Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: New Billy Joel Box set with Bonus Disc Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Fetta
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 20 September 2011 at 11:02am | IP Logged Quote Fetta

Will the bonus disc of rarities have some of the gems we've all been looking for?

http://www.myplaydirect.com/billy-joel/details/25855756?cid= lg:abk&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=billyjoel.com&utm_cont ent=lightbox
Back to Top View Fetta's Profile Search for other posts by Fetta

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 September 2011 at 11:29am | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

Here's what it says on his website: http://www.billyjoel.com/us/news

In addition to offering brand-new remasters of every Billy Joel studio album, Billy Joel - The Complete Albums Collection includes two lavish 60-page booklets, printed lyrics to every Billy Joel composition, a new Q&A with Billy conducted by noted music journalist Steve Morse, and a bonus disc of 17 rare and non-album recordings including "Elvis Presley Boulevard" (B-side of the "Allentown" single, 1982); the live cover version of the Beatles' "I'll Cry Instead" (B-side of "An Innocent Man," 1983); "House Of Blue Light" (B-side of "We Didn't Start The Fire," 1989); and "You Picked A Real Bad Time" (B-side of "All About Soul," 1993). "You're Only Human (Second Wind)" and "The Night Is Still Young" are outtakes that did not see light of day until 1985.

Several tracks on the bonus disc originated as Billy Joel's contributions to various multi-artist movie soundtracks, notably his covers of the Elvis Presley hits "Heartbreak Hotel" and "All Shook Up," both from 1992's Honeymoon In Vegas. Billy covered Lloyd Price's 1959 hit, "Where Were You On Our Wedding Day," for the 1999 movie, Runaway Bride, and Duke Ellington's "In A Sentimental Mood" for A League Of Their Own in 1992. In 1982, Billy Joel contributed his original "Nobody Knows But Me" to In Harmony II, a Columbia LP to benefit Sesame Street/Children's Television Workshop.

Other cover tunes on the bonus disc range from Bob Dylan's "To Make You Feel My Love" and Leonard Cohen's "Light as the Breeze" to the Gerry Goffin-Carole King standard "Hey Girl" (Freddie Scott, 1963). In 1991, Billy Joel contributed "When You Wish Upon A Star" to Columbia's Disney tribute album, Simply Mad About The Mouse. And in 2001, Billy Joel sang the Beach Boys' "Don't Worry Baby" at the Radio City Music Hall All-Star Tribute to Brian Wilson concert.

The exclusive bonus disc included on Billy Joel - The Complete Albums Collection closes with "All My Life," a 2007 single (which marked Billy's first newly-written song since 1993's River of Dreams) now making its first appearance on an album.

Fetta
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 September 2011 at 12:10pm | IP Logged Quote Fetta

I can actually answer this myself.... Did some research and EVERY SINGLE track except for 2 on the "bonus disc" has been inlcuded on the My Lives box set or his Greatest Hits collections. I am a HUGE Billy Joel fan but the fact that he and Columbia keep on rehashing the same material is a little frustrating. Outside of the remasterting and cool box, IMO, there is not much for either the casual or the hardcore Billy Joel fan. Here is what is on the "bonus disc"

Elvis Presley Boulevard" (B-side of the "Allentown" single) - already included on "My Lives" - Box set

"I'll Cry Instead" (B-side of "An Innocent Man")- already included on "My Lives" - Box set

"House Of Blue Light" (B-side of "We Didn't Start The Fire"- already included on "My Lives" - Box set

"You Picked A Real Bad Time" (B-side of "All About Soul") - already included on "My Lives" - Box set

"You're Only Human (Second Wind)" on Greatest Hits 1 and 2 and Great Hits Box Set
"The Night Is Still Young" - on Greatest Hits 1 and 2 and Greatest Hits Box Set

"Heartbreak Hotel" - already included on "My Lives" - Box set

"All Shook Up," (from "Honeymoon In Vegas")- already included on "My Lives" - Box set

"Where Were You On Our Wedding Day," from "Runaway Bride" - already included on "My Lives" - Box set

"In A Sentimental Mood" from "A League Of Their Own" - already included on "My Lives" - Box set

"Nobody Knows But Me" from "In Harmony II" - already included on "My Lives" - Box set

"To Make You Feel My Love" - on Greatest Hits 3 and Greatest Hits Box set and "My Lives"

"Light as the Breeze" - on Greatest Hits 3, Grestest Hits Box Set and on "My Lives" - Box set

"Hey Girl" - on Greatest Hits 3, Grestest Hits Box Set and on "My Lives" - Box set

"When You Wish Upon A Star" (from "Simply Mad About The Mouse") - already included on "My Lives" - Box set

"Don't Worry Baby" Live at the Radio City Music Hall All-Star Tribute to Brian Wilson concert.

"All My Life"

Edited by Fetta on 20 September 2011 at 12:11pm

Fetta
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 September 2011 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote Fetta

Hey Santi Paradoa... Looks like you beat me to it.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 September 2011 at 3:11pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

<"You're Only Human (Second Wind)" and "The Night Is Still Young" are outtakes that did not see light of day until 1985. >

I thought these were actually recorded in '85. When are each of these from, exactly?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

chendagam
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 August 2015 at 8:54pm | IP Logged Quote chendagam

EdisonLite wrote:
<"You're Only Human (Second Wind)" and "The
Night Is Still Young" are outtakes that did not see light of day until
1985. >

I thought these were actually recorded in '85. When are each of these
from, exactly?

Anyone have info on this? I just picked the 45 up at a show yesterday
and didn't realize it was a good find until looking here. Was the single
version ever released on CD?
Back to Top View chendagam's Profile Search for other posts by chendagam

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 August 2015 at 9:47am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I don't think either edit has ever shown up on CD, certainly not "You're Only Human".
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

chendagam
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 August 2015 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote chendagam

Anyone ever find out what era they are from. 45 says 1985 since
that's when the GH was released but sounds more like his 70s stuff.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 August 2015 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I've never seen anything in print regarding when those two songs were written or recorded.

"You're Only Human" has a live drummer playing pads that trigger sounds from a synth bank. That would have fit right in in 1983 or 1984, with songs like Duran Duran's "Hungry Like The Wolf", Saga's "Wind Him Up", and Jeffrey Osborne's "Stay With Me Tonight" doing the same thing.

chendagam
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 August 2015 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote chendagam

Yes "You're Only Human" sounds early 80s but "The Night Is Still
Young" sounds like his early material.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 August 2015 at 2:42pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Fetta wrote:

"House Of Blue Light" (B-side of "We Didn't Start The
Fire"- already included on "My Lives" - Box set

BTW, "House of Blue Light" is not the original single mix
on the boxed set.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 August 2015 at 3:53pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

This article indicates both were newly recorded for the GH1&2 album:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?
id=YIsvAAAAIBAJ&sjid=pNwFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1560,403216&dq=you-
re+only+human+billy-joel&hl=en

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 August 2015 at 4:32am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

I'd always heard that those two songs were indeed recorded specifically for inclusion in the Greatest Hits Vol. I & II collection.
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version