Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Take It on the Run" REO Speedwagon Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 29 January 2006 at 1:11am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Does anyone know where exactly the edit occurs in the single version of this song? The single is 3:35 (vs. the album which is about 4:00). Or can anyone email an mp3 of the single?

There's a 50-second guitar solo in the long version, and the single is shorter by 25 seconds, so I'm guessing they edit this section in half, but I have no idea where.

Edited by EdisonLite on 03 June 2010 at 8:27pm
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 January 2006 at 7:52am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

just sent you an mp3 of the edit version from the cd "classic rock vol 3"...........it's identical to the 45 version

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 29 January 2006 at 3:06pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I thought the same thing about the edit point, but it's actually not in the guitar solo. The edit cuts out one of the repeated choruses at the end of the song. Off the top of my head, I can't remember where they made the edit exactly, but I'm thinking it's from the middle of the first chorus to the middle of the second one.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 June 2010 at 8:31pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I just heard an edit of 'Take It on the Run' on an American Top 40 show from May 1981, and it has a different edit than the single edit described above. It actually has NO guitar solo at all (so it probably clocks in around 3:10 but I haven't checked.) Does anyone know if there was a 2nd edited promo single of this song, perhaps geared for AC stations, that eliminated the whole guitar solo, or if this is strictly an AT40-created edit? They often edit recordings themselves, so it's a strong possibility, but I kinda like this edit -- although the guitar solo player (Gary Richwrath?) would probably hit me for saying that. So I'd like to know if this is a legit edit or not.

Edited by EdisonLite on 03 June 2010 at 8:31pm
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

RichM921
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 June 2010 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote RichM921

The only edit version I know of is the one that edits the last chorus. (You're under the gun so you take it on the... (edit) ...ruuuuuuun. Heard it from a friend who...) At least that's where it sounds edited to me.

While I'm as much of an "edit" fan as any of you are, I never cared much for this one since it chops off the climax of the whole song. I guess they found it important to be under the 4-minute mark. Although it shouldn't have mattered since REO was the hottest thing going at that time. Even if it was 6 minutes, radio would have played it.
Back to Top View RichM921's Profile Search for other posts by RichM921

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version