $20 CD for them in late '85 (which would've likely sold less than 1,000 copies in the digital format), even AFTER "Everybody Dance" barely squeaked into the pop top 40??? I'm NOT knocking the band itself - in fact, "Everybody Dance" actually got top 40 airplay in SoCal (where I lived at the time), and I was sold on the song from the first time I heard it. Therefore, I'd run out and bought their s/t album on cassette by January of '86, and still have it to this day. But the album simply never took off, and by the time the CD format really had caught on several years later, "Everybody Dance" and the group itself had unfortunately both been long forgotten. However, they did release a follow-up, 1988's "Blueberry Gossip", which DID come out on CD here in the U.S. (have that one on cassette, too), but it's quite rare. I've seen the '85 s/t album on CD as an import on eBay a couple times, but it's also rare, not to mention expensive - don't have the import, but would like to get it on CD myself someday...

(Sorry for the rather long post!)
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 November 2011 at 9:14pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

80smusicfreak wrote:
Jody Thornton wrote:
What also shocks me is that 1985 was a year that most new albums were being released on CD.

Todd Ireland wrote:

When I first read Jody's above statement eight months ago, I remember shaking my head in disbelief, but decided not to comment. However, now that Todd is apparently backing him up, I find I can no longer stay silent on this. Generally speaking, I certainly consider the members of this board to be highly knowledgeable when it comes to music, but I have to admit, it sometimes amazes me how people who should know better seem to like to re-write history. In fact, I'm a little surprised that Paul Haney hasn't yet stepped in w/ something to say...

Well, all I can say is I'm shaking my head in disbelief right now because I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill regarding a rather trivial matter here, my friend. And quite frankly I don't appreciate your condescending lectures nor being accused of "re-writing history".

All I wanted to know is the answer to one simple question: Did Ta Mara & the Seen's self-titled CD ever get released on CD back in 1985? Period. I didn't ask for a haughty self-righteous diatribe about music sales history.

But since you insist on bringing it up... I do know the compact disc was invented in 1982. It would stand to reason that by 1985, the CD WAS gaining some traction in the market place and record labels WERE considering more new album releases for the CD format. Granted, some albums from 1985 didn't surface on CD until a year or two later as the medium continued to gain popularity, but I don't see anything preposterous about inquiring whether Ta Mara & the Seen was one of the titles released on CD. And did you ever stop to consider that since the group had landed a Top 30 single on the Billboard Top 100 with "Everybody Dance" that the group's exposure was increasing and therefore possible that an audience emerging OUTSIDE the traditional R&B market might have been interested in purchasing a Ta Mara & the Seen album, perhaps enough to warrant a release on the new CD format? I'm not at all suggesting this was a large number of folks, but record labels DO respond to public demand to varying degrees.

Now, I haven't researched and tabulated the number of albums from 1985 that were simultaneously released on CD (nor do I have any desire to do so), but a cursory glance of the number of 1985 albums in Pat's database released on CD back then certainly appears to far exceed your seemingly arbitrary 25% figure. Let's remember here that most of us on the forum are primarily interested in Top 40 hits on CD. I don't think it's a stretch to surmise that an album from 1985 containing at least one Top 40 single would have had a better chance of a simultaneous CD release than an album with no hits. And that's why I asked about Ta Mara & the Seen's CD availability.

I know you like to periodically remind the board of your affinity for cassette tapes and that's certainly your prerogative. What I don't understand though is why you seem to take it so personal whenever you feel cassettes are being "slighted" or not given their "proper due" on this forum and you respond by posting an epic novel lashing out at the "offenders"? First and foremost, like everyone else here, I'm here to help uncover and share information with my fellow Top 40 Music on CD collectors that is beneficial to our mutual quests to seek out Top 40 hits and their corresponding versions on CD. That said, can we get back to the original topic and at least agree there are far more important things in life to get worked up about than whether or not albums were commonly issued on CD in 1985?

Geez!!

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 April 2012 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

80smusicfreak wrote:
Jody Thornton wrote:

Todd Ireland wrote:

I can't believe it took me all this time to see this. But really, all new albums for the most part were coming out on CD in 1985 at least in Canada. Before that, it was hit and miss. I didn't say CDs were first released in 1985. I said that all new albums were generally coming out in 1985. Sheesh!

I first auditioned the compact disc at an Eaton's store in Hamilton, Ontario in the fall of 1983. It was "Titles" by Vangelis. I remember it sounding no better than a new LP, so I was not too impressed. But in any case, I was at record stores ALL THE TIME, and it wasn't until Spring 1985 that I noticed all albums coming out in the format.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version