Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: G-Clefs- Ka Ding Dong Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Robert
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 24 January 2012 at 5:38pm | IP Logged Quote Robert

I don't know how many of the CDs in the DB that this applies to, but the version of this song is an alternate version, or probably more accurately, an alternate take, on Ace-Golden Age #5; Varese-25 More All time Doo-Wop Hits, and CBS-Bop Rock 'n' Roll. I don't have any of the other CDs, but I'm guessing that since they all time at 1:57, they are the same one. Incidentally, it's sped up, too. The correct 45 time is a hair short of 2:00. The tip-off is the recurring "...cause I want you / 'cause I need you lines. They're reversed on the 45. Can anybody shed some light on this?
Back to Top View Robert's Profile Search for other posts by Robert

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 January 2012 at 6:16pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

BTW, on Rhino's Doo Wop Box Vol. 2 this song has the reversed lyrics plus the shorter run time. This is quite a discovery after all this time. Interesting catch Robert.   

Ringmaster_D
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 January 2012 at 4:26pm | IP Logged Quote Ringmaster_D

Robert or Santi, can you provide more details about the reversed lyrics, such as at what time they occur? I want to check some of my import collections to see if I can find the true 45 version. Thanks!
Back to Top View Ringmaster_D's Profile Search for other posts by Ringmaster_D

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 January 2012 at 6:49pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

I hear "cause I want you, cause I need you" at 1:40 to 1:45. Is this what you hear Robert?

Robert
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 February 2012 at 10:53pm | IP Logged Quote Robert

Sorry to have taken so long with this, but I've just finished a comparison of the two. Here is my best take on it:

First, at the :18 mark: The alt (CD) version lyrics are: "My heart goes ding dong ding, when I'm near you it goes ding dong ding, when I'm near you you it goes ding dong ding, cause I want you it goes ding dong(two beats of cow bell) ding dong (four more cowbell beats)."

The vinyl 45 lyrics are: "My heart goes ding dong ding, when I'm near you it goes ding dong ding, cause I want you it goes ding dong ding, cause I need you it goes ding dong (two beats of cow bell) ding dong (four more cowbell beats).

Then at approximately :47, the alt (CD) version lyrics are: "My heart goes ding dong ding, when I'm near you it goes ding dong ding, when I want you it goes ding dong ding, cause I need you it goes ding dong (two beats of cow bell) ding dong (four more cowbell beats).

The vinyl 45 lyrics are: "My heart goes ding dong ding, cause I want you it goes ding dong ding, cause I need you it goes ding dong ding, cause I want you it goes ding dong (two beats of cow bell) ding dong (four more cowbell beats).

Then at approximately 1:38, the alt (CD) version lyrics are: "My heart goes ding dong ding, cause I want you it goes ding dong ding, cause I need you it goes ding dong ding, cause I want you it goes ding dong, try it again (w/two beats of cow bell in background), ding dong, one more time (w/four more cowbell beats in the background), ding dong ding dong ka-ding dong ding dong hey."

The vinyl 45 lyrics are: "My heart goes ding dong ding, when I'm near you it goes ding dong ding, cause I want you it goes ding dong ding, cause I need you it goes ding dong, try it again (w/two beats of cow bell in background), ding dong, one more time (w/four more cowbell beats in the background), ding dong ding dong ka-ding dong ding dong hey."

The is more of a lingering reverb on the 45 that's missing on the CD. I'm assuming it's because the vinyl was processed.

Also, there's what sounds like an edit at about :24 that convinces me that the CD version was the original take and that someone decided to alter the lines so they flowed better or perhaps made more sense. In other words, I suspected that the vinyl 45 was created from the CD version. So I decided to take a crack at it. If you guys are interested in the result (and if you promise not to laugh), I'll share it with you so you can decide for yourselves. E-mail me if you'd like it.

Incidentally, the 45 is Pilgrim 45-715. Listed time is 2:00; actual time is 1:59.

That's all I've got, guys, maybe someone can confirm, deny, or add something.
Back to Top View Robert's Profile Search for other posts by Robert

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 February 2012 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote davidclark

this is where we need our buddies with an original 45 to chime in!

Ringmaster_D
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 February 2012 at 12:13pm | IP Logged Quote Ringmaster_D

Thanks Robert. Looks like your 45 is the original release. I've sent you a PM. If the song can be re-edited to create the single version I will give a shot. I'll keep everyone posted on my findings.

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 February 2012 at 9:30am | IP Logged Quote davidclark

good luck, Ringmaster. I continue to be amazed at the sheer number of
tracks that the members of this board continue to discover that the CD
versions are not the same as the original 45.

Ringmaster_D
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 March 2012 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote Ringmaster_D

Hi Dave & Bob.

I haven't gotten around to making my own edit yet, but here are my findings based on Bob's 45 rip and his own edit.

- First, Bob did a noble job of trying to reconstruct the 45 from our available CD sources. I'm not sure the edits are exactly in the right places but they are darn close.

- I'm suspicious that a song of this vintage would have 3 major edits the way this one does, essentially swapping (at least parts of) 3 choruses. I'm still not convinced that we're not talking about an alternate take here. Is there anyone with good ears out there up to listening for any audio "tells"?

- All CD sources run faster than the 45. They need to be slowed down by about 1.7%.

- The waveform from Ace's Golden Age of American R&R vol 5 is closer to the 45 than my other source, Rhino's Doo Wop Box 2. That said, the 45 has additional reverb and is also EQ'ed differently than the CD sources .

Whew. That's all for now. Additional input welcomed.

Dave

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 March 2012 at 11:36am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

So has the correct hit version of the G-Clefs' "Ka-Ding Dong" appeared anywhere on CD? There are several database CDs from the Collectables label that currently do not have an "alternate take" comment, but I don't know for certain if the comment is simply missing or if these discs really do contain the 45 version. The reason I question this is because numerous other Collectables CDs contain the alternate take.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 07 March 2012 at 11:40am
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 08 March 2012 at 7:29am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Yes there are several Collectables cd's listed in the database that do contain the correct 45 version.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 April 2012 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I picked up a copy of the Doo Wop as Seen on TV Volume 9 various artists CD (Collectables 8591) which contains the correct 45 version. Let me just say that the sound quality is HORRENDOUS, as if it was mastered from a fourth or fifth generation tape! Not only is the mid-range overpowering, but a heavy-handed amount of noise reduction was applied to the point where the recording sounds extremely murky and dull.

The sound quality of the song on The Golden Age of American Rock 'n' Roll - Volume Five UK import CD on Ace is WAY better, but am I correct that a true 45 version can't be re-created from it because the 45 contains additional reverb?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Ringmaster_D
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 April 2012 at 9:27am | IP Logged Quote Ringmaster_D

Todd,

I picked up the same CD and came to the same conclusion. They either used a very high generation tape, or, as I suspect, a poor vinyl dub with major noise reduction. Perhaps the edited 45 master is long gone and that's why Ace and Rhino chose to release what was probably the unedited master take.

I think an enterprising soul could edit the Ace CD to match the 45--Robert did a pretty good job of it. Yes, the reverb won't match exactly, but it's probably the next best thing to a pristine vinyl rip. Any takers?

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 November 2013 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

At Ringmaster's request I compared the 45 version with the alternate. Pat's description of "alternate take" is 100% accurate.    
I synchronized (actually, attempted to synch) the 2 versions. Even after matching the pitch..it doesn't work. Except for the swapped-around chorus lyrics, he sang the 2 takes extremely close, so it's hard to tell.
But sadly, no edit can be done to match the single. It's a shame it sounds so terrible on the Collectables cd's.
MM
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version