Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Philip Upchurch - You Can’t Sit Down Pt 2 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 16 May 2012 at 4:38pm | IP Logged Quote Paul C

My U.S. commercial 45 of "You Can't Sit Down Part 2" by the Philip Upchurch Combo states the run time as (2:10), but I timed it at (2:18).

My copy (on Boyd Records) states that it was distributed by United Artists Records and gives the label number as UA-329. Joel Whitburn's publications give the label number as 3398. According to label images I've examined, this is the label number that appears on copies that do not state that they were distributed by United Artists. So it would appear that when United Artists took over the distribution of the record, they assigned to it their own label number.

To make matters even more confusing, the Billboard Hot 100 gave the label number as 1026, but the only label images I have seen with this number are promos.
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 May 2012 at 9:36am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Paul, just a quick note to say how very much I appreciate your large
50's/60's original 45 collection, your listed/actual timing info updates for
them, and the amazing amount of other details that you kindly post here on
a regular basis. Your "bonus particulars", such as the Boyd vs Boyd/UA
variation, and the 45 stock/promo # differences that result from it - I just
totally eat this stuff up! I usually own just one stock copy of most songs in
your "era wheelhouse". So the fact that you own multiple copies, and can
then "analyze/compare/contrast" them all. Wow! You so often un-earth
valuable new 45 details - just outstanding work by you, sir!
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 May 2012 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Paul:

Ditto what Jim said!
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 June 2012 at 2:33pm | IP Logged Quote Paul C

Thank you for your kind words, gentlemen, but my contribution to this board pales in comparison to that of the two of you.

I actually have only one copy of the Philip Upchurch 45. My comments on the various labels/numbers are based on label images I found online.

I started collecting Top 40 hits in the mid-80s, when the main source for oldies were compilation LPs and re-issue 45s. So for most Top 40 hits, I only own an original 45 if the song was not available on an LP or reissue 45 in the mid to late 80s.

My 45 dubs are all loaded into iTunes, so determining their run times only takes a few seconds. And since for almost every song, Joel Whitburn's Pop Annual 1955-1999 gives the printed run time rather than the actual run time, all it takes is a quick comparison between the two to determine which songs warrant further investigation.

(I was initially very disappointed when I got my copy of Pop Annual 1955-1999, since the run times were really the only reason I had bought it in the first place. The promotional material I had received from Record Research explicitly stated that the book contained the "exact" run times, which indicated to me that every record had actually been timed. Of course, it turned out that for almost every song the run time given in the book was the time printed on the label, which often differed from the actual run time. But it's actually turned out to be quite useful to have a listing of the printed run times. By the way, I've been noticing recently that in the few instances in which the printed and actual run times differ and Whitburn gives the correct run time, the sixth edition of Pat's book also gives this information.)

I am now trying to collect songs that were Top 40 hits in Canada but not in the U.S., of which there are more than 4000.

Edited by Paul C on 02 June 2012 at 3:05pm
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version