Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: OT: Rod Stewart -- All Right Now Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 16 November 2011 at 12:35am | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Rod Stewart's (perhaps ill-advised) remake of Free's "All Right Now" hit the Hot 100 in December of 1984, but struggled to make it to #72 on January 12th of 1985. It was #96 the next week, and gone the week after that. Ouch!

As a child of the 80s who (at the time) didn't have an appreciation for that "old" version, I thought it was pretty cool one of "our generation"s artists (didn't connect him to his 70s hits at the time!) had brought it into the 80s... with synthesizers and everything!

I still enjoy it, but have learned to accept that many others did not; and I also have learned to love Free's original version.

My question for the board is: do you know how to edit the album version down the 7" single version?

The label claims it runs 3:55, while the album version runs 4:43. A video version online tracks with the album version until about 3:21, where there is an ad-lib by Rod that's not on the album version anywhere... what follows appears to be a jigsaw puzzle of Rod's ad-libs, impossible (or nearly impossible) to get into the correct order... IF all the elements are even on the album version in the FIRST place.

I took out 3:21 to 4:08 and get a file length of 3:55... which happens to match the label. It sounds reasonably right to my ears, but it's been 25+ years since I've heard this on top 40 radio.

I wondered if #1 anybody knew if the 7" single version could be made from the album version, and #2, what the heck those edits are, and in what order!

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version